Youngstown Case Reveals New Legal Issues for Prisoner Advocates, State Correctional Agencies and Private Prison Companies
Loaded on March 15, 2000 by Al Gerhardstein published in Prison Legal News March, 2000, page 1
Filed under: Out of State Transfers, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, HIV/AIDS, Systemic Medical Neglect, Medical Records, Escapes, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Attorney Fee Awards, Injunctions (PLRA), Guard Brutality/Beatings, Civil Procedure, Damages, Settlements, Defenses, State Law Claims, Standing, Parties, Qualified Immunity, Contractor Liability, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death). Location: Ohio.
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Youngstown Case Reveals New Legal Issues for Prisoner Advocates, State Correctional Agencies and Private Prison Companies, by Al Gerhardstein
- $1.5 Million Settlement in CA Jail Suicide Attempt
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Pro Se Tips and Tactics, by John Midgley
- Hearing Required Prior to Automatic Termination Under PLRA
- Guarding Their Silence: Corcoran Guards Acquitted of Rape, by Christian Parenti
- Megan's Law Fallout, by Willie Wisely
- CCPOA Runs Corcoran TV 'Ads'
- Review: With Liberty for Some: 500 Years of Imprisonment in America, by Rick Card
- The Keeper of the Keys, by Rick Card
- Gender and Justice: Women, Drugs, and Sentencing Policy
- Dean Injunction Clarified in Washington 35% Suit
- Washington DOC Settles Mail Censorship Suit
- Washington DOC Public Disclosure Overcharges Struck Down
- Class Certification Appeals Must Be Timely
- New Folsom Year Long Lockdown, by Willie Wisely
- Michigan DOC Settles Lawsuit Over PLN Book Ban
- Michigan Legislature Kills Class Action Suit by Female Prisoners, by Maia Justine Storm
- PLRA Attorney Fees Cap Violates Equal Protection Clause
- No Liberty Interest in Erroneous Parole Release, by Paul Wright
- Third Circuit Evenly Split on PLRA Attorney Fee Cap
- Brazoria Trial Brings Acquittals, Convictions in Jail Beatings
- CCA Facility Cited for Sex Scandal
- ADA and RA May Require Sign Language Interpreters
- Out-of-State Prisoner Housing Contracts Subject to Long-Arm Jurisdiction
- News in Brief
More from Al Gerhardstein:
More from these topics:
- $132,300 Awarded to Florida Prisoner After Hand Crushed in Cell Door, June 21, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Conditions of Confinement, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Louisiana Prisoner Beaten by Prison Guards Settles Civil Rights Claim, June 21, 2018. Medical, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- California Prisoner Threatened and Maltreated by Prison Guards Settles, June 21, 2018. Threats by Staff, Racial Discrimination, Retaliation, Searches, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Excessive Force, Guards/Staff, First Amendment, rights.
- Mother of California State Prisoner Receives Settlement in Wrongful Death of Son, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Wrongful Death.
- Mother of Utah Prisoner Who Starved to Death in County Jail Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Food, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- California Prisoner Denied Adequate Exercise Time Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018. Eighth Amendment, Exercise.
- Daughter of Texas Prisoner Who Died from Asthma Attack Receives Settlement, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Ventilation, Wrongful Death.
- $50,000 Settlement for New York Female Prisoner Fondled by Physician's Assistant, June 20, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Staff Assault, Dental Care, Eighth Amendment, Settlements, First Amendment, rights, Fourth Amendment, rights, Fourteenth Amendment, rights, Fifth Amendment.
- $45,000 Settlement Ends Pennsylvania Prisoner Federal Assault Suit Against Guards, June 20, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Conditions of Confinement, Settlements.
- $1,500 Settlement After New York Prisoner Claims Smoke Injuries, June 20, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Conditions of Confinement, Smoking, Settlements.