Shackled South African Prisoner Beaten by GEO Guards Wins Lawsuit
In May 2016, private prison firm The GEO Group, which operates the maximum-security Louis Kutama Sinthumule Correctional Centre in Louis Trichard, South Africa, lost a lawsuit that alleged the company’s guards beat a prisoner while he was restrained in handcuffs and shackles. Prisoner Takalani Neluheni claimed that in February 2011 at least nine guards forced him to undress before he was searched anally, and that a guard struck him and another jumped on his genitals.
He then stated that while still restrained he was dragged down some stairs, hitting his head, and placed in solitary confinement for 42 days. Neluheni argued that he was “not a violent person,” and said he suffered serious injuries to his genitals, was given poisoned tea and did not receive medical care from the prison doctor.
Neluheni was awarded R200,000 (around $14,290) by Judge Nomsa Khumal, who rejected the GEO guards’ assertions that he was a violent person and had assaulted them, though the judge said Neluheni did tend to exaggerate. In the final analysis, Khumal rejected prison officials’ version of the facts, noting that they clearly disliked Neluheni and had fabricated a story in an attempt to cover up the assault.
GEO Group, one of the largest private prison operators in the world, has been sued multiple times in different countries for excessive use of force by its employees, and has been the subject of numerous articles in Prison Legal News.
More from this issue:
- Culture of Abuse and Corruption Plagues Jail in Denver, Colorado, by Lonnie Burton
- Texas: Complaint Filed Over Contaminated Water, Conditions at Eastham Unit , by Panagioti Tsolkas
- Michigan: Contract for Prisoner Legal Writer Program Results in Controversy
- Rundown on California Propositions 57 and 64, by Kent A. Russell
- Illinois: DNA Evidence Exonerates One Man, Implicates Another
- Imprisoned Author Denied Access to His Own Published Writing
- Seventh Circuit Tells Wisconsin Probationer with Gender Dysphoria how to Proceed, by Matthew Clarke
- Georgia Prison Guards Face Sexual Assault Charges
- Judge Rips DOJ Lawyers for “Series of Misrepresentations,” Orders Ethics Training, by Derek Gilna
- Krome Detention Center has Long History of Detainee Abuse, by David Reutter
- $28.1 Million Jury Award after Eighth Circuit Allows Conspiracy Claims in Nebraska Wrongful Conviction Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- New York: Nearly $10 Million in Settlements Over Denial of Medical Care at Rikers Island
- Michigan’s Wayne County Jails Plagued with Inhumane Conditions
- Michigan: Corizon Audit Finds Deficiencies, State Extends and Expands Contract Anyway
- Model Mental Health Care Diversion System Started by Miami Judge, by David Reutter
- Nebraska: Portions of Lawsuit over Guard’s Sexual Assault Allowed to Proceed
- BOP Prisoner’s FTCA Wage Suit States Cause of Action
- Three California Jail Guards Charged with Murdering One Prisoner, Assaulting Another, by Christopher Zoukis
- Constitutional Amendment Ensures Executions will Continue in Oklahoma , by Christopher Zoukis
- Two Fulton County Jail Employees Subject to Liability in Detainee’s Suicide
- FCI Danbury Prisoners Finally Transferred to New Women’s Facility
- Increased Access to Higher Education Programs for California Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- Deaths Due to Neglect in U.S. Jails Reflect Nation’s Values , by David Reutter
- Mississippi: Hinds County Jails in Crisis, Face Mandated Reforms, by David Reutter
- New York DA Supervisor Engages in Kinky Fetishes, Wife Claims, by Derek Gilna
- Report Finds Charging Criminal Justice Fees Perpetuates Mass Incarceration, by Matthew Clarke
- Hawaii Warden Subjected Female Prisoners to “Shame Therapy”
- Correctional Medical Care Pays $425,000 Settlement in Prisoner’s Opiate Withdrawal Death
- Securus Phone Rates Spark Uprising at Alaska Prison , by Joe Watson
- Georgia’s Supreme Court Rules on Private Probation Services
- State University of New York “Bans the Box” on Student Applications
- Dear Librarian: Filling the Information Gap for Prisoners with No Internet Access , by Christopher Zoukis
- Jail Official Convicted of Illegally Recording Phone Conversations Loses Appeal, by Christopher Zoukis
- Shackled South African Prisoner Beaten by GEO Guards Wins Lawsuit, by Derek Gilna
- Recurring Injury Subsequent to Lawsuit Settlement No Bar to New Claim
- Ninth Circuit Vacates Generalized Order to Shackle Pretrial Defendants, En Banc Review Granted
- $325,002 Award to Michigan Prisoner Denied Medical Care for Joint Pain
- Second Circuit Expands Protections from Sexual Abuse by Prison Staff, by Derek Gilna
- Orleans Parish Jail Settles Prisoner Suicide Suit for $1.75 Million, by Derek Gilna
- Merits Ruling on Procedurally Flawed Grievance Satisfies PLRA
- Child Support Relief Coming for Incarcerated Parents
- Tennessee Sheriff Indicted, Suspended and Jailed Over E-cig Business
- Michigan Jail Subject of Wrongful Death Lawsuit and PLN Censorship Suit
- New York Prison Scrutinized, Employees Charged Following High-profile Escape, by Derek Gilna
- ICE Deportations Peaked in FY 2012, Declined from 2013 to 2015, by Derek Gilna
- Continued Need for Prison and Criminal Justice Reforms
- CCA’s Rebranding May Violate Trademark Rights
- NTSB Faults Texas Prison Guard, Road Crews in Transport Bus Deaths, by Derek Gilna
- California County Settles Class-action Lawsuit Over Jail Medical and Mental Health Care, by Matthew Clarke
- PLN Goes Undercover to Bust CCA Employees’ Misuse of Prisoner Labor
- Too Little, Too Late: Prosecutor Remorseful for Sending Innocent Man to Death Row, by David Reutter
- “Natural Causes Killed Victor: A Death in Solitary,” a folk opera by George Swanson (DVD, 55 minutes), by Lance Tapley
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Derek Gilna:
- Colorado Town to Pay $775,000 for Relying on Bogus Snitch, Feb. 8, 2017
- Pennsylvania DOC Ordered to Evaluate Mumia Abu-Jamal for Hep C Treatment, Feb. 8, 2017
- Riot at Private Prison in Arizona Prompts Review, Reforms and Change in Contractor, Feb. 8, 2017
- Studies on Financing of Judicial Campaigns Indicate Need for Reform, Feb. 8, 2017
- PLN Exclusive! Wisconsin DOC Audit Reveals Contract Violations by Community Corrections Provider, Feb. 8, 2017
- Three Reports Provide Data on Prisoners Held in “Restrictive Housing”, Feb. 8, 2017
- Michigan DOC Audit Reveals $3.4 Million in Overcharges by Aramark; Problems Persist Under New Contractor, Feb. 8, 2017
- Justice Department Inspectors Find Problems with BOP Reentry Programs, Feb. 8, 2017
- Negative Report Foreshadows End of G4S Juvenile Operations in UK, Feb. 8, 2017
- Prisoner Deaths, Labor Conflicts Precipitate Loss of CA County Corizon Contract , Feb. 7, 2017
More from these topics:
- Alaska Prisoner Deaths Criticized in Report, Feb. 21, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Systemic Medical Neglect, Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (General), Food, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Failure to Train/Supervise, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- “A Living Nightmare”, Feb. 17, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Searches, Strip Searches, Visitor Searches, Body Cavity Searches, Pat Searches, Jail Specific, Visiting.
- The Private Prison Primer: Stolen shoes and the Kingman riots , Feb. 16, 2017. Private Prisons, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Prison Labor, Prison Rebellion, Voting, PLRA, Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Administrative Exhaustion, Public Records, Grievances.
- Pennsylvania DOC Ordered to Evaluate Mumia Abu-Jamal for Hep C Treatment, Feb. 8, 2017. DOC/BOP misconduct, Political Prisoners, Hepatitis, Failure to Treat.
- Florida’s Civil Commitment Center a “Living Death Sentence”, Feb. 8, 2017. GEO Group/Wackenhut, Sex Offender Registration, Sex Offenders (Discrimination), Sex Offender Residence, Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, Sex Offender Treatment, Civil Commitment.
- Riot at Private Prison in Arizona Prompts Review, Reforms and Change in Contractor, Feb. 8, 2017. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Management and Training Corporation, Contractor Misconduct, Corrections Audits, Prison Rebellion, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- New York Counties, Corizon Reach $1.85 Million Settlement in Detainee’s Death, Feb. 8, 2017. Corizon, Misconduct/Corruption, Contractor Misconduct, Medical Misconduct, Medical, Medication, Systemic Medical Neglect, Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Private Contractors, Medical Expenses, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Immigration, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Some Lawsuits Resolved Against New Mexico Prison Doctor, Others Still Pending, Feb. 8, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Corizon, Centurion, Misconduct/Corruption, Contractor Misconduct, Medical Misconduct, Medical, Private Contractors, Male Reproductive, Forcible Treatment.
- ICE Bans Crayons in Family Detention Center Visiting Area, Feb. 8, 2017. GEO Group/Wackenhut, Immigration, Visiting, Attorney Visits, Juveniles, Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Juvenile Prisons, Family, Mothers in Prison, Children of Prisoners.
- Orange Crush: The Rise of Tactical Teams in Prison, Feb. 8, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Prison Rebellion, Prison Gangs, Cell Searches, Strip Searches, Totality of Conditions, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Water, Arrest and Booking, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Guards/Staff.