by Christopher Zoukis
The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals released an important decision concerning the rights of pretrial detainees on November 7, 2016.
The case involved allegations of unconstitutional conduct by authorities at the New Hanover County Detention Facility in North Carolina. The plaintiff, Michael Anthony Dilworth, claimed that he ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Banks Profit from Loans to Private Prison Industry, by Derek Gilna
- Florida: Trio of Con Artists Sentenced in Rule 35 Sentence Reduction Scam
- Study Finds Extreme Lack of Gender, Racial/Ethnic Diversity in State Courts, by Derek Gilna
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Indiana Prisoner’s Lawsuit, Holds Prison Officials Prevented Him from Pursuing Grievances, by Lonnie Burton
- Denial of FOIA Request for Complaints Against Immigration Judges Reversed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fourth Circuit Rules Lawsuit over Inadequate Prison Food Not Barred by Res Judicata, by Lonnie Burton
- Ethics Rule Requiring Post-conviction Disclosure of Exculpatory Evidence Adopted in North Carolina
- Use of Electronic Monitoring Skyrockets, by Christopher Zoukis
- Nebraska Supreme Court Holds Reporter Can’t See Executed Prisoner’s Drawings, by Christopher Zoukis
- Seventh Circuit: Two-month Delay in Ordering Biopsy Not Deliberate Indifference, by Christopher Zoukis
- Tennessee Sheriff Settles Lawsuit over Religious Proselytization
- Unlikely Criminal Justice Reform: How New York City Reduced Arrests and Slashed Prisoner Populations, by Lonnie Burton
- United Kingdom: 80% of Prisoners Aspire to be Entrepreneurs, Opportunity Fund Helps
- Man Smuggles Poison into Jail, Commits Suicide Following Arrest for Failure to Pay Ambulance Bill
- Fourth Circuit Clarifies Rights of Pretrial Detainees; $35,000 Settlement on Remand, by Christopher Zoukis
- Consensual Use of Another Prisoner’s Telephone PIN is Not Oregon ID Theft
- Seventh Circuit: Medical Deliberate Indifference Case Remanded, Loses at Trial, by Christopher Zoukis
- Dismissal of Personal Injury Claim for Damages from Malfunctioning Jail Gate Upheld
- Private Prison Firms Spend Billions of Taxpayer Dollars Acquiring Other Companies, by Christopher Zoukis
- Ohio Prisoners Build Computers from Spare Parts, Conceal them in Ceiling
- Illinois: Prison Guards Sued for Fatally Beating, Suffocating Prisoner, by Lonnie Burton
- Fourth Circuit Reverses Judgment in Favor of BOP in Deliberate Indifference Case, by Christopher Zoukis
- Tennessee Sheriff Pleads Guilty to Sexual Misconduct, Excessive Force Charges
- Alaska Prisoner Deaths Criticized in Report, Author Becomes New DOC Commissioner
- Report: “Culture of Racism,” Frequent Use of Force at Northern California Prison, by Lonnie Burton
- New York: Police Department Ordered to Produce Police Manual in Parolee Shooting Case, by Christopher Zoukis
- California Court Vacates Prison Infraction Charging Prisoner for Refusing Meals, by Lonnie Burton
- Disability Rights Group Slams Mental Health Program at New York State Prison, by Derek Gilna
- Nevada DOC Moves to End Discrimination against HIV-positive and Disabled Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- California Lifers with Possibility of Parole Entitled to SOL Tolling
- Policing for Profit: Law Enforcement Agencies Abuse Civil Asset Forfeiture, by Matthew Clarke
- South Carolina Appellate Court Upholds Prisoner’s Wage Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Widespread Abuses at Santa Clara County Jail; Three Guards Convicted of Murder, by Lonnie Burton
- Illinois Prisoner Fatally Shot after Standoff; Hostages File Lawsuit
- $6,500 Settlement after Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Retaliatory Ad-seg Case, by Lonnie Burton
- Incarceration Numbers Falling, Especially for Blacks, by Christopher Zoukis
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Revocation of Supervised Release Over Blog Post, by Christopher Zoukis
