by Matt Clarke
A federal jury awarded an Oklahoma woman $6.5 million after she was sexually assaulted by a Hollis, Oklahoma assistant police chief while held at the Harmon County jail.
Tiffany Ann Glover, 33, filed a federal civil rights action pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Opening the Door, by Jean Casella and Aviva Stahl
- American University Removes Statue of Imprisoned Native American Activist, by Derek Gilna
- Mississippi Closes Troubled Former Youth Prison
- Denver Man, Accused of Rape Due to Mishandled DNA, Has Lawsuit Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Rights Event Prompts Florida Prison System Lockdown, by Derek Gilna
- California Prison Officials Shift Responsibility for Work Injuries to Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Parole Board Must Define Applicable Statutory Terms
- Oregon Prisoner’s Conversion Claim Against Guard Reinstated
- Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey Latest States to Pass Mugshot Extortion Laws
- Third Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment on SHU Strip Search Claims
- Prison Mailbox Rule Applies to Alabama Sentence Reconsideration Motions
- Oregon Prosecutors and Cops Bully Parole Board into Improperly Rescinding Parole; Court Orders Release
- Extensive Contraband Found During Shakedowns at Mississippi Prisons
- Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s Jail Under Fire for Deaths, Civil Rights Abuses, by Christopher Zoukis
- HOPE and SCF Probation Programs Criticized in Study, by Derek Gilna
- Utah Supreme Court Reverses Termination of Prisoner’s Parental Rights
- Plastic Spoon Not a “Dangerous Weapon” Under Oregon Law
- BJS Studies Show Number of Prisoners, Probationers Continues to Drop Slightly, by Derek Gilna
- DOJ Publishes Ten-step Program for Halfway House Reforms
- Missouri Prisoner’s IRA May be Seized for Incarceration Costs
- Oregon Prison Officials Must Provide Post-release Disability Care
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, by David Reutter
- HRDC/PLN Obtain Landmark Nationwide Censorship Settlement with Private Prison Company , by Derek Gilna
- Fifth Circuit Vacates Dismissal of Texas Grooming Policy RLUIPA Claim
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Wiccan Prisoner’s Consent Decree
- Seventh Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment in Retaliatory Discipline Case
- $6.5 Million Jury Award in Oklahoma Jail Rape Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Almost 270 Die in Pre-trial Detention in Canadian Jails in Last Five Years, by Derek Gilna
- TN Prison Counselor Suspended for Posting Insults on Facebook, by Joe Watson
- Ninth Circuit: Courtroom Deputy Entitled to Qualified, Not Absolute, Immunity
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Approves Landmark BOP ADX Mental Health Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Exonerated Man Receives $6 Million in Malicious Prosecution Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- FCC Chairman Called Out on Conflict of Interest Concerning Prison Phone Company, by Carrie Wilkinson
- No Private Prisons in King County, Washington
- Private Prison Companies’ Plan to License “Baby Jails” Fails in Texas Legislature, by Bob Libal
- Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Automatic Disenfranchisement for all Felony Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- Stolen Credit Cards Laundered Through Global Tel*Link in Ohio Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Indiana Court Cannot Reduce 45-Day Filing Fee Time Limit
- With General Inch in Charge, We Can Expect Further Militarization of the Prison System, by Brian Dolinar
- Ohio State Criminal Convictions Threatened by Evidence Technician’s Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Deaths at North Carolina Jail Due to Lack of Medical, Mental Health Care
- Federal Judge Claims Three-year-olds Can Understand Immigration Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Leader of Fraudulent Scheme Targeting Prisoners Convicted, Sent to Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pretrial Diversion: Pay Not to Stay (in Jail), by Christopher Zoukis
- Brennan Center Asks: “How Many Americans Are Unnecessarily Incarcerated?”, by Derek Gilna
- Surgeon General’s Report: Substance Abuse Continues to Grow in America, by Derek Gilna
- California Damage Suit Improperly Treated as Habeas Petition
- New York Parole Board Repeatedly Held in Contempt; One Case Reversed on Appeal
- Los Angeles County Jail Faces Lawsuit Over Censorship of PLN
- Re-entry Program for Federal Prisoners on Supervised Release Has Low Participation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, Oct. 12, 2018
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, Oct. 12, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, Oct. 12, 2018
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, Oct. 12, 2018
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, Oct. 8, 2018
- From the Big Box to the Big House: Walmart Helps Tennessee Prosecutors Felonize Shoplifting, Sept. 23, 2018
- Many Sheriffs Tempted by Lack of Oversight or Fiscal Accountability, Sept. 23, 2018
- Plainclothes Officers, 6 percent of NYC Police Force, Involved in 31 percent of Fatal Police Shootings, Sept. 19, 2018
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018
More from these topics:
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault, Oct. 11, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirms dismissal of Nebraska prisoner’s jail rape claim, Sept. 10, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Jail Specific.
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Limitations, Grievances.
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Failure to Protect (Juveniles).
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Escapes.
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Virginia: Former Assistant Warden Gets Suspended Sentence for Trading Privileges for Sex, Aug. 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- New Jersey Jail Scrutinized after Suicides; Guards Charged, Families Sue, Aug. 4, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- Office of Inspector General Finds Abuses at ICE Detention Facilities, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Immigration.
- The Magnificent Seven, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Commentary/Reviews.