Loaded on Oct. 15, 2000 published in Prison Legal News October, 2000, page 15
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- The Penal System and the U.S. Labor Market, by Bruce Western
- Massachusetts Prisoners' Political Action Committee Floundering
- NH Supreme Court Overturns Prisoner Voting Rights, by Ronald Young
- Habeas Hints: Statute of Limitations, by Kent Russell
- Ohio Prison Food Contract Sparks Controversy
- First Federal Execution Postponed, by Bill Dunne
- Nassau Jail Guards Convicted, Sentenced for Fatal Beating
- No Immunity in Denying Kosher Diet
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Madrid v. Gomez, Adopts Martin v. Hadix
- Nominal Damages Not Monetary Award Under PLRA Attorney's Fees Cap
- $100,000 Settlement in TX Restraint Chair/Pepper Spray Death
- VP's Drug Dealer Still Litigating Retaliation Claim
- California Private Prison Riot, by Willie Wisely
- $50,000 to Settle CA Jail Beating Suit
- Crack in the Federal Scheme: The October Rebellion of 1995, by Bill Dunne
- New Jersey Parole Board Chief Resigns
- Escape Costs Oklahoma Private Prison $304,375
- OK Private Prison Fined $168,750
- Wisconsin Ban on Crosses Struck Down
- HIV+ Detainee States Conditions Claim
- Administrative Exhaustion Required in Bivens Suits
- Claim Exhausted When Prison Refuses Grievance Appeal
- No Administrative Exhaustion Required When AG Won't Give Hearing, by Paul Wright
- Family Wins $12.9 Million Award in Michigan Jail Death Suit, by Ronald Young
- WI DOC Ends Censorship of PLN
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
- Arpaio Runs for Reelection on Backs of Prisoners, For the Third Time, by Paul Wright
More from these topics:
- California Department of Corrections Settles for $96,300 and Agreement to Provide Disabled Access, May 18, 2018. Settlements, Americans with Disabilities Act, Rehabilitation Act.
- Wiccan Prisoner Gains Right to Religious Practices within California Prisons, May 18, 2018. Religious Discrimination, Settlements, Denial of Religious Services.
- Prisoner Awarded $25,000 Against Texas Guard Who Facilitated Assault, May 17, 2018. Prison Gangs, Injury -- Misc., Damages, Depositions, Trials.
- Death of California Homeless Man in Police Custody Yields $4.675 Million to Family, May 17, 2018. Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Police ‘Command and Control’ Culture Is Often Lethal — Especially for People With Disabilities, May 11, 2018. Excessive Force, Mental Health, Police.
- $150,000 Jury Award Against NYPD for Excessive Force, False Arrest, May 9, 2018. Excessive Force, False Arrest, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Honoring Police Includes Acknowledging Systemic Reform Is Needed, May 9, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Discrimination, War on Drugs, Excessive Force, Police, False Arrest.
- New Jersey Student Receives $290,000 Settlement after July 4 Police Assault, May 9, 2018. Medical, Injury -- Misc., Excessive Force, Settlements, Staff Training, Excessive Force (Police).
- Unlawful Raid by Indiana State Excise Police Results in Settlement, May 9, 2018. Excessive Force, Settlements, False Arrest, First Amendment, rights, Fourth Amendment, rights, Fourteenth Amendment, rights, Fifth Amendment.
- Wrongful Death Case Against New York Jail Settles for $101,500, May 9, 2018. Correctional Medical Care, Eighth Amendment, Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.