by Christopher Zoukis
A game-changing settlement has been reached in a federal lawsuit over the treatment of prisoners held in solitary confinement in Delaware state prisons.
The suit, filed on August 6, 2015 by the Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI), with representation by the ACLU of Delaware and the ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Hep C: The Deadliest Killer in Colorado’s Prisons is a Curable Virus, by Alan Prendergast
- Embattled Private Probation Company Ceases Operations, by Derek Gilna
- Eleventh Circuit Rejects Condemned Prisoner’s Challenge to Lethal Injection Drug, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit against Oklahoma Jail for Providing False Information Partially Reinstated on Appeal
- Wrongfully Arrested for Murder, Prisoner Dies in California Jail; Corizon Loses Contract , by Matthew Clarke
- California: Sex Offender’s Civil Commitment Overturned for Lack of Evidence
- Washington: Sentence for Escape Conviction Can Only be Enhanced by Other Escapes
- Epidemic of Suicides in California Women’s Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Third Circuit Reverses Denial of Class Certification, by Christopher Zoukis
- BOP Education Program Revamp in Doubt as Chief is Sacked, by Christopher Zoukis
- New York Prison Cannot Hold Sex Offender Beyond Expiration of Sentence
- Illinois Pays $450,000 to Prisoner Who was Raped, Punished for Reporting It, by Lonnie Burton
- Two Non-profit Foundations Provide Funding, Leadership for Criminal Justice Reform, by Matthew Clarke
- Illinois Prisoner Wins Federal Civil Rights Suit over Mail Censorship, by Derek Gilna
- Report Finds Federal Informants at Risk of Retaliation; Court Penalizes Informant for Trial Outcome, by Derek Gilna
- Louisiana Fires Eight Prison Guards; Federal Investigation is Pending
- Third Circuit Finds that Prisoners’ Verbal Grievances are Constitutionally Protected, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prison Phone Update: Appellate Court Deals Major Blow to Prisoners and Their Families, by Carrie Wilkinson
- Supreme Court Voids North Carolina Law Barring Sex Offenders from Facebook, by Derek Gilna
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Illinois Prisoner’s Religious Rights Suit, by Lonnie Burton
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Civil Rights Suit against Cook County Jail, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Judges Jail Defendants too Poor to Pay Fines, Debts, by Matthew Clarke
- Local Sex Offender Residency Restrictions Challenged in Texas, by Matthew Clarke
- Former Michigan Prisoner Claims Sewage Spill Linked to Hepatitis C, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- “Beat Up Squad” at New York Prison Accused of Killing Mentally Ill Prisoner, by Joe Watson
- Summary Judgment in Favor of Alabama Prison Officials Reversed; Writ of Mandamus Denied, by Christopher Zoukis
- New York: Disciplinary Segregation Settlement Finalized; $1.6 Million in Attorney Fees Awarded, by Matthew Clarke
- Pennsylvania: Philadelphia Ethics Board Fines Former Prisons Commissioner
- Dismissal of Mississippi Prisoner’s Suit Over Grievance Retaliation Upheld
- Illinois High Court Upholds Sex Offender Requirements Struck Down in Other States, by Lonnie Burton
- Iowa: Lawsuit Against Halfway House Over Attack by Resident Dismissed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Eighth Circuit Declines to Block Subpoena Requiring Missouri to Disclose Identities of Execution Drug Suppliers, by Lonnie Burton
- New York State Attorney General Settles Suit Against Jail’s Medical Provider, by Derek Gilna
- Seventh Circuit: Prison Doctor Not Entitled to Summary Judgment on Deliberate Indifference Claim, by Lonnie Burton
- Continued Failure in Privatized Medical Care at Kentucky Jails, by David Reutter
- George Soros’ Quiet Overhaul of the U.S. Justice System, by Scott Bland
- Illinois Supreme Court: No Appointed State Expert in SDPA Recovery Proceeding
- GEO Group Acquires CEC in $360 Million Deal
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Suit Over Denial of Ramadan Meals; $3,600 Settlement, by Matthew Clarke
- Michigan Jail Sanctioned for Denying Access to Paralegals, by Derek Gilna
- Landmark Settlement in Lawsuit Challenging Solitary Confinement in Delaware, by Christopher Zoukis
- San Diego County Settles Prisoner Overdose Death for $2.3 Million, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Forensic Science Commission Addresses Problem with DNA Testing Protocols, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment to Defendants in Prisoner’s Wrongful Death Case, by Lonnie Burton
- Is Risk Prediction Real Criminal Justice Reform or Junk Science?, by Joe Watson
- Washington State Leads the Nation in Jailing Juvenile Status Offenders
- “Deal with the Devil” Turning on Mississippi Counties , by David Reutter
- Texas Fraud Prosecutions Privately Funded by Insurance Company, by Matthew Clarke
- New York DOCCS Has Paid $10 Million to Prisoners Beaten by Guards Over Five-year Period, by Joe Watson
- Report Finds Substandard Medical Care in ICE Facilities, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Eighth Circuit: No Speedy Trial Rights for Prisoner Placed in Administrative Segregation, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
More from Christopher Zoukis:
- Rhode Island: Life-sentenced Prisoner is “Civilly Dead,” Cannot Pursue Tort Claim, Oct. 12, 2018
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, Oct. 12, 2018
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, Oct. 12, 2018
- Black Liberation Army Members Convicted of Murdering Cops Granted Parole, Oct. 8, 2018
- Private Prison Company Pays to Play; Federal Election Commission Fails to Act, Oct. 8, 2018
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, Oct. 8, 2018
- Washington Supreme Court Strikes Down Pornography Prohibition as Unconstitutionally Vague, Sept. 23, 2018
- Federal Court Suppresses Evidence Where Consent to Search Vehicle Obtained Via Google Translate, Sept. 23, 2018
- Private DNA Lab Under Fire for Faulty Analysis, Sept. 23, 2018
- Your Papers, May I See Your Papers?, Sept. 23, 2018
More from these topics:
- Colorado Accused of Failing to Comply with Settlement in Mental Health Care Suit, Oct. 12, 2018. Government Misconduct, Mental Health.
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, Oct. 12, 2018. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Eighth Amendment, Failure to Protect (Transgender).
- Lawsuit Over Prisoner Assault at Tennessee Jail Results in Settlement, Dismissal, Oct. 12, 2018. Brain Injury, Crime, Eighth Amendment, Fourteenth Amendment, rights, Fifth Amendment.
- $10 Million Class-action Lawsuit Against Virginia Jail Results in $725,000 Settlement, Oct. 12, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Eighth Amendment, Class Certification, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- Two Former Oklahoma Death Row Prisoners Obtain $3.15 Million Settlement, Oct. 11, 2018. Eighth Amendment, Attorney Misconduct, Wrongful Conviction, Death Row.
- Oregon County Pays $2.85 Million for Dehydration Death of Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner, Oct. 8, 2018. Water, Wrongful Death, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, Oct. 8, 2018. Prison Reform, Criminal justice system reform, Statistics/Trends, Control Units.
- Solitary Instead of Treatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner Costs New Mexico Jail $2 Million, Sept. 19, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Montana Involuntary Committed Individuals May Be Restrained During Transport, Sept. 10, 2018. Transportation, Mental Health.