Loaded on Nov. 15, 2007 published in Prison Legal News November, 2007, page 33
In November 2006, the family of a man who suffered fatal injuries when he fell over a railing on an upper floor of an Atlanta jail settled with the city for $150,000.
Decedent Todd Jones, 37, was arrested ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Prison Drinking Water and Wastewater Pollution Threaten Environmental Safety Nationwide, by John Dannenberg
- Suit Over Death in Rockwall County, Texas, Settles for $100,000
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Texas Last State in Union to Get Prison Phones, by Matthew Clarke
- Habeas Hints: Habeas Year in Review: 2007, by Kent A. Russell
- Dallas County Jail Deficient, Says 2006 Report; DOJ Files Suit, by Gary Hunter
- $56,000 Settlement for Torturous Eight Hours in New Jersey Jail
- Arizona and Indiana Prisoner Uprising at GEO-Run Prison in Indiana
- Innocent Indiana Man Awarded $9 Million for 20 Years Imprisonment
- Federal Jury Awards $530,000 for Wrongful Death in Minnesota Jail, by Michael Rigby
- Five-Year Forecast: Prison Population Will Swell 13%—Triple America’s Growth Rate
- Michigan’s Law Attaching Prisoner Retirement Benefits Trumped By Federal Law
- Overcrowded Washington DOC’s Solution: Ship ’Em Out of State, by David Reutter
- MDC Brooklyn: Sex Scandal and 11 Staff Indicted for Beating Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Oklahoma Court Orders Sentenced Prisoners Transported to Prison
- PHS Fails Benchmarks In NYC Jail Medical Contract; Fined $250,000
- Like America, Japan Allows Guards to Walk After Prisoner Abuse Convictions
- Indiana DOC Agrees to Remove Mentally Ill Prisoners from Control Units
- March Madness in Georgia Prisons, by Matthew Clarke
- Rikers Island Diapered Mentally Ill in Segregation
- Prisoners Died By the Thousands Between 2001 and 2004, by Michael Rigby
- Reformed Dental Care Will Have Ohio Prisoners Smiling, by Michael Rigby
- Inadequate Medical Care Alleged at Alameda County, CA Jail – Four Prisoners Dead
- U.S. Prison and Jail Population Continues Meteoric Rise, by Michael Rigby
- State Auditor Flunks California DOC For Failure To Make Prison Population Projections, by Marvin Mentor
- Corruption in Awarding California DOC Medical Contract Exposed, by Marvin Mentor
- Texas Jail Pays $200,000 to Settle Rape/Suicide Suit
- California DOC Guards Win Injunction to Stop Prisoner Transfers Out-Of-State; Transfers Continue While State Appeals
- California DOC Pays PLN’s Attorneys $320,000 In Fees/Costs Related To Mail Censorship Settlement, by John Dannenberg
- Cook County, Illinois, To Pay $4,575,000 for Nonconsensual STD Testing
- $150,000 Settlement in Suit over Atlanta Prisoner’s Fall-Related Death
- Utah DOC Audit: Ingrained Staff Cronyism Stymies Workplace Effectiveness, by John Dannenberg
- California DOC Contract Registry Pharmacist Accused of Diverting 93% of Referrals to His Own Corporation
- New York High Court Invokes Due Process Rights for Civil Commitment of Alleged Sexual Predators
- Pennsylvania Prison Legal Mail Policy Unconstitutional, Enjoined, by Matthew Clarke
- California’s Prison Drug Procurements Separate from Other State Agencies
- Federal Prisoner Beaten On Texas Recreation Yard Awarded $350,000
- California DOC Federal Healthcare Receiver Issues Master Remedial Plan, by John Dannenberg
- “Please Rip Us Off” Florida Officials Tell Private Prison Companies, by David Reutter
- Study on Barriers to Employment of Ex-Prisoners in Milwaukee Released, by Matthew Clarke
- California Inspector General: $1 Billion In DOC Drug Treatment Program “A Complete Waste Of Money”, by Marvin Mentor
- News in Brief:
- Connecticut Strip Search Suit Settles For $2.5 Million
More from these topics:
- Montana Involuntary Committed Individuals May Be Restrained During Transport, Sept. 10, 2018. Transportation, Mental Health.
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, Sept. 4, 2018. OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Mothers in Prison, Children of Prisoners.
- Los Angeles County Settles Lawsuit over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $1.7 Million, Sept. 3, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Settlements, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- Colorado County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $3.5 Million, Sept. 3, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- HRDC Files Suit Against FDOC Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Starvation Death, Sept. 3, 2018. Food, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), PLN Litigation.
- Ohio City, Medical Center Settle Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $210,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- 15 Years to Life for Jailers Who Beat Mentally Ill Prisoner to Death, Aug. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Prison/Jail Murders, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Mental Health.
- Alabama Prisoners Suffer Nation’s Highest Homicide, Suicide Rates, Aug. 6, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Overcrowding, Staffing, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- $650,000 Settlement in Oregon Jail Wrongful Death Claim, Aug. 6, 2018. Respiratory, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.