A man who was incarcerated in a New Mexico jail for 18 days settled his lawsuit against county commissioners and jail officials for $750,000 in December 2015.
Michael Faziani, who lives in Tennessee, moved temporarily to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico to receive treatment for his severe back pain ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- “This Man Will Almost Certainly Die”
- Missouri County Settles Suit Over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $260,000
- Heck Satisfied if Ruling Fails to Address Issues but Reverses Conviction
- Reforms at New Orleans Jail Slow to Materialize; Death Reporting Problematic, by David Reutter
- Michigan Prison Guards Fired Following Suicide Bet
- Pennsylvania: DA Apologizes for Undisclosed Gifts
- Private Jail Contractor’s Insurance Excludes Coverage of Detainee’s Death
- South African Prison Evacuated Due to Squalor; Two Prisoners Die from Rat-Borne Disease, by Christopher Zoukis
- Photo of Prisoner Beaten by Georgia Gang Members Posted Online
- Tennessee Sheriff’s Willful Denial of Public Records Merits PLN Attorney Fee Award
- Wardens “Retire” from Two California Women’s Prisons
- Ferguson, Missouri Under Fire for Revenue-based Criminal Justice System, by Christopher Zoukis
- Tennessee District Attorney Ends Sterilization in Plea Bargains; Prosecutor Fired, by David Reutter
- Another Appeal in New York Post-Release Supervision Case, by Matthew Clarke
- Former Warden, Sheriff, Justice of the Peace Charged in Texas Corruption Scandal, by Matthew Clarke
- Corrections Officials Stealing Prisoners’ Identities a Growing Problem, by Christopher Zoukis
- Corizon Faces Suit for Failing to Administer Tube Feedings to Pennsylvania Prisoner
- Tenth Circuit Rules on $3.38 Million Verdict in CCA Prison Sexual Abuse Case, by Derek Gilna
- Corizon, CCA Settle Lawsuit Over Solitary Confinement of Elderly Woman, by Matthew Clarke
- New Study Documents Lower Pre-arrest Incomes for Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Are French Prisons Radicalizing Muslim Prisoners?, by Joe Watson
- Prison Survival Guides Find Audience Beyond Soon-to-be Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Merits Ruling on Procedurally Flawed Grievance Satisfies PLRA
- Father of Four Dies in Privately-operated Texas Jail; Civil Suit Expected
- Phoenix Fire Investigators and Insurance Company Implicated in Wrongful Prosecutions, by Joe Watson
- Missouri: Habeas Corpus Granted to Prisoner Denied Jail Credit
- If the Risk is Low, Let Them Go
- California Prison Employees Reap Staggering Overtime Payments, by Christopher Zoukis
- Attica Prison Guards Who Viciously Beat Prisoner Avoid Jail Time but Lose Jobs
- Fifth Circuit Holds Louisiana Prisoner May Sue Over Failure to Credit Good Time , by Matthew Clarke
- $500,000 in Settlements after Utah Prisoner Dies when Medical Technician Doesn’t Show up for Work, by Christopher Zoukis
- Missouri Governor Doesn’t Have to Serve as Public Defender
- More Suicides, Overdoses and Murders in California Prisons, According to Death Review Report, by Joe Watson
- Ninth Circuit Declines to Enforce Procedural Bar When Prison Officials Waive Rule
- Prison Rodeos: A Bunch of Bull?, by David Reutter
- New Mexico County Officials Settle Jail Prisoner’s Suit for $750,000
- Ninth Circuit Adopts Test to Excuse Exhaustion of Administration Remedies for Retaliatory Threats
- Connecticut Prisoners File Suit Over Exposure to Radon Gas, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- Prominent Texas Capital Defense Attorney Suspended for a Year
- Potential Class-action Suit over Domestic Violence “Victim Fees” in Georgia
- Widespread Failures at Crime Labs Continue to Plague Criminal Justice System , by Derek Gilna
- Private Prison in Texas Closes after Riot Renders it Uninhabitable, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Illinois Federal Jury Awards Prisoner $252,100 for Beating and Denial of Medical Care, Jan. 8, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Retaliatory Segregation, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- $1 Million Award for Two Women Sexually Assaulted by Florida Jail Guard, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- New Mexico DOC Guards Receive $2.5 Million Settlement for Sexual Harassment, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Harassment, Staff-Staff Harassment, Supervisor-Staff Harassment, Settlements.
- Colorado County Pays $800,000 for Latest Excessive Force Settlement, Jan. 8, 2019. Medical, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Book Seller Sued for Defrauding Federal Prisons, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements.
- $3.279 Million in Costs and Fees Awarded in Wrongful Death Suit Involving Epileptic Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Settlement in HRDC Suit Against Solitary Confinement of Juveniles at Florida Jail, Jan. 8, 2019. Conditions of Confinement, Settlements, Juvenile Prisons.
- $32,000 Settlement in Excessive Force Case Involving Mentally Ill Alabama Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Disabled Prisoners, Excessive Force, Settlements.
- $750,000 Settlement for Family of Man Who Died in Illinois Jail, Jan. 8, 2019. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.