- Ninth Circuit: Warden Who Failed to Protect Female Prisoners from Sexual Assault Not Immune from Suit, by Christopher Zoukis
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Infraction for Failure to Allow Prisoner to Present Evidence, by Lonnie Burton
- California Appellate Court Reinstates Prisoner’s Mandamus Action Against CDCR, by Derek Gilna
- First Circuit Allows City to Include Prisoners in Census Counts, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit Rejects Qualified Immunity on Inadequate Nutrition Claim
- PLN Obtains $50,000 Settlement in Tennessee Jail Censorship Suit
- Texas Prisoner was Emaciated and Sick when Killed by Cellmate
- Supreme Court Lets Prosecutors Off the Hook for Withholding Evidence, by Derek Gilna
- Arkansas Prisoner’s Illegal Sentence Remanded Despite Filing Wrong Challenge
- Suicide at Texas Jail Results in Firings, Lawsuit, Investigation and Legislation, by Matthew Clarke
- Tenth Circuit Remands Two-year Sentence for Federal Probation Violation, by Christopher Zoukis
- Washington State Mental Health Agency Held in Contempt; $14 Million in Fines Levied, by Derek Gilna
- One of Tennessee’s Most Pristine Rivers Contaminated with Prison Sewage , by Panagioti Tsolkas
- Forced to Endure Extreme Heat, Prisoners are Casualties of Texas’ Climate Denial, Documents Show, by Candice Bernd
- Ohio Closes Prison Farms, Auctions Equipment, Plans to Sell Farmland, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Breaking News: U.S. Attorney General Reinstates Federal Asset Forfeiture Sharing, with Conditions, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
More from Christopher Zoukis:
- Colorado Supreme Court Affirms Double Enhancement for Assault of Prison Guard, Sept. 6, 2017
- Arizona Supreme Court Clarifies Proper Standard for Reviewing Search of a Probationer's Home, Sept. 6, 2017
- Eleventh Circuit Slams Douglas County, Georgia Sheriff's Office for Retaliation Against Whistle-Blower, Sept. 6, 2017
- California Appeals Court Reverses Termination of Parental Rights for Indian Child Welfare Act Notice Violation, Sept. 6, 2017
- Seventh Circuit Passes on Opportunity to Weigh in on Police Use of Cell-Site Simulators, Sept. 6, 2017
- Prison Cannot Restrict Legal Visits by a Prisoner's Family Member/Attorney, Sept. 6, 2017
- City of New York Settles Police Beating Case for $614,500, Sept. 6, 2017
- Maryland Court of Special Appeals Upholds $200,000 Award for Police Shooting of Dog, Sept. 1, 2017
- Second Circuit Rules Against American Civil Liberties Union on Drone Strike FOIA Request, Sept. 1, 2017
- Media Companies Denied Damages and Fees in Public Records Litigation, Sept. 1, 2017
More from these topics:
- Maine Judge Rules Prisoner's Nearly Two-Year Stay in Segregation Without Explanation Defies Due Process, Orders Hearing on Damages, Sept. 7, 2017. Control Units.
- Eighth Circuit: Pepper Spraying Prisoner's Genitals Not Excessive Force, Sept. 1, 2017. Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Control Units.
- Opening the Door, Aug. 30, 2017. Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, Aug. 30, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Federal Court Approves Landmark BOP ADX Mental Health Settlement, Aug. 30, 2017. Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- With General Inch in Charge, We Can Expect Further Militarization of the Prison System, Aug. 30, 2017. Conditions of Confinement, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Military Prisons.
- From the Editor, Aug. 29, 2017. Control Units, PLN related.
- New York Appeals Court Finds Prisoner Improperly Denied Witnesses at Disciplinary Hearing, Yet Denies Relief, Aug. 22, 2017. Retaliation for Organizing, Control Units, First Amendment.
- $255,000 Jury Award for Man Beaten by IL Jail Guards After Judge Grants Remittitur, Aug. 4, 2017. Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $3,000 Settlement for NY Prisoner Assaulted, Harassed by Guards, Aug. 4, 2017. Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings.