by Derek Gilna
In August 2017, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals stayed the deportation of Audemio Orozco-Ramirez, an undocumented Mexican immigrant who was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in 2013, confined at the Jefferson County jail in Montana and held pending a civil removal order. While incarcerated ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Juvenile Prisoners Denied Law Libraries, Legal Assistance; Claims Not Heck-Barred
- Report Critical of BOP’s Solitary Confinement Policy for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- French Officials to Install Phones in 50,000 Prison Cells, by Monte McCoin
- Total Cost of Pretrial Detention Estimated at up to $140 Billion Annually
- $637,500 Settlement for Texas Jail Suicide
- California Jail Doctor Faces Medical Board Discipline for Negligent Care, by Monte McCoin
- North Carolina Brothers Settle Lawsuit Over 31 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment, by Matthew Clarke
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, by Derek Gilna
- California Billionaire Pushes States to Adopt “Marsy’s Law”, by Matthew Clarke
- Record Number of Florida Prisoners Died in 2016, 2017, by David Reutter
- Canada to Apologize, Pay $10.5 Million to Former Guantanamo Detainee, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoner Abuse at Parchman: Minimum Punishment and Impeded Investigations, by David Reutter
- Louisiana Prisons Present Immense Environmental Dangers, by Daniel Horowitz
- New York: Prison Disciplinary Witness Request Improperly Denied
- CoreCivic Prison in Tennessee Plagued with Problems, by David Reutter
- Texas: Federal Court Grants Injunction Against Discriminatory Money Bail System, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Suicides a Problem in Oklahoma, by Matthew Clarke
- New FAMM Report Offers Solutions for BOP Recidivism, by Derek Gilna
- Texas State Jail Guard Indicted for Leaking Video of Tear Gassing
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Excessive Force Suit
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Experiences Continued Problems with Aramark, by Christopher Zoukis
- Poor and Mentally Ill Languish in Mississippi Jails for Months or Years Awaiting Indictments, by David Reutter
- Lawsuit Alleges Inadequate BOP Mental Health Treatment in SMU, by David Reutter
- Missouri Supreme Court: Restitution Must be for Losses “Due to” Crime of Conviction
- Stipulation to Admit Video Created Error When Video Was Excluded at Trial
- Class Certified in Lawsuit Alleging Flaws in Illinois’ Prison Healthcare System
- Co-pays Deter Prisoners from Accessing Medical Care, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pennsylvania: $20,000 Settlement for Prisoner’s ADA Claim
- Virginia: Undocumented Immigrant Receives $12,000 Settlement for Overdetention, by David Reutter
- $7.9 Million Award Against New York County and Medical Contractor in Jail Suicide Case
- Estimated 10.35 Million Prisoners Worldwide, Three Million in Pre-trial Detention, by Derek Gilna
- Clock is Ticking on Understaffing in Florida’s Prison System, by David Reutter
- Eighth Circuit Upholds $1.25 Million Jury Award for Missouri Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon County Pays $1.1 Million for Death of Detainee Mocked by Guards
- Indiana Jail’s Overdetention of Pretrial Detainees Erroneously Denied Class-action Status
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit: Washington Civil Rights Suit Not Tolled by State Presentment Statute, by Lonnie Burton
- Arkansas Conducts Four Executions in One Week Due to Expiring Lethal Injection Drugs, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Attorney’s 15-Year Sentence for Fake Bribery Scam
- TRO Requires Pennsylvania Jail to Provide Hormone Treatment
- Unable to Find Work, Some Former Prisoners Become Entrepreneurs, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Holds PLN Lawsuit Challenging ADX Censorship Not Moot, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: No Summary Judgment for 11-Year ACL Surgery Denial
- HRDC Files Class-action Suit Over CDCR Debit Release Cards, by Derek Gilna
- Kentucky County Jail Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit for $75,000, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Sexual Harassment Lawsuits, Settlements Rock Missouri Department of Corrections, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
- Prison Broke: The Missouri Department of Corrections Can’t Escape its Own Worst Habits, by Karen Dillon
More from Derek Gilna:
- Study: Unionized Police? Increased Misconduct, May 22, 2018
- Washington High Court Issues New Rule Making Immigration Status Inadmissible, May 21, 2018
- Captured: ‘Golden State Killer’ Wanted for 12 Murders and 50 Rapes Turns Out To Be Former Sacramento-Area Cop, May 15, 2018
- New York Times Investigation Spotlights NYPD Practice of ‘Testilying’, May 15, 2018
- Wrongful Death Case Against New York Jail Settles for $101,500, May 9, 2018
- Pro Se Rhode Island Prisoner Wins First Amendment Settlement, May 8, 2018
- Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Oklahoma Sheriffs – All of Them, May 8, 2018
- The “Qualified Immunity” Doctrine Needs to be Reexamined, May 8, 2018
- Former Pennsylvania Guards Settle FMLA Lawsuits for $110,000, May 7, 2018
- New York Law Gives Reformed Offenders an Opportunity to Seal Convictions, May 7, 2018
More from these topics:
- The G-Men are Coming: Local Cops Partner with Federal Authorities to Deport Undocumented Immigrants, May 22, 2018. Immigration, Racial Profiling, Police State-Surveillance.
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Drug Smuggling Conviction for Improper Exclusion of Evidence of Third-Party Culpability, May 22, 2018. War on Drugs, Appeals, Immigration.
- Washington High Court Issues New Rule Making Immigration Status Inadmissible, May 21, 2018. Immigration.
- Hudson County Settles for $407,500 over Wrongful Death of New Jersey Inmate, May 18, 2018. Medical, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- Texas Jail Administrator Receives $115,000 Settlement for Wrongful Termination, May 17, 2018. Medical, Cancer, Jail Specific, Americans with Disabilities Act, Disabled Employees.
- Death of California Homeless Man in Police Custody Yields $4.675 Million to Family, May 17, 2018. Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- California: Governor Signs Bill to Block Expansion of For-profit Detention Centers, May 8, 2018. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Immigration, State Legislation.
- Massachusetts: State Court Officers May Not Enforce Immigration Detainers, May 7, 2018. Release and Reentry, Immigration.
- Eighth Circuit: Teague Analysis Bars Retroactive Application of Padilla Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Claim, April 19, 2018. Immigration, Criminal Procedure.
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018. Sexual Assault, Crime Labs, Juveniles.