by Derek Gilna
In August 2017, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals stayed the deportation of Audemio Orozco-Ramirez, an undocumented Mexican immigrant who was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in 2013, confined at the Jefferson County jail in Montana and held pending a civil removal order. While incarcerated ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Juvenile Prisoners Denied Law Libraries, Legal Assistance; Claims Not Heck-Barred
- Report Critical of BOP’s Solitary Confinement Policy for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- French Officials to Install Phones in 50,000 Prison Cells, by Monte McCoin
- Total Cost of Pretrial Detention Estimated at up to $140 Billion Annually
- $637,500 Settlement for Texas Jail Suicide
- California Jail Doctor Faces Medical Board Discipline for Negligent Care, by Monte McCoin
- North Carolina Brothers Settle Lawsuit Over 31 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment, by Matthew Clarke
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, by Derek Gilna
- California Billionaire Pushes States to Adopt “Marsy’s Law”, by Matthew Clarke
- Record Number of Florida Prisoners Died in 2016, 2017, by David Reutter
- Canada to Apologize, Pay $10.5 Million to Former Guantanamo Detainee, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoner Abuse at Parchman: Minimum Punishment and Impeded Investigations, by David Reutter
- Louisiana Prisons Present Immense Environmental Dangers, by Daniel Horowitz
- New York: Prison Disciplinary Witness Request Improperly Denied
- CoreCivic Prison in Tennessee Plagued with Problems, by David Reutter
- Texas: Federal Court Grants Injunction Against Discriminatory Money Bail System, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Suicides a Problem in Oklahoma, by Matthew Clarke
- New FAMM Report Offers Solutions for BOP Recidivism, by Derek Gilna
- Texas State Jail Guard Indicted for Leaking Video of Tear Gassing
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Excessive Force Suit
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Experiences Continued Problems with Aramark, by Christopher Zoukis
- Poor and Mentally Ill Languish in Mississippi Jails for Months or Years Awaiting Indictments, by David Reutter
- Lawsuit Alleges Inadequate BOP Mental Health Treatment in SMU, by David Reutter
- Missouri Supreme Court: Restitution Must be for Losses “Due to” Crime of Conviction
- Stipulation to Admit Video Created Error When Video Was Excluded at Trial
- Class Certified in Lawsuit Alleging Flaws in Illinois’ Prison Healthcare System
- Co-pays Deter Prisoners from Accessing Medical Care, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pennsylvania: $20,000 Settlement for Prisoner’s ADA Claim
- Virginia: Undocumented Immigrant Receives $12,000 Settlement for Overdetention, by David Reutter
- $7.9 Million Award Against New York County and Medical Contractor in Jail Suicide Case
- Estimated 10.35 Million Prisoners Worldwide, Three Million in Pre-trial Detention, by Derek Gilna
- Clock is Ticking on Understaffing in Florida’s Prison System, by David Reutter
- Eighth Circuit Upholds $1.25 Million Jury Award for Missouri Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon County Pays $1.1 Million for Death of Detainee Mocked by Guards
- Indiana Jail’s Overdetention of Pretrial Detainees Erroneously Denied Class-action Status
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit: Washington Civil Rights Suit Not Tolled by State Presentment Statute, by Lonnie Burton
- Arkansas Conducts Four Executions in One Week Due to Expiring Lethal Injection Drugs, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Attorney’s 15-Year Sentence for Fake Bribery Scam
- TRO Requires Pennsylvania Jail to Provide Hormone Treatment
- Unable to Find Work, Some Former Prisoners Become Entrepreneurs, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Holds PLN Lawsuit Challenging ADX Censorship Not Moot, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: No Summary Judgment for 11-Year ACL Surgery Denial
- HRDC Files Class-action Suit Over CDCR Debit Release Cards, by Derek Gilna
- Kentucky County Jail Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit for $75,000, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Sexual Harassment Lawsuits, Settlements Rock Missouri Department of Corrections, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
- Prison Broke: The Missouri Department of Corrections Can’t Escape its Own Worst Habits, by Karen Dillon
More from Derek Gilna:
- Minnesota Sees Rising Tide of Payouts for Epidemic of Police Misconduct, Feb. 14, 2019
- Taser Misuse at California Jail Costs County $1.15 Million, Feb. 5, 2019
- Seventh Circuit Denies Wisconsin Prisoner’s Claims Against Medical Staff, Feb. 5, 2019
- Three Wrongfully Convicted Ohio Prisoners Receive $19.5 Million, Feb. 5, 2019
- Illinois DOC Settles Lawsuit Filed by Deaf, Hard of Hearing Prisoners, Feb. 5, 2019
- Seventh Circuit Reverses $6.7 Million Indemnification Award for Milwaukee Jail Rape, Feb. 5, 2019
- Alaska Supreme Court Denies Counsel to State Prisoner in Felony Case, Feb. 4, 2019
- Ohio Prisoner Recovers $2,025 for Leg Injury Caused by Guard’s Pepper Ball, Feb. 4, 2019
- DC Corrections Council Report Slams USP Lewisburg’s “Special Management Unit”, Feb. 4, 2019
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Denial of Interviews with Lucasville Prison Riot Participants, Feb. 4, 2019
More from these topics:
- Sexual Assaults and Harassment by Members of Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Costing Taxpayers Millions, Feb. 14, 2019. Sexual Assault, Assault by Police, Sexual Harassment, Harassment by Police.
- Protesters Rally Against Private Prison Contractor GEO Group, Feb. 5, 2019. Private Prisons, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Protests, Immigration.
- Seventh Circuit Reverses $6.7 Million Indemnification Award for Milwaukee Jail Rape, Feb. 5, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- PREA Audit at Montana Women’s Prison Amid Sexual Misconduct Complaints, Feb. 4, 2019. Sexual Assault, Misconduct/Corruption, Gender Discrimination -- Women, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Federal Court Enters Nationwide Injunction Banning Separation of Immigrant Families, Jan. 21, 2019. Immigration, Family.
- Sixth Circuit: Tennessee Aggravated Sexual Battery Is Not a SORNA Tier III Offense, Jan. 18, 2019. Sexual Assault, Appeals, Sentencing.
- Metropolitan Detention Center Guards Convicted in Sex Abuse Scandal, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Misconduct/Corruption.
- $1 Million Award for Two Women Sexually Assaulted by Florida Jail Guard, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- DOJ Launches Investigation into Abuse at Florida Women’s Prison, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Misconduct/Corruption, Gender Discrimination -- Women, Conditions of Confinement.
- Class-Action Suit Against CoreCivic ICE Detention Center Allowed to Proceed, Jan. 8, 2019. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Work, Prison Labor, Immigration.