by Matt Clarke
A federal jury awarded an Oklahoma woman $6.5 million after she was sexually assaulted by a Hollis, Oklahoma assistant police chief while held at the Harmon County jail.
Tiffany Ann Glover, 33, filed a federal civil rights action pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Opening the Door, by Jean Casella and Aviva Stahl
- American University Removes Statue of Imprisoned Native American Activist, by Derek Gilna
- Mississippi Closes Troubled Former Youth Prison
- Denver Man, Accused of Rape Due to Mishandled DNA, Has Lawsuit Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Rights Event Prompts Florida Prison System Lockdown, by Derek Gilna
- California Prison Officials Shift Responsibility for Work Injuries to Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Parole Board Must Define Applicable Statutory Terms
- Oregon Prisoner’s Conversion Claim Against Guard Reinstated
- Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey Latest States to Pass Mugshot Extortion Laws
- Third Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment on SHU Strip Search Claims
- Prison Mailbox Rule Applies to Alabama Sentence Reconsideration Motions
- Oregon Prosecutors and Cops Bully Parole Board into Improperly Rescinding Parole; Court Orders Release
- Extensive Contraband Found During Shakedowns at Mississippi Prisons
- Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s Jail Under Fire for Deaths, Civil Rights Abuses, by Christopher Zoukis
- HOPE and SCF Probation Programs Criticized in Study, by Derek Gilna
- Utah Supreme Court Reverses Termination of Prisoner’s Parental Rights
- Plastic Spoon Not a “Dangerous Weapon” Under Oregon Law
- BJS Studies Show Number of Prisoners, Probationers Continues to Drop Slightly, by Derek Gilna
- DOJ Publishes Ten-step Program for Halfway House Reforms
- Missouri Prisoner’s IRA May be Seized for Incarceration Costs
- Oregon Prison Officials Must Provide Post-release Disability Care
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, by David Reutter
- HRDC/PLN Obtain Landmark Nationwide Censorship Settlement with Private Prison Company , by Derek Gilna
- Fifth Circuit Vacates Dismissal of Texas Grooming Policy RLUIPA Claim
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Wiccan Prisoner’s Consent Decree
- Seventh Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment in Retaliatory Discipline Case
- $6.5 Million Jury Award in Oklahoma Jail Rape Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Almost 270 Die in Pre-trial Detention in Canadian Jails in Last Five Years, by Derek Gilna
- TN Prison Counselor Suspended for Posting Insults on Facebook, by Joe Watson
- Ninth Circuit: Courtroom Deputy Entitled to Qualified, Not Absolute, Immunity
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Approves Landmark BOP ADX Mental Health Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Exonerated Man Receives $6 Million in Malicious Prosecution Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- FCC Chairman Called Out on Conflict of Interest Concerning Prison Phone Company, by Carrie Wilkinson
- No Private Prisons in King County, Washington
- Private Prison Companies’ Plan to License “Baby Jails” Fails in Texas Legislature, by Bob Libal
- Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Automatic Disenfranchisement for all Felony Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- Stolen Credit Cards Laundered Through Global Tel*Link in Ohio Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Indiana Court Cannot Reduce 45-Day Filing Fee Time Limit
- With General Inch in Charge, We Can Expect Further Militarization of the Prison System, by Brian Dolinar
- Ohio State Criminal Convictions Threatened by Evidence Technician’s Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Deaths at North Carolina Jail Due to Lack of Medical, Mental Health Care
- Federal Judge Claims Three-year-olds Can Understand Immigration Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Leader of Fraudulent Scheme Targeting Prisoners Convicted, Sent to Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pretrial Diversion: Pay Not to Stay (in Jail), by Christopher Zoukis
- Brennan Center Asks: “How Many Americans Are Unnecessarily Incarcerated?”, by Derek Gilna
- Surgeon General’s Report: Substance Abuse Continues to Grow in America, by Derek Gilna
- California Damage Suit Improperly Treated as Habeas Petition
- New York Parole Board Repeatedly Held in Contempt; One Case Reversed on Appeal
- Los Angeles County Jail Faces Lawsuit Over Censorship of PLN
- Re-entry Program for Federal Prisoners on Supervised Release Has Low Participation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Lawsuit Over Snitch Jacketing, April 25, 2018
- 7th Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner's Civil Rights Lawsuit, April 20, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 20, 2018
- The ‘Office Shuffle’: Ohio Police Recycle Bad Apples Among Rural Departments, April 19, 2018
- Controversial Police Interrogation Technique That Often Results in False Confessions Abandoned by Influential Training Consultant, April 19, 2018
- Texas Quietly Authorizes Nation’s First Public Safety Employees Treatment Courts, April 19, 2018
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Holds Defendant Entitled to Self-Defense Jury Charge if There is Any Evidence to Support It, April 19, 2018
- Tenth Circuit upholds class certification of immigration detainees forced to labor, April 16, 2018
More from these topics:
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- The High Cost of Texas Prison Rape Data, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Gender Discrimination -- Women, OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, Jan. 8, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, Jan. 8, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $330,000 Settles Guard-on-Prisoner Sexual Assault Claims, Dec. 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Staff-Prisoner Harassment.
- Report Finds Texas Prison Staff Often Ignore Reports of Prison Rape, Dec. 19, 2017. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Gay/Lesbian, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Prison Gangs, Retaliatory Discipline, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Wyoming Supreme Court Upholds Probation Officer's Conviction for Sexual Assault, Dec. 14, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Parole Board Misconduct.
- Sexual Assault Claim Against Suffolk County, New York Jail Moves Forward, Dec. 7, 2017. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific.