A fire that started in a malfunctioning generator sent thick smoke billowing into the Taney County Jail in Forsyth, MO, last September 14th, killing four prisoners. Thirteen other prisoners were hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
The fire began when an extension cord connected to a battery charger on an auxiliary generation short-circuited. Electrical power was lost because of the short circuit, and the jail's electronically controlled cell doors would not open.
Inmates were trapped in their cells until fire fighters arrived with air masks and used special tools to open each cell. The fire never spread to the jail itself.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login