× You have 2 more free articles available this month. Subscribe today.
Indiana Prisoner Has First Amendment Retaliation Claims Rejected by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Loaded on Dec. 1, 2020 by Casey Bastian published in Prison Legal News December, 2020, page 44
Filed under: Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Erroneous Rejection of Challenge. Location: Indiana.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
Related legal cases
Douglas v. Reeves
|Cite||964 F.3d 643 (7th Cir. 2020)|
|Level||Court of Appeals|
|Appeals Court Edition||F.3d|
Bridges v. Gilbert
|Cite||557 F.3d 541 (7th Cir. 2009)|
|Level||Court of Appeals|
Van de Yacht v. City of Wausau
|Cite||661 F.Supp.2d (W.D. Wis. 2009)|
|District Court Edition||F.Supp.2d|
More from this issue:
- Debit Card Issuers Still Prey on People Released from Prisons and Jails: HRDC Lawsuits Challenge Companies in Court, by Andrew Stewart
- Arkansas Governor Hutchinson Grants Commutation for Blind Mother, by Kevin Bliss
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- $6 Million Payout in Montana Wrongful Conviction Case, by Derek Gilna
- NBA Owner Capitalizes on Mass Incarceration; Players Silent, by Matthew Clarke
- University of Florida Still Using Prison Labor, But End in Sight, by Kevin Bliss
- Texas Disguising Deaths in Custody, by Diana Claitor
- Administrator of “Whitey” Bulger’s Estate Sues BOP Over His Murder, by Derek Gilna
- North Carolina Case Involving Death of Black Prisoner: “I Can’t Breathe,” Revisited, by Edward Lyon
- Cost of Communicating with Prisoners Breaking Family Budgets During Pandemic, by David Reutter
- New Jersey Releases 2,258 Prisoners to Combat COVID-19 Spread, by David Reutter
- Pennsylvania Prisoner Off Death Row After 33 Years, by David Reutter
- Innovative Vermont Prison Superintendent’s Demotion for Sexist Language Proves Controversial, by Jayson Hawkins
- Another Prisoner’s Needless Death, Another Lawsuit at LaSalle-Run Texarkana Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Judge Approves $25 Million Class Action Settlement Against Global Tel*Link, by Derek Gilna
- The Latest on COVID-19: Will Vaccines be Available Soon?, by Michael D. Cohen, MD
- Former Prisoners Testify on Abuse at Notorious New Jersey Women’s Prison, by Kevin Bliss
- Fifth Circuit Order Denies Texas Prisoners Hand Sanitizer and Cleaning Supplies, by Derek Gilna
- The Role of Prosecutors in Mass Incarceration, by Jayson Hawkins
- California Passes Bill Allowing ICE Detainees to Sue Private Contractors, by Kevin Bliss
- COVID-19 Deaths in Jails, Prisons Exceed Number of Deaths by Execution From 1990 to Present, by Derek Gilna
- Missouri Executes Prisoner During COVID-19 Crisis, by Edward Lyon
- For Some Faiths in Los Angeles County Jails, Volunteer Chaplains Are in Short Supply, by Douglas Ankney
- $5.9 Million Settlement in Death of Transgender Prisoner at New York’s Rikers Island, by Matthew Clarke
- Connecticut Prisoner Commits Suicide With COVID-19 Protective Mask, by Kevin Bliss
- Prisoners Exonerated in Michigan After Police Misconduct Revealed, by Edward Lyon
- Woman Sues Mississippi Parole Board for Discrimination and Retaliation, by Anthony Accurso
- Maine Jail Gets a Pass for Using Pepper Spray on Mentally Ill Prisoners, by Daniel A. Rosen, Kevin Bliss
- Privatized Food Service Problems at Pennsylvania’s Allegheny County Jail, by Jayson Hawkins
- $177,500 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Five Louisiana Prisoners Pepper-Sprayed While Handcuffed, by Matthew Clarke
- California Appellate Court Orders 50% Reduction in San Quentin Population Over Fears of COVID-19 Spread, by David Reutter
- COVID-19 Lockdowns in Prisons Affecting Post-Secondary Education, by Kevin Bliss
- Indiana Prisoner Has First Amendment Retaliation Claims Rejected by Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, by Casey Bastian
- Nine Months Later, DOJ Still Hasn’t Provided Senator Rubio With Answers About Rampant Sexual Abuse at Women’s Prisons, by Douglas Ankney
- Members of Congress Probe Pentagon on Accreditation of Military Prisons, by Douglas Ankney
- COVID-19 in the Country’s Largest Female Prison, by Edward Lyon
- $11 Million Settlement in Illinois for Three Men Freed From Prison in Wrongful Convictions, by Anthony Accurso
- Activists Call to Shut Down Illinois Prison, by David Reutter
- Suicides in New York SHUs Surge to Epidemic Levels, by Keith Sanders
- California Jail Prisoner Loses Limbs, but Faces Setback in Lawsuit Alleging Medical Neglect, by Edward Lyon
- Teen Spends 17 Months in Mississippi Jail Without Indictment, by Daniel A. Rosen
- COVID-19 Strikes Alaskan Prison, by Kevin Bliss
- California First State to Eliminate Post-Prison Fees, by Jayson Hawkins
- Julian Assange’s Potential Fate in U.S. Prisons, by Jayson Hawkins
- Families Must Pay for Cremation Bill of Loved Ones Who Die in Prison, by Kevin Bliss
- Fifth Circuit Reinstates Texas Jail Suicide Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner’s Lawsuit Alleging Dental Care Negligence, by David Reutter
- Former Transgender Prisoner Fights for LGBTQ Rights in Massachusetts Prisons, by Kevin Bliss
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Iowa Prisoner’s ADA Claim, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit Reinstates Claims by Immigration Detainee in GEO-Operated Prison Seeking to Marry U.S. Citizen, by Matthew Clarke
- Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Execution Drug Documents Subject to Disclosure, by Matthew Clarke
- DC Circuit Court: “Three Strike” Prisoners Must Show Imminent Danger to File Lawsuits, by David Reutter
- Whistleblower Claims Female Detainees at Privately Run Georgia ICE Facility Had Forced Hysterectomies, by Dale Chappell
- New Documentary Released on Forced Sterilizations of Female Prisoners, by Edward Lyon
- Maine Superspreader: Few Masks at Wedding Lead to Big Problems at Prison, by Jayson Hawkins
- News in Brief
More from Casey Bastian:
- Minneapolis Police Department Surveillance Operation Kneels on the Neck of the First Amendment, Feb. 15, 2023
- The District of Colombia: Inside the Most Expansive Surveillance Network in America, Feb. 15, 2023
- Registry of Approved Standards Adds Two New 3D Firearm Analysis Standards, Feb. 15, 2023
- Federal Judge in Pennsylvania Rules BOP Must Honor Transgender Prisoner’s Legal Name Change, Feb. 1, 2023
- The Debunking of Forensic Science: A Decade of Increased Scrutiny Reveals Forensic Processes Prone to Bias and Error, Jan. 15, 2023
- Traditional Forensic Ballistics Comparisons Giving Way to Virtual 3D Methods, Jan. 15, 2023
- The National Registry of Exonerations 2021 Annual Report: 161 Exonerations Comprising 1,849 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment, Jan. 15, 2023
- Review of Prior Research Identifies Three Main Sources of Bias in Jury Decision-Making Processes, Jan. 15, 2023
- Police Foundations: The Impossible Task of Separating the World of Policing From the World of Corporate Money, Jan. 15, 2023
- Charlotte Is Ground Zero for New FBI Asset Forfeiture Tip Line Program, Jan. 15, 2023
More from these topics:
- PLN Contributor’s Retaliation Suit Against Oregon Prison Officials Survives, Feb. 1, 2023. Retaliation for Media Contact, Retaliation for Filing Grievances.
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court: Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Where Trial Counsel Believed, Erroneously, He Had Ethical Duty to Tell Prosecution Location of Key Incriminating Evidence Not in Counsel’s Possession, Jan. 15, 2023. Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, Erroneous Rejection of Challenge, Evidence - Failure to Disclose.
- Seventh Circuit Reiterates That Threats and Withholding Grievance Forms Render Administrative Remedies Unavailable to Prisoner, July 15, 2022. Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment.
- Virginia Prisoner Awarded $5,000 in Suit Alleging Retaliation for Reporting Abuse by Guard, But So Far Unable to Collect, June 29, 2022. Guard Misconduct, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Long-Time PLN Contributor Released from Solitary Stint in Oregon for ‘Contraband’ Toy Phone, Feb. 1, 2022. Retaliation for Litigating, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Control Units/SHU/Solitary Confinement.
- No Summary Judgment on Oregon Prisoner’s Retaliatory Termination Claim, Feb. 1, 2021. Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Summary Judgment.
- Rapper Sues BOP Alleging Torture, Jan. 1, 2021. Religious Discrimination, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Eighth Amendment, Policy Considerations.
- Woman Sues Mississippi Parole Board for Discrimination and Retaliation, Dec. 1, 2020. Gender Discrimination -- Women, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Probation, Parole & Supervised Release.
- Seventh Circuit: Transfer of Indiana Prisoner Based on Substance of Grievances Not Retaliatory, Aug. 1, 2020. Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Retaliatory Transfers.
- $140,000 Settlement in Ohio Jail Beating, Retaliation Case, Aug. 1, 2020. Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.