Loaded on Oct. 15, 2000 published in Prison Legal News October, 2000, page 15
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- The Penal System and the U.S. Labor Market, by Bruce Western
- Massachusetts Prisoners' Political Action Committee Floundering
- NH Supreme Court Overturns Prisoner Voting Rights, by Ronald Young
- Habeas Hints: Statute of Limitations, by Kent Russell
- Ohio Prison Food Contract Sparks Controversy
- First Federal Execution Postponed, by Bill Dunne
- Nassau Jail Guards Convicted, Sentenced for Fatal Beating
- No Immunity in Denying Kosher Diet
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Madrid v. Gomez, Adopts Martin v. Hadix
- Nominal Damages Not Monetary Award Under PLRA Attorney's Fees Cap
- $100,000 Settlement in TX Restraint Chair/Pepper Spray Death
- VP's Drug Dealer Still Litigating Retaliation Claim
- California Private Prison Riot, by Willie Wisely
- $50,000 to Settle CA Jail Beating Suit
- Crack in the Federal Scheme: The October Rebellion of 1995, by Bill Dunne
- New Jersey Parole Board Chief Resigns
- Escape Costs Oklahoma Private Prison $304,375
- OK Private Prison Fined $168,750
- Wisconsin Ban on Crosses Struck Down
- HIV+ Detainee States Conditions Claim
- Administrative Exhaustion Required in Bivens Suits
- Claim Exhausted When Prison Refuses Grievance Appeal
- No Administrative Exhaustion Required When AG Won't Give Hearing, by Paul Wright
- Family Wins $12.9 Million Award in Michigan Jail Death Suit, by Ronald Young
- WI DOC Ends Censorship of PLN
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
- Arpaio Runs for Reelection on Backs of Prisoners, For the Third Time, by Paul Wright
More from these topics:
- 15 Years to Life for Jailers Who Beat Mentally Ill Prisoner to Death, Aug. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Prison/Jail Murders, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Mental Health.
- North Carolina Prison Guard Beaten, Stabbed; Sources Say His Past Brutality Made Him a Target, Aug. 7, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Assaults on Staff.
- Tennessee Jailer Convicted of Official Misconduct, “Extreme Provocative Contact”, Aug. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct.
- $375,000 Settlement for Ohio Woman Pepper Sprayed in Jail’s Restraint Chair, Aug. 6, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints.
- Arizona Man Falsely Arrested, Prosecuted by Iowa Officials Accepts $285,000 Settlement, Aug. 6, 2018. Settlements, Defenses, False Arrest.
- New Jersey Jail Scrutinized after Suicides; Guards Charged, Families Sue, Aug. 4, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- Federal Jury Awards Texas Man $169,128 in Excessive Force Claim Against Sheriff’s Deputy, July 27, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Guards/Staff.
- $30,000 Settlement Reached for New Jersey Prisoner Assaulted by Guards, July 27, 2018. Pain, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Staff Training.
- $125,000 Awarded to Pennsylvania Prisoner over Excessive Force by Guards, July 27, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Retaliation, Pain, Skeletal Injury, Eighth Amendment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Pennsylvania Prisoner Receives Settlement from Guards over Excessive Force Suit, July 26, 2018. Racial Discrimination, Retaliation, Excessive Force, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints.