$7 Million in Settlements in Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Death from Medical Negligence
by David M. Reutter
The Denver Health Medical Center has settled a claim of negligent care for $4 million after releasing a prisoner with internal injuries who later died. Six months later, the Denver City Council approved an ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Prisoners Exposed to Toxic Dust at UNICOR Recycling Factories, by Brandon Sample
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Allegations of Contraband Smuggling, Sex and Corruption at Texas Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- Organizing for Freedom: Resistance at Angola State Penitentiary, Louisiana’s Last Slave Plantation, by Jordan Flaherty
- U.S. Homeland Security Illegally Drugged Immigrants for Deportation, by Gary Hunter
- Connecticut DOC Settles Prisoner’s Brutal Beating By Ten Guards For $500,000
- Multiple Incidents Indicate Florida Jail Has Culture of Abuse
- Prisoners’ Death Rate Report Indicts Prison Medical Care by Implication, by David Reutter
- Welcome to Fun Day: Crime and Punishment in the United States, by Marie Gottschalk
- Cook County Jail Conditions Unconstitutional, Charges Department of Justice, by David Reutter
- CMS Fails to Treat MRSA Infection; Florida Jail Prisoner Dies
- Oregon Juvenile Facility Warden Indicted; Youth Authority Director Resigns, by Mark Wilson
- Violence and Corruption at Rikers Island; Called a “Battle Camp for Kids”, by David Reutter
- Former PHS Doctor Arrested on Drug Charges
- Prison Health and Self-Care: MRSA, by Michael D. Cohen, MD
- Cold Case Hits Use Vastly Exaggerated DNA “Match” Statistics; Upheld by California Supreme Court, by Matthew Clarke
- $885,437.24 Award for CMS Massachusetts Jail Nurse Barred for Reporting Prisoner Abuse
- 115,000 Florida Ex-Felons Have Civil Rights Restored Under New Rules
- Texas Prison Guard Files False Report, Faces 20 Years, by Gary Hunter
- Los Angeles County Settles For $900,000 After Unattended Prisoner Savagely Beaten By Violent Jail Gang
- Texas Prisoners Pay Parole Consultants Hefty Fees
- TASER Avoids Liability in Three Deaths by Suing Medical Examiner, by John Dannenberg
- $3,540,402.22 Jury Award In California Wrongful Conviction Case
- PR Bonds Plummet in Harris County, Texas as Jail Overflows, by Gary Hunter
- Nurse Pleads Guilty in Death of Florida Juvenile Prisoner
- Ohio Court Finds Three-Drug Execution Protocol Violates Prisoners’ State Rights
- Florida Prison Employees Awarded $630,000 for Subjection to Prisoner “Gunners”
- Demonstrators Supporting Guantanamo Prisoners in Front of U.S. Supreme Court Found Guilty of Unlawful Assembly
- $170,000 Jury Verdict in Sacramento Jail Beating
- Costs for San Quentin’s Proposed New Death Row Spiral Upward, by John Dannenberg
- Washington State’s Criminal Libel Statute Held Unconstitutional; Prisoner Disciplinary Conviction Vacated, by John Dannenberg
- Florida Sheriff Sued for Awarding No-Bid Health Care Contract, Receiving Gifts
- Civil Commitment Provisions of Adam Walsh Act Held Unconstitutional
- PHS Receives Three-Year $366 Million Rikers Island Medical Care Contract Renewal Despite Non-Performance Fines for Last Three Years, by John Dannenberg
- Washington Jail Remodel Violated State Law, at a Cost of $51.6 million, by Mark Wilson
- Michigan Escape is Not “Violent Felony” for ACCA Purposes
- Jail Nurse Guilty of Forging Doctor’s Order; Forged Orders Common Jail Practice, by Mark Wilson
- $7 Million in Settlements in Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Death from Medical Negligence, by David Reutter
- Ohio Jail Guard’s Excessive Force Conviction Affirmed
- $1,100,000 Settlement in Juvenile Prisoner Suicide in Union County, New Jersey
- Will California’s $11 Billion Prison Outlay Survive State Budget Cuts?, by Marvin Mentor
- Second Circuit Recognizes Attorney-Client Privilege in Prisoner’s Journal in Prosecution of Rapist Guard
- Rape of Child by Former Washington DOC Director’s Son Spawns Departmental Crisis, by John Dannenberg
- Ex-Con Exposed – Had Posed as a Lawyer, by John Dannenberg
- $5 Million Settlement For Illegal Strip Searches In Las Cruces, NM Jail
- New Jersey Court Enters Preliminary Injunction Barring Women Prisoners at Men’s Prison
- PEW Report: 1 in 99 Adult Americans Behind Bars In 2007, by John Dannenberg
- Maryland DOC Pays $500,000 for Detainee Beaten to Death By Guards
- $7,025 Award in Slip and Fall From Ohio Prison Bunk
- Georgia Sheriff Must Give Revenue from Prisoner Phone Calls to County, by David Reutter
- Beleaguered Oregon Sheriff Steps Down, by Mark Wilson
- Violence at Oklahoma Prisons Leaves Two Dead, Twenty-Five Injured, by Matthew Clarke
- News in Brief:
- Sixth Circuit Now Permits § 1983 Complaint to Proceed Even If Prisoner Did Not Initially Plead Exhaustion Below
More from David Reutter:
- Vermont Supreme Court: Defendant Cannot be Compelled to Submit to Competency Evaluation by State’s Expert, June 17, 2018
- Numerous Deaths, Sealed Settlements in North Carolina Jails, June 5, 2018
- Guards Sentenced for Beating Prisoners at Kentucky Jail, June 5, 2018
- Iowa Supreme Court Rules District Courts Have Authority to Hear Postconviction Relief Actions Involving Deprivation of Liberty or Property Interest, May 21, 2018
- Coast Guard's Detention Based on Ethnicity Violates Fourth Amendment, May 10, 2018
- Judge Threatens Arizona Officials with Contempt Over Inadequate Prisoner Medical Care, May 7, 2018
- 2 Georgia officers forced out over racist Facebook posts targeting black motorists, April 23, 2018
- Reason for Missing Deadline Did Not Reach Level of Excusable Neglect, April 23, 2018
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018
- Intellectual Disability and Wrongful Conviction in Death Cases: A Lethal Combination, April 19, 2018
More from these topics:
- $95,000 Settlement in Suit Over Idaho Jail Prisoner's Death, June 16, 2018. Medical, Drug Overdose, Overcrowding, Ventilation, Jail Specific, Settlements, Probation, 1964 Civil Rights Act, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Staff Training, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- California Prisoner Denied Medical Treatment Settles Suit with Prison Medical Staff, June 16, 2018. Medical, Vision, Surgery, Misdiagnosis, Eighth Amendment, Settlements, Guards/Staff.
- Corrections Corporation of America Settles Medical Neglect Suit with Louisiana Prisoner, June 16, 2018. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Medical, Medication, Eighth Amendment, Settlements.
- Settlement in Lawsuit Over Missouri Jail Prisoner’s Death, June 8, 2018. Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Kansas Prisoner Who Warned “Something is Eating my Brain” Dies of Untreated Brain Infection, June 8, 2018. Corizon, Brain Injury, Failure to Treat, Infections, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Cause of Action for Shaming Sex Therapy May Not Accrue Until after Release from Prison, June 7, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Jail Misconduct, Mental Health, Involuntary Treatment/Drugging.
- While in Custody: The Fight to Stop Jail Deaths in Washington State, June 5, 2018. CONMED, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Accidents, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- Hudson County Settles for $407,500 over Wrongful Death of New Jersey Inmate, May 18, 2018. Medical, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- Texas Jail Administrator Receives $115,000 Settlement for Wrongful Termination, May 17, 2018. Medical, Cancer, Jail Specific, Americans with Disabilities Act, Disabled Employees.
- Prisoner Awarded $25,000 Against Texas Guard Who Facilitated Assault, May 17, 2018. Prison Gangs, Injury -- Misc., Damages, Depositions, Trials.