Loaded on May 15, 2012 by Alex Friedmann published in Prison Legal News May, 2012, page 12
In January 2008, PLN filed a request with the District of Columbia’s Department of Corrections ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Prison Slave Labor Replaces Freeworld Workers in Down Economy, by David Reutter
- Work Crews Salvage Georgia Prison Contract, by David Reutter
- Report Deconstructs Urban Legend of 100,000 Missing Sex Offenders, by David Reutter
- Eighth Circuit Affirms No First Amendment Right to Lower Prison Phone Rates, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- PLN Public Records Suit Reveals Litigation Payouts for District of Columbia DOC, by Alex Friedmann
- Prisons: An Unsustainable Jobs Program
- Research Finds Capital Punishment System in California is Costly, Ineffectual
- Ninth Circuit Holds Phoenix New Times Executives May Sue Special Prosecutor over Improper Arrests; Prosecutor Disbarred, by Matthew Clarke
- New York Not Liable for DOCS’ Unauthorized Addition of Post-Release Supervision
- California Pilot Program Reduces Recidivism
- Georgia Court Rules Prisoners Held in County Facilities Barred from Suing State for Negligence
- Private Prison Health-care Industry Grows as States Cut Costs, Bringing in Millions of Dollars, by Yana Kunichoff
- Seventh Circuit Upholds Indiana DOC’s Ban on Pen-Pal Ads, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit Holds Hawaii Prison Officials Entitled to Qualified Immunity when Calculating Release Dates in Accordance with State Law
- $3,750 Posthumous Settlement in California Prisoner’s Medical Suit
- Dramatic Increase in Number of Hispanics Sentenced to Federal Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana Sheriff Pleads Guilty to Corruption Charges
- Pennsylvania Businessman Sentenced to 18 Months in “Kids for Cash” Kickback Scandal
- Ninth Circuit Holds New Claims Need Only be Exhausted Prior to Filing Amended Complaint
- Pennsylvania Prisoner’s $185,000 Jury Award Reduced to $75,005, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida Lawmakers Disband Correctional Medical Authority
- New Director of Tennessee Corrections Institute Faces Conflict of Interest
- California: Federal Court Grants Increased Attorney Fee Rates in Armstrong Disability Case
- Florida Citizen Fights CCA over Public Records Request
- Ohio Prison Industry Cuts Over 35% of Workforce
- Ninth Circuit Rules Sheriff May be Held Liable for Violence in Los Angeles County Jails
- Washington State Corrections Secretary Resigns Due to Affair with Subordinate, by Matthew Clarke
- Tennessee Discontinues Polygraph Tests as Sex Offender Supervision Tool
- Arizona Privatizes Health Care in State Prison System
- Juvenile Facility Guard’s Bigamous Marriage Complicates Death Benefits
- California Appeals Court Holds Release from Prison Moots Challenge to Parole Denial
- New York Prison System Allows Same-Sex Partners to Participate in Family Reunion Program
- Arizona DOC Makes Visitors Pay for Prison Maintenance, Repairs, by Joe Watson
- Seattle Federal Halfway House Case Manager’s Reentry Plan for Prisoner Allegedly Included Sex, Heroin, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Says DNA Backlog No Longer Exists, by Derek Gilna
- UNICOR Fraudsters Plead Guilty, Sentenced
- New Washington State Law Eliminates Tolling of Community Custody upon Violation
- Reports on Privatizing Ohio Prisons Indicate Savings are Illusory, by David Reutter
- Failure to Refute Expert Testimony Warrants Summary Judgment Against California Prisoner Suing for Medical Malpractice
- The Criminalization of Mental Illness in Missouri, by Christopher Cross
- Alabama Uses Federal Stimulus Money to Prop up Prison System
- Class Certified in Lawsuit Challenging Conditions at CCA-operated Indiana Jail, but Case Dismissed on Summary Judgment, by David Reutter
- Civil Commitment Must be Challenged through Commitment Proceedings Instead of Habeas Corpus, by Brandon Sample
- Third Circuit: § 2241 is Proper Vehicle for BOP IFRP Challenges, by Mark Wilson
- New Mexico Judge Arrested for Raping Prostitute
- Seven Argentine Military Officials Sentenced for Crimes against Prisoners
- News in Brief
More from Alex Friedmann:
- A Primer on Prisoners’ Constitutional Rights, Nov. 14, 2016
- Apples-to-Fish: Public and Private Prison Cost Comparisons, Oct. 3, 2016
- Securus Faces Lawsuit Over Recorded Attorney Calls, Aug. 2, 2016
- PLN Challenges Postcard-only Policy at Jail in Knoxville, TN, Oct. 26, 2015
- Who Owns Private Prison Stock?, July 31, 2015
- 32 Deaths at CCA-operated Immigration Detention Facilities Include at Least 7 Suicides, July 7, 2015
- How the Courts View ACA Accreditation, Oct. 10, 2014
- Recidivism Performance Measures for Private Halfway Houses in Pennsylvania, Sept. 19, 2014
- Lowering Recidivism through Family Communication, April 15, 2014
- Best Criminal Defense Pleading Ever!, Nov. 15, 2013
More from these topics:
- Judicial Watch Not Entitled to Internal Department of Defense Memo In Bowe Bergdahl Case, D.C. Circuit Court Rules, Sept. 6, 2017. War on Terror, Freedom of Information Act.
- Second Circuit Rules Against American Civil Liberties Union on Drone Strike FOIA Request, Sept. 1, 2017. War on Terror, Freedom of Information Act.
- Media Companies Denied Damages and Fees in Public Records Litigation, Sept. 1, 2017. Shootings, Freedom of Information Act.
- California Prison Guard's Dismissal Upheld By Appellate Court, Aug. 31, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Employee Litigation.
- Mississippi Closes Troubled Former Youth Prison, Aug. 30, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Guard Misconduct, Cost of Prison Systems, Juvenile Prisons.
- BJS Studies Show Number of Prisoners, Probationers Continues to Drop Slightly, Aug. 30, 2017. Statistics/Trends.
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, Aug. 30, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- HRDC/PLN Obtain Landmark Nationwide Censorship Settlement with Private Prison Company , Aug. 30, 2017. Management and Training Corporation, Publications/Books, PLN Litigation, Censorship, First Amendment.
- Almost 270 Die in Pre-trial Detention in Canadian Jails in Last Five Years, Aug. 30, 2017. Statistics/Trends, Wrongful Death.
- TN Prison Counselor Suspended for Posting Insults on Facebook, Aug. 30, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Guards/Staff.