by Christopher Zoukis
The federal Bureau of Prisons settled a claim that alleged abusive use of "four-point" restraints in United States Penitentiary Atlanta, Georgia in the late 1990s.
Three prisoners held at USP Atlanta who were subjected to immobilization in four-point restraints filed suit over the practice in federal district ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from Christopher Zoukis:
- From Abuse of the Body to Abuse of the Mind:Police Use Psychologically Coercive Interrogation Techniques to Produce False Confessions, Sept. 18, 2018
- Top Federal Death Penalty Lawyer Demoted, Reassigned, Sept. 3, 2018
- Rikers Island Beat Down Suit Settles for $165,000, but Victim Won’t See a Penny, Sept. 2, 2018
- $750,000 Settlement Paid by California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for Wrongful Death, Aug. 23, 2018
- $9 Million Settlement in Baltimore Wrongful Conviction Case, Aug. 19, 2018
- Fifth Circuit Affirms Habeas Relief Granted to Louisiana Prisoner Who Overcame SOL by ‘Credible Showing of Actual Innocence’, Aug. 19, 2018
- Seventh Circuit: ‘Force’ for Aggravated Sexual Abuse Requires ‘Physical Force,’ Not Psychological Coercion, Aug. 19, 2018
- Washington Supreme Court Clarifies Process by Which Insanity Acquittees May Petition for Release, Aug. 19, 2018
- Cato Institute: Require Cops to Carry Liability Insurance, Aug. 19, 2018
- Eighth Circuit Rules Officer’s Inability to Read Temporary Vehicle Tag Does Not Justify Traffic Stop, Evidence Obtained Must be Suppressed, Aug. 19, 2018
More from these topics:
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- $380,000 settlement in Cook County Jail abuse case, Sept. 5, 2018. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Jail Misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Jail Specific, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Privacy Interests Outweigh Public Interest in Disclosure of AUSA Termination Letter, Sept. 3, 2018. Freedom of Information Act.
- Federal Court Issues Injunction Over Conditions on Virginia’s Death Row, Sept. 3, 2018. Eighth Amendment, Death Row.
- $375,000 Settlement for Ohio Woman Pepper Sprayed in Jail’s Restraint Chair, Aug. 6, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints.
- $125,000 Awarded to Pennsylvania Prisoner over Excessive Force by Guards, July 27, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Retaliation, Pain, Skeletal Injury, Eighth Amendment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Pennsylvania Prisoner Receives Settlement from Guards over Excessive Force Suit, July 26, 2018. Racial Discrimination, Retaliation, Excessive Force, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints.
- California Prisoner Moved to Formerly Condemned Facility with No Bed Settles Civil Rights Suit, July 26, 2018. Pain, Failure to Treat, Totality of Conditions, Eighth Amendment, Bedding, Fourteenth Amendment, rights, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Assaulted Detainee Settles with Louisiana Jail over Deliberate Indifference to His Safety, July 26, 2018. Brain Injury, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Eighth Amendment, Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Failure to Protect (Staff), Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- Prison Excessive Force Cases: A Primer, July 25, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Eighth Amendment, Attorneys, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Civil Procedure, Eleventh Amendment Immunity, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.