A $2.09 million settlement was reached in a lawsuit stemming from the death of a prisoner who was denied medical care at Pennsylvania’s Allegheny County Jail.
Derek E. Black, 28, was involved in an April 16, 2012 altercation with another prisoner and placed in solitary confinement. Several days later ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Poor Parents Fail to Pay Child Support, Go to Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Third Circuit Reverses Dismissal of New Jersey Prisoner’s Suit
- Securus Settles Lawsuit Alleging Improper Recording of Privileged Prisoner Calls
- $81,200 for North Carolina Prisoner’s Estate in Breach of Duty Suit
- Prison and Jail Officials Face New Challenge: Drones Used to Smuggle Contraband, by Lonnie Burton
- Termination of Consent Decree at Mississippi Prison Denied; Facility to Close, by David Reutter
- Fourth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Virginia Prisoner’s Religious Freedom Suit
- Taxpayer-funded Drug Rehab Empire Collapses under Lawsuits, Indictments, by Joe Watson
- Untreated Intoxication Death at Massachusetts Jail Results in $232,500 Settlement
- Condoms Now Available to Prisoners in Three States, by Joe Watson
- Prisoner’s Healthy Kidney Erroneously Removed; Surgeon Receives Probation, by David Reutter
- Correctional Medical Care Illegally Practiced Medicine in New York, by David Reutter
- Advanced Correctional Healthcare’s Business Model Blamed for Prisoner Deaths, Injuries
- New York City’s Rikers Island Jail Agrees to Federal Consent Decree, Reforms, by Derek Gilna
- Death Penalty Case Reveals Morgue Worker Had Sex with 100 Female Corpses
- Oregon DOC Sees Spike in Gang-related Murders, by Mark Wilson
- Oklahoma DOC Creates “Dream Team” for Botched Executions with Hires from Arizona, by Joe Watson
- A Victory in the Fight to Stop Prisoner Rape
- Judge Denies Motion to Nullify Orleans Parish Prison Health Care Contract, by David Reutter
- Despite Initial Approval, Belgian Prisoner Denied Euthanasia, by Derek Gilna
- Registered Sex Offenders Fall Victim to “Vigilante Justice”
- Women and Children First ... to be Held in Detention, by Joe Watson
- Family Connections Bill Signed into Law in Illinois, by Carrie Wilkinson
- Outcomes of California’s Proposition 47, by Joe Watson
- Private Prison Firms: Family Detention, Federal Contracts and For-profit Reentry Services, by Bob Libal
- Suicides Plague North Carolina Prison System
- Sixth Circuit Holds PLRA’s Physical Injury Rule Inapplicable to First Amendment Claims
- Wrongfully-convicted Former Prisoner Receives $13.2 Million in FBI Hair Analysis Case, by Derek Gilna
- Michigan Courthouse Shooting Leaves 3 Dead, 2 Injured
- India’s Supreme Court Orders Prison and Jail Reforms, by Derek Gilna
- Louisiana Sheriff Faces Recall Petition, Federal Indictments
- Massachusetts Prisoners Involved in Reform Efforts Transferred, Held in Solitary, by Christopher Zoukis
- Mexico: Drug Cartel Used Prison to Dispose of Bodies
- Department of Justice Announces Plan to Phase Out For-profit Prisons
- Georgia Prosecutor Arrested for Political Ads; Had Previously Secured Indictment Against Judge
- California: Jail’s Unsolicited Publication Distribution Ban Upheld, by Mark Wilson
- Juvenile Sexual Assault Victims of Dr. William Ayres: The Forgotten Victims, by Victoria Balfour
- Allegheny County Reaches $2.09 Million Settlement for Prisoner’s Death
- The Fight for Comprehensive Prison Phone Reform Continues, by Carrie Wilkinson
- North Carolina Prisoners and Former Employees Describe “Boom-Boom Room”
- Navy Nurse Refuses to Force-feed Guantanamo Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Sexual Assault Victim Awarded $1.5 Million in Lawsuit against Illinois Prison Guard, by Christopher Zoukis
- Appeal Doesn’t Stay ODOC’s “Second Look” Release Plan Obligation, by Mark Wilson
- Obama Issues Another 214 Commutations for Federal Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Jail Prisoner’s Death Results in $1 Million Judgment against Texas County, by Matthew Clarke
- Mentally Ill Oregon Prisoner’s Wrongful Death Suit Settles for $7.4 Million, by Mark Wilson
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Baby Dies Days After Prisoner Gives Birth in Isolation Cell at Texas Jail, Feb. 5, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Medical, OB/GYN, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Federal Judge Orders Prison Doctor to Face Deliberate Indifference Claims, Feb. 5, 2019. Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect, Eighth Amendment.
- $1 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Texas Jail Prisoner’s Death, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Seventh Circuit Denies Wisconsin Prisoner’s Claims Against Medical Staff, Feb. 5, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect.
- Virginia Jail Officials Indicted on Civil Rights Violations, Feb. 5, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Jail Misconduct, FBI.
- Eighth Circuit: Severe Pain Caused by Actual Injury Satisfies PLRA Physical Injury Requirement, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Criminal justice system reform, Medical, Pain, Surgery, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (General), PLRA, Physical Injury Rule, Excessive Force.
- New York City Pays $280,000 to Settle Suit after Visitor Assaulted by Jail Guards, Feb. 4, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Guard Misconduct, Gay/Lesbian, Visiting.
- Preliminary Settlement in Class-Action HCV Suit Against Pennsylvania DOC, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Medical, Hepatitis, Failure to Treat.
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Seventh Circuit: Illinois Prisoner Entitled to Retrial After Appointment of Counsel Denied, Jan. 8, 2019. Guard Misconduct, Eighth Amendment, Appointment of Counsel, Trials.