by Matt Clarke
On March 2, 2016, a federal jury awarded $25,000 to a woman who had been repeatedly sexually assaulted by a Tulsa, Oklahoma jailer when she was a minor held at the Tulsa County jail.
LaDona A. Poore was 17 years old when she was incarcerated at ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Registration, Tracking of Sex Offenders Drives Mass Incarceration Numbers and Costs, by Rick Anderson
- Congress Passes Legislation Allowing BOP Guards to Carry Pepper Spray, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Court Awards Virginia Prisoner $500 for Excessive Force Claim, by Lonnie Burton
- Las Vegas Judge Ousted after Ordering Public Defender Handcuffed
- $25,000 Federal Jury Award in Suit over Teenager Raped in Oklahoma Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- The Sentencing Project Explores Impact of Race and Ethnicity on U.S. Prison System, by Derek Gilna
- Four Prisoners Murdered at South Carolina Facility
- Fifth Circuit Upholds $2.85 Million Award in Suit over Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison System’s Medical Rule and Policy Invalidated
- The Case of the Disappearing Criminal Jury Trial, by Christopher Zoukis
- Bonds Used to Finance Private Prisons, Jails Turn into Junk, by Christopher Zoukis
- Iowa Prisoner Awarded $1,000 for Jail Beating
- White House Justice Initiative Seeks Economic Boost from Policy Change , by Derek Gilna
- Delaware Supreme Court Strikes Down Death Penalty, Following Hurst Decision, by Derek Gilna
- Malnutrition, Disease Result in Deaths in Overcrowded Haitian Prisons
- PLN Settles Censorship Suit Against Illinois County for $75,000, Policy Changes , by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Lawsuit over Improper Solitary Confinement Affirmed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Reform Advocates Applaud Expiration of CoreCivic Contract in D.C.
- Divided En Banc Sixth Circuit Blocks Release of Federal Mug Shots, by Derek Gilna
- Incarceration Nations: A Journey to Justice in Prisons Around the World, by Baz Dreisinger, by Matthew Clarke
- Flooding Forces Evacuation of Over 4,000 Texas Prisoners , by Matthew Clarke
- Kansas: Self-Defense Must be Disproved in Prison Disciplinary Proceeding, by Lonnie Burton
- Seventh Circuit Remands Untimely Appeal for Rule 4(a) Extension
- Stipulated Order Desegregates Arizona Prisons; $195,000 in Attorney Fees Awarded, by Matthew Clarke
- Missouri Prisoners Vexed by Bills for Incarceration Costs, by Matthew Clarke
- Delaware Supreme Court Declares Death Penalty Retroactively Unconstitutional
- California: Condemned Prisoners Smuggle Drugs to Commit Suicide, by Christopher Zoukis
- UNICOR’s Manufacture of Defective Military Helmets Criticized, by Derek Gilna
- Indiana County is Leader in Sending People to Prison, by Lonnie Burton
- Seventh Circuit: Warden’s Termination of Medical Diets was Deliberately Indifferent
- Eighth Circuit: Exhaustion is Not a Pleading Requirement in FOIA Cases
- Denial of Summary Judgment Upheld in Prisoner’s Retaliation, Excessive Force Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Petition Challenging Disciplinary Hearing Not Mooted After Prison Rescinds Sanction, by Lonnie Burton
- Vicarious Liability Not Available in Medical Malpractice Claim by NY Prisoner
- Failure to Accommodate Deaf Prisoner Costs Oregon DOC $400,000
- Private Probation Company Agrees to Multiple Settlements in Georgia, by Derek Gilna
- Former Texas Police Officer’s Sexual Assault Case Reversed After 21 Years, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit: Warrantless Probationary Cell Phone Search Unconstitutional
- Medical Provider Blamed for Deaths at New York Jail Replaced by Another Contractor ... Then Another, by Joe Watson
- Federal Judge Grants Ex-offender “Certificate of Rehabilitation”, by Derek Gilna
- New Hampshire Jail Doctor Suspended Pending Misconduct Hearing
- Vigilantes Assault, Rob and Murder Registered Sex Offenders, by Matthew Clarke
- $49,500 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Beating Suit
- Prosecutor’s Investigation Results in Release of Illinois Prisoner Convicted in 1957 Cold Case, by Christopher Zoukis
- CCA Prison Caught Recording Attorney-Client Meetings, Sharing Videos with Prosecutors
- Quickest Path to Reducing Pretrial Incarceration? Eliminate Money Bail, by Derek Gilna
- $200,000 Settlement Over Oklahoma Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Texas Prison System Bans Social Media for Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Report Says Private Prison Companies Increase Recidivism, by Derek Gilna
- After Fourteen Years, BOP Settles Prison Legal News FOIA Suit for $420,000, by Derek Gilna
- NCCHC Adopts New Solitary Confinement Standards, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Supreme Court Overturns Colorado’s Attempt to Keep Funds from Exonerated Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Out of Prison, Uncovered, by Beth Schwartzapfel
- Fourth Circuit: IFRP Challenges Cognizable Under § 2241
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Healthcare and Handcuffs: BOP Assigns Medical Staff to Security Positions, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- 7th Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner's Civil Rights Lawsuit, April 20, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 20, 2018
- The ‘Office Shuffle’: Ohio Police Recycle Bad Apples Among Rural Departments, April 19, 2018
- Controversial Police Interrogation Technique That Often Results in False Confessions Abandoned by Influential Training Consultant, April 19, 2018
- Texas Quietly Authorizes Nation’s First Public Safety Employees Treatment Courts, April 19, 2018
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Holds Defendant Entitled to Self-Defense Jury Charge if There is Any Evidence to Support It, April 19, 2018
- Tenth Circuit upholds class certification of immigration detainees forced to labor, April 16, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 16, 2018
More from these topics:
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- The High Cost of Texas Prison Rape Data, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Gender Discrimination -- Women, OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, Jan. 8, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, Jan. 8, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $330,000 Settles Guard-on-Prisoner Sexual Assault Claims, Dec. 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Staff-Prisoner Harassment.
- Political Contributions Drove Juvenile Prison Privatization, Dec. 28, 2017. Private Prisons, Youth Services International, Misconduct/Corruption, Excessive Force, Money/Property, Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Juvenile Prisons.
- Florida Legislator Tackles Abuse of Juvenile Prisoners, Dec. 28, 2017. Sexual Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Prison Reform, Excessive Force, Juveniles, Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Juvenile Prisons.
- Report Finds Texas Prison Staff Often Ignore Reports of Prison Rape, Dec. 19, 2017. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Gay/Lesbian, Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Prison Gangs, Retaliatory Discipline, Prison Rape Elimination Act.