by Matt Clarke
On March 2, 2016, a federal jury awarded $25,000 to a woman who had been repeatedly sexually assaulted by a Tulsa, Oklahoma jailer when she was a minor held at the Tulsa County jail.
LaDona A. Poore was 17 years old when she was incarcerated at ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Registration, Tracking of Sex Offenders Drives Mass Incarceration Numbers and Costs, by Rick Anderson
- Congress Passes Legislation Allowing BOP Guards to Carry Pