by Derek Gilna
In August 2017, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals stayed the deportation of Audemio Orozco-Ramirez, an undocumented Mexican immigrant who was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in 2013, confined at the Jefferson County jail in Montana and held pending a civil removal order. While incarcerated ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Juvenile Prisoners Denied Law Libraries, Legal Assistance; Claims Not Heck-Barred
- Report Critical of BOP’s Solitary Confinement Policy for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- French Officials to Install Phones in 50,000 Prison Cells, by Monte McCoin
- Total Cost of Pretrial Detention Estimated at up to $140 Billion Annually
- $637,500 Settlement for Texas Jail Suicide
- California Jail Doctor Faces Medical Board Discipline for Negligent Care, by Monte McCoin
- North Carolina Brothers Settle Lawsuit Over 31 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment, by Matthew Clarke
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, by Derek Gilna
- California Billionaire Pushes States to Adopt “Marsy’s Law”, by Matthew Clarke
- Record Number of Florida Prisoners Died in 2016, 2017, by David Reutter
- Canada to Apologize, Pay $10.5 Million to Former Guantanamo Detainee, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoner Abuse at Parchman: Minimum Punishment and Impeded Investigations, by David Reutter
- Louisiana Prisons Present Immense Environmental Dangers, by Daniel Horowitz
- New York: Prison Disciplinary Witness Request Improperly Denied
- CoreCivic Prison in Tennessee Plagued with Problems, by David Reutter
- Texas: Federal Court Grants Injunction Against Discriminatory Money Bail System, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoner Suicides a Problem in Oklahoma, by Matthew Clarke
- New FAMM Report Offers Solutions for BOP Recidivism, by Derek Gilna
- Texas State Jail Guard Indicted for Leaking Video of Tear Gassing
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Excessive Force Suit
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Experiences Continued Problems with Aramark, by Christopher Zoukis
- Poor and Mentally Ill Languish in Mississippi Jails for Months or Years Awaiting Indictments, by David Reutter
- Lawsuit Alleges Inadequate BOP Mental Health Treatment in SMU, by David Reutter
- Missouri Supreme Court: Restitution Must be for Losses “Due to” Crime of Conviction
- Stipulation to Admit Video Created Error When Video Was Excluded at Trial
- Class Certified in Lawsuit Alleging Flaws in Illinois’ Prison Healthcare System
- Co-pays Deter Prisoners from Accessing Medical Care, by Christopher Zoukis
- Pennsylvania: $20,000 Settlement for Prisoner’s ADA Claim
- Virginia: Undocumented Immigrant Receives $12,000 Settlement for Overdetention, by David Reutter
- $7.9 Million Award Against New York County and Medical Contractor in Jail Suicide Case
- Estimated 10.35 Million Prisoners Worldwide, Three Million in Pre-trial Detention, by Derek Gilna
- Clock is Ticking on Understaffing in Florida’s Prison System, by David Reutter
- Eighth Circuit Upholds $1.25 Million Jury Award for Missouri Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon County Pays $1.1 Million for Death of Detainee Mocked by Guards
- Indiana Jail’s Overdetention of Pretrial Detainees Erroneously Denied Class-action Status
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit: Washington Civil Rights Suit Not Tolled by State Presentment Statute, by Lonnie Burton
- Arkansas Conducts Four Executions in One Week Due to Expiring Lethal Injection Drugs, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Attorney’s 15-Year Sentence for Fake Bribery Scam
- TRO Requires Pennsylvania Jail to Provide Hormone Treatment
- Unable to Find Work, Some Former Prisoners Become Entrepreneurs, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Holds PLN Lawsuit Challenging ADX Censorship Not Moot, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: No Summary Judgment for 11-Year ACL Surgery Denial
- HRDC Files Class-action Suit Over CDCR Debit Release Cards, by Derek Gilna
- Kentucky County Jail Settles Sexual Harassment Lawsuit for $75,000, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Sexual Harassment Lawsuits, Settlements Rock Missouri Department of Corrections, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
- Prison Broke: The Missouri Department of Corrections Can’t Escape its Own Worst Habits, by Karen Dillon
More from Derek Gilna:
- U.S. Supreme Court’s Carpenter Decision a Warning to Police on Warrantless Data Searches, Aug. 19, 2018
- SCOTUS’ Unanimous Death-Penalty Jury Verdict Decision Affecting Florida Cases, Aug. 19, 2018
- Georgia Defense Attorney Wins Another ‘Jury-Nullification’ Case, Aug. 19, 2018
- New York City Decriminalizes Some Public Smoking of Marijuana in Policy Shift, Aug. 19, 2018
- Trial Lawyer Advocates ‘Jury Nullification’ To Acquit the Unjustly Accused, Aug. 17, 2018
- New York City Gang Database Increases 70 Percent Since 2014, Aug. 16, 2018
- Temple University Marks 20 Years of Transformative Inside-Out Prison Program, Aug. 8, 2018
- Previous NY Escapee Fails to Negotiate Privileges in Exchange for Revealing Security Flaws, Aug. 8, 2018
- Federal Class-action Accuses CoreCivic of Exploiting Immigrant Detainee Labor, Aug. 8, 2018
- Wrongfully-convicted California Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $15 Million, Aug. 8, 2018
More from these topics:
- Immigration Authorities Seize Wrongfully Convicted Man After Release, Aug. 17, 2018. Release and Reentry, Wrongful Conviction, Immigration.
- Federal Class-action Accuses CoreCivic of Exploiting Immigrant Detainee Labor, Aug. 8, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Prison Labor, Class Certification, Immigration.
- $330,000 Awarded to Brooklyn Woman and Minor Nephew over False Arrest and Two Years of Malicious Prosecution, July 27, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches, Jail Specific, Mental Health, False Arrest.
- Federal Jury Awards Michigan Woman $1,048,000 over Retaliatory Arrests, July 27, 2018. Sexual Assault, Retaliation, First Amendment, rights, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Federal Jury Awards Texas Man $169,128 in Excessive Force Claim Against Sheriff’s Deputy, July 27, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Guards/Staff.
- Father of Man Strangled While in Missouri Jail Accepts Settlement, July 27, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- $190,000 for Man Falsely Arrested and Maliciously Prosecuted by NYPD, July 26, 2018. Strip Searches, Jail Specific, False Arrest.
- Kentucky Jail Guard Receives $60,000 Jury Award in Sexual Harassment Suit, July 26, 2018. Staff-Staff Harassment, Jail Specific.
- #Policetoo: 35 States Allow ‘Consensual’ Sex Between Police and Detainees, July 21, 2018. Sexual Assault, Assault by Police.
- Eleventh Circuit Holds Florida Drug Trafficking Statute Indivisible and Overbroad for Removal Under Immigration and Nationality Act, July 21, 2018. Immigration.