by Matt Clarke
The State of Hawaii and a former prison guard have each agreed to pay $50,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a female prisoner who was sexually assaulted.
Stormy Rae Smith was serving a five-year sentence at the Women’s Community Correctional Center in Honolulu for car ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Wisconsin Settles State Prisoner’s Lawsuits for $13,000
- Hawaii Prison System Failing to Uphold Agreement on Mental Health Care
- Settlement in Lawsuit Over Missouri Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Settlement after Connecticut Police Chief’s Son Assaults Handcuffed Prisoner, by Edward Lyon
- Texas Prisoners Receive Inadequate Legal Representation from State Agency, by Edward Lyon
- Ohio Death Row Prisoner Avoids Execution then Dies in Prison, by Derek Gilna
- Kansas Jail Prisoners Win Lawsuit Over Postcard-only Policy, by Edward Lyon
- Prisons Don’t Damage Only Prisoners; Guards at Risk of PTSD and Suicide, Too, by Christopher Zoukis
- Texas Prisoner in Administrative Segregation Transition Program Murders Cellmate
- Transgender Prisoner Issues Result in Litigation, Policy Changes
- Mentally Ill Colorado Prisoner Who Gouged Out His Eyes Sues Sheriff, by Edward Lyon
- Trinity Services Group Faces Complaints Due to Inadequate Prison and Jail Food, by Edward Lyon
- Guantanamo Bay Prison to Remain Open, Trump Announces, by Derek Gilna
- Idaho DOC and Corizon Held in Contempt in Long-standing Lawsuit, by Derek Gilna
- New California Parole Board Guidelines, Reforms Face Opposition, by Edward Lyon
- Ohio: Federal Lawsuit Over Jail Beating Settles for $70,000, by Christopher Zoukis
- Mississippi DOC Announces Phone Rate Cuts, by Monte McCoin
- Ninth Circuit Orders Sealing of Court Documents that Reveal Informant, by Matthew Clarke
- Kansas Prisoner Who Warned “Something is Eating my Brain” Dies of Untreated Brain Infection, by Derek Gilna
- Indiana County Pays $28,000 to Settle Prisoner’s Excessive Force Suit, by Dale Chappell
- Percentage of Americans with Felony Convictions Increases, Especially for Blacks, by Christopher Zoukis
- Federal Civil Rights Suit for California Jail Beating Settles for $100,000, by Derek Gilna
- Ohio: $275,000 Settlement in Jail Detainee’s Suicide
- Ex-cons Turn Prison Workouts into Real Jobs, Transform Lives, by Dale Chappell
- California: A Prison by any Other Name is Still a Prison, by Edward Lyon
- $100,000 Settlement in Suit Over Hawaii Guard’s Sexual Assault of Prisoner, by Matthew Clarke
- Cause of Action for Shaming Sex Therapy May Not Accrue Until after Release from Prison
- Who is in Private Prisons? New Study Provides Surprising Answers, by Christopher Zoukis
- Settlement in Federal Suit Over Treatment of Disabled Detainees in Northern California Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Protest Results in Three Arrests at CoreCivic’s Annual Shareholders Meeting
- Lawsuits Filed Against GEO Group for Wage Violations at Detention Facilities, by Christopher Zoukis, Matthew Clarke
- Tennessee: Jail Guard Charged with Taser Assault
- Incorrect Cause of Tennessee Prisoner’s Death Reported by CoreCivic Employees
- Mentally Incompetent Detainees Stuck in California Jails Spark Class-action Lawsuit, Fines, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Over Rikers Island Suicide Settles for $380,000, by Christopher Zoukis
- Influenza Season Hits Nation’s Prisons and Jails, by Greg Dober
- Solitary: The Inside Story of Supermax Isolation and How We Can Abolish It, by Dr. Terry Allen Kupers (University of California Press, September 2017). 304 pages, $29.95 hardcover, by Christopher Zoukis
- Abuses at Orange County and San Bernardino Jails Cost Taxpayers Millions, by Dale Chappell
- MacAuthur Justice Center Files Lawsuit Over Missouri Parole Revocations, by Matthew Clarke
- Numerous Deaths, Sealed Settlements in North Carolina Jails, by David Reutter
- Pennsylvania DOC Bans Timberland Boots; Prisoner Files Suit Seeking Injunction, by Monte McCoin
- PLN Postcard-only Suit Against Knox County, Tennessee Settles for $87,000, by Steve Horn
- HRDC Files Censorship Suit Against Sheriff in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- When Prisons and Jails Switch to Video Calling, by Derek Gilna
- Prison Labor: Positive Programming or Modern-day Slavery?, by Christopher Zoukis
- Guards Sentenced for Beating Prisoners at Kentucky Jail, by David Reutter
- Water at Massachusetts Prison Under Scrutiny from Prisoners, Advocates, Public Agencies, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- Wrongful Death Suit Against Tennessee Town Settles for $6,000, by Monte McCoin
- As More Prisons Shutter, Governments Wonder What to Do With Them, by Daniel C. Vock
- The Results are in: Prison Legal News Reader Survey!, by Steve Horn
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Crisis in Maryland as Mentally Incompetent Defendants Languish in County Jails, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
- While in Custody: The Fight to Stop Jail Deaths in Washington State, by Ciara O’Rourke
More from Matthew Clarke:
- New Jersey Supreme Court: Substantive Error to Amend Indictment to Change Degree of Felony on Eve of Trial, July 21, 2018
- Powerful District Attorney Lobbies Improperly Influence Law Making, July 20, 2018
- Fourth Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Lawsuit Over Denial of Rastafarian Services, July 6, 2018
- Texas Prisons Stop Using Solitary Confinement as Punishment, but Thousands Kept in Administrative Segregation, July 6, 2018
- Fifth Circuit Holds Denial of Diabetic Diet During Lockdowns States Claim, July 6, 2018
- Nevada DOC Settles Suit Over Prisoner Suicide for $93,000, July 6, 2018
- $9 Million Settlement for Illinois Man Wrongly Imprisoned for Murder, July 6, 2018
- Illinois: $380,000 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Other Prisoners, July 2, 2018
- Second Circuit Reverses Judgment in Favor of U.S. Citizen Held 3½ Years in Immigration Detention, July 2, 2018
- $10,000 Federal Jury Award in Texas Prisoner’s Suit Over Retaliatory Beatings, July 1, 2018
More from these topics:
- $1 Million Paid by NYC to Settle False Arrest Claim, July 21, 2018. Settlements, False Arrest.
- Arkansas Supreme Court finds reimbursement from a §1983 settlement improper, July 17, 2018. Settlements, Money/Property, Seizure of Prisoner Funds, Restitution, Trust Accounts.
- Ex-Prisoner Awarded $150,000 after 'Savage Beating' Arranged by Guards, July 6, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- Wrongfully Convicted North Carolina Man Receives $4 Million, July 6, 2018. Settlements, Wrongful Conviction, Wrongful Imprisonment.
- Michigan Jail Wrongful Death Suit Settles for $500,000, July 6, 2018. Settlements, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Nevada DOC Settles Suit Over Prisoner Suicide for $93,000, July 6, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- $9 Million Settlement for Illinois Man Wrongly Imprisoned for Murder, July 6, 2018. Settlements, Wrongful Conviction, Wrongful Imprisonment.
- North Carolina Prisoner Exonerated for Rape Collects $9.5 Million Settlement, July 5, 2018. Settlements, Wrongful Conviction.
- Office of Inspector General Finds Abuses at ICE Detention Facilities, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Immigration.
- The Magnificent Seven, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Commentary/Reviews.