by Matt Clarke
On March 20, 2017, an Oklahoma federal jury awarded $10.25 million to the estate of a prisoner who died at the Tulsa County Jail.
According to court documents, Elliot Earl Williams, 37, a U.S. Army veteran, was arrested by Owasso police officers responding to a ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- California Prisons Struggle with Environmental Threats from Sewage Spills, Contaminated Water, Airborne Disease, by Rick Anderson
- News in Brief
- Volunteers, Mayor Take Action to Clothe Freezing Prisoners in New York City, by Christopher Zoukis
- $10.25 Million Jury Award in Suit over Oklahoma Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Study Tracks Decline in Use of Solitary Confinement as Reform Bill Stalls in U.S. Senate, by Lonnie Burton
- New Study Indicates Annual Cost of Incarceration Exceeds $1 Trillion, by Audry Spade
- Prison Tattoos Tell a Story, by David Reutter
- Federal Judge Orders Cook County to Correct Courthouse ADA Violations, by Derek Gilna
- Most Black “Neighborhoods” in Wisconsin are Actually Jails, Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Second Circuit Upholds $36 Million Jury Award, $5 Million in Fees in Wrongful Conviction Case, by Matthew Clarke
- Pressure from Advocacy Group Leads University of California to Partially Divest from Wells Fargo, by Christopher Zoukis
- Missouri DOC Director Replaced after String of Harassment and Retaliation Lawsuits
- Tenth Circuit Reinstates Suit over Failure to Provide Medical Treatment to Oklahoma Arrestee/Prisoner, by Matthew Clarke
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Prisoners’ Suit over Repeated Overnight Deprivation of Clothing
- Louisiana Death Sentence Reversed, Charges Dismissed, Lawsuit Filed, by David Reutter
- Tennessee: High Cost of Drugs Cited as Reason to Deny Prisoners Hep C Treatment, by David Reutter
- Innocence Project Emerging in Israel, by Christopher Zoukis
- State Sanctioned Murder: By the Numbers, by Christopher Zoukis
- Private Prison Company’s Announcement to Reduce Recidivism Criticized as PR Ploy
- Montana County Settles Suit over Prisoner’s Rape for $125,000
- Missouri Town Pays $1.2 Million to Settle Lawsuit over Jail Suicide, by Lonnie Burton
- Prisoners and Disabilities: The Legal Landscape, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoner’s Escape from Understaffed Private Prison Results in Staff Discipline, by Christopher Zoukis
- Study: Prison Spending Grew at Three Times the Rate of Education Spending over Last Three Decades, by Lonnie Burton
- Visitors to USP Leavenworth Turned Away Due to Disabilities
- Seventh Circuit: District Court Erred in Dismissing Prisoner’s § 1983 Suit for Failure to Exhaust, by Lonnie Burton
- $1.275 Million Settlement for Los Angeles County Jail Whistleblower, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Jail Agrees to End Solitary Confinement of Juveniles, by Matthew Clarke, Derek Gilna
- Vermont Supreme Court Upholds Rights of Jailhouse Lawyers, by Christopher Zoukis
- D.C. Man Subjected to 77 Days Overdetention; Marshals Service Denies Responsibility, by Monte McCoin
- Chicago Man Exonerated of Murder Awarded $13 Million after 22 Years in Prison, by Lonnie Burton
- Third Circuit: No Death Row Confinement after Death Sentences Vacated, by Christopher Zoukis
- Hawaii: OCCC Mental Health Care Fails, Prison Staff Fired, by Monte McCoin
- State Governors Grant Over 500 Pardons, Commutations, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pennsylvania: Philly D.A. Sentenced to Five Years for Corruption, Disbarred, by Monte McCoin
- Massachusetts: Reform Legislation Introduced after Study on Solitary Confinement Published, by Lonnie Burton
- Tennessee Judge Denies Summary Judgment Motion in Jail Suicide Suit; Case Settles, by Derek Gilna
- New Zealand Court Decision: Voting Ban Violates Human Rights of Prisoners, by Monte McCoin
- Seventh Circuit: Corizon May be Liable for Failure to Coordinate Medical Care, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit Denies Immunity to Police Officers, Jailers for Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Sues Kitsap County, Washington over Debit Release Cards, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoners in Solitary Confinement Benefit from Nature Videos, Study Shows, by Monte McCoin
- Judge Orders Florida DOC to Immediately Start Treating Prisoners with HCV, by Derek Gilna
- First Circuit Reverses Convictions of Massachusetts Probation Officials, by Christopher Zoukis
- Study Indicates Racial Bias Skews Criminality Risk Assessment Tool
- Arizona: Mixed Rulings in Challenges to State’s Lethal Injection Protocol, by Lonnie Burton
- Georgia Prison Doctor Rewarded for Cutting Costs as Prisoners Died Under His Care, by David Reutter
- USP Atlanta Escapes Result in Convictions, by Monte McCoin
- In Midst of Opioid Crisis, an Addiction Medication Program for Federal Prisons Fizzles, by Mike Ludwig
- Federal Judge Expresses Frustration in New Orleans Jail Reform Litigation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Parents Sue Deputy Who “Bullied” Their Slain Son into Becoming an Informant, Feb. 22, 2018
- $35,051 Settles Prisoner Van Crash, Feb. 22, 2018
- Reuters: Tasers Contributed to Many Deaths, Feb. 22, 2018
- ACLU Suit: Police Forced Catheters Into Adults and Child, Feb. 22, 2018
- Houston Police End Use of Error-Prone Drug Field Tests, Feb. 16, 2018
- U.S. Murder Clearance Rates Among Lowest in the World, Feb. 16, 2018
- North Carolina Brothers Settle Lawsuit Over 31 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment, Jan. 31, 2018
- California Billionaire Pushes States to Adopt “Marsy’s Law”, Jan. 31, 2018
- Prisoner Suicides a Problem in Oklahoma, Jan. 31, 2018
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018
More from these topics:
- $450,000 to Prisoner's Estate for Beating Death, Feb. 22, 2018. Prison Gangs, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- Reuters: Tasers Contributed to Many Deaths, Feb. 22, 2018. Stun Guns/Tasers, Wrongful Death, Police--Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Dallas Teens Have Sex in Jail, Feb. 8, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Overcrowding, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- $750,000 Settlement After Opioid Withdrawal Death in Kentucky Jail, Feb. 8, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Failure to Treat, Jail Specific.
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Jail Specific, Immigration.
- Total Cost of Pretrial Detention Estimated at up to $140 Billion Annually, Jan. 31, 2018. Prison Reform, Cost of Prison Systems, Jail Specific.
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, Jan. 31, 2018. Prison Reform, Jail Specific.
- Record Number of Florida Prisoners Died in 2016, 2017, Jan. 31, 2018. Wrongful Death, Mental Health.
- CoreCivic Prison in Tennessee Plagued with Problems, Jan. 31, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Staffing, Wrongful Death.
- Prisoner Suicides a Problem in Oklahoma, Jan. 31, 2018. Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.