by Matt Clarke
A federal jury awarded an Oklahoma woman $6.5 million after she was sexually assaulted by a Hollis, Oklahoma assistant police chief while held at the Harmon County jail.
Tiffany Ann Glover, 33, filed a federal civil rights action pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Opening the Door, by Jean Casella and Aviva Stahl
- American University Removes Statue of Imprisoned Native American Activist, by Derek Gilna
- Mississippi Closes Troubled Former Youth Prison
- Denver Man, Accused of Rape Due to Mishandled DNA, Has Lawsuit Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Rights Event Prompts Florida Prison System Lockdown, by Derek Gilna
- California Prison Officials Shift Responsibility for Work Injuries to Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Parole Board Must Define Applicable Statutory Terms
- Oregon Prisoner’s Conversion Claim Against Guard Reinstated
- Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey Latest States to Pass Mugshot Extortion Laws
- Third Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment on SHU Strip Search Claims
- Prison Mailbox Rule Applies to Alabama Sentence Reconsideration Motions
- Oregon Prosecutors and Cops Bully Parole Board into Improperly Rescinding Parole; Court Orders Release
- Extensive Contraband Found During Shakedowns at Mississippi Prisons
- Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s Jail Under Fire for Deaths, Civil Rights Abuses, by Christopher Zoukis
- HOPE and SCF Probation Programs Criticized in Study, by Derek Gilna
- Utah Supreme Court Reverses Termination of Prisoner’s Parental Rights
- Plastic Spoon Not a “Dangerous Weapon” Under Oregon Law
- BJS Studies Show Number of Prisoners, Probationers Continues to Drop Slightly, by Derek Gilna
- DOJ Publishes Ten-step Program for Halfway House Reforms
- Missouri Prisoner’s IRA May be Seized for Incarceration Costs
- Oregon Prison Officials Must Provide Post-release Disability Care
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, by David Reutter
- HRDC/PLN Obtain Landmark Nationwide Censorship Settlement with Private Prison Company , by Derek Gilna
- Fifth Circuit Vacates Dismissal of Texas Grooming Policy RLUIPA Claim
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Wiccan Prisoner’s Consent Decree
- Seventh Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment in Retaliatory Discipline Case
- $6.5 Million Jury Award in Oklahoma Jail Rape Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Almost 270 Die in Pre-trial Detention in Canadian Jails in Last Five Years, by Derek Gilna
- TN Prison Counselor Suspended for Posting Insults on Facebook, by Joe Watson
- Ninth Circuit: Courtroom Deputy Entitled to Qualified, Not Absolute, Immunity
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Approves Landmark BOP ADX Mental Health Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Exonerated Man Receives $6 Million in Malicious Prosecution Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- FCC Chairman Called Out on Conflict of Interest Concerning Prison Phone Company, by Carrie Wilkinson
- No Private Prisons in King County, Washington
- Private Prison Companies’ Plan to License “Baby Jails” Fails in Texas Legislature, by Bob Libal
- Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Automatic Disenfranchisement for all Felony Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- Stolen Credit Cards Laundered Through Global Tel*Link in Ohio Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Indiana Court Cannot Reduce 45-Day Filing Fee Time Limit
- With General Inch in Charge, We Can Expect Further Militarization of the Prison System, by Brian Dolinar
- Ohio State Criminal Convictions Threatened by Evidence Technician’s Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Deaths at North Carolina Jail Due to Lack of Medical, Mental Health Care
- Federal Judge Claims Three-year-olds Can Understand Immigration Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Leader of Fraudulent Scheme Targeting Prisoners Convicted, Sent to Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pretrial Diversion: Pay Not to Stay (in Jail), by Christopher Zoukis
- Brennan Center Asks: “How Many Americans Are Unnecessarily Incarcerated?”, by Derek Gilna
- Surgeon General’s Report: Substance Abuse Continues to Grow in America, by Derek Gilna
- California Damage Suit Improperly Treated as Habeas Petition
- New York Parole Board Repeatedly Held in Contempt; One Case Reversed on Appeal
- Los Angeles County Jail Faces Lawsuit Over Censorship of PLN
- Re-entry Program for Federal Prisoners on Supervised Release Has Low Participation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Texas Court of Appeals: Decriminalization of Civil Commitment Conditions Violation Applies to Cases Pending on Appeal, Aug. 31, 2017
- Supreme Court Holds Demonstrators May Be Arrested for Trespassing Jail Grounds, Aug. 31, 2017
- $6.5 Million Jury Award in Oklahoma Jail Rape Lawsuit, Aug. 30, 2017
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, Aug. 30, 2017
- Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Automatic Disenfranchisement for all Felony Convictions, Aug. 30, 2017
- Nevada DOC Moves to End Discrimination against HIV-positive and Disabled Prisoners, July 28, 2017
- Policing for Profit: Law Enforcement Agencies Abuse Civil Asset Forfeiture, July 28, 2017
- Suicide at Texas Jail Results in Firings, Lawsuit, Investigation and Legislation, July 28, 2017
- Ohio Closes Prison Farms, Auctions Equipment, Plans to Sell Farmland, July 28, 2017
- Wrongfully Arrested for Murder, Prisoner Dies in California Jail; Corizon Loses Contract , June 30, 2017
More from these topics:
- Mississippi Closes Troubled Former Youth Prison, Aug. 30, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Guard Misconduct, Cost of Prison Systems, Juvenile Prisons.
- Female Prisoner Raped By Florida Sheriff's Deputy Settles Lawsuit for $91,666, Aug. 24, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic.
- Federal Prisoner Sexually Assaulted By Guard Receives $150,000 Settlement, Aug. 22, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Tennessee Sheriff Pleads Guilty to Sexual Misconduct, Excessive Force Charges, July 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Ninth Circuit: Warden Who Failed to Protect Female Prisoners from Sexual Assault Not Immune from Suit, July 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Eighth Amendment, Qualified Immunity, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- At Lowell, sex, death and a probe riddled with questions, July 12, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corizon, Guard Misconduct, Medication, Forcible Treatment, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Control Units.
- Bartered sex, corruption and cover-ups behind bars in nation’s largest women’s prison, July 12, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Staff-Prisoner Harassment, Guard Misconduct.
- $25,000 Federal Jury Award in Suit over Teenager Raped in Oklahoma Jail, May 5, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Failure to Protect (Juveniles).
- Pennsylvania Sees Rash of Corrupt Guards, April 5, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Gay/Lesbian.
- Lawsuit Claims Ohio Jail Guards Raped, Tortured Female Prisoner, April 3, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Medication, Seizures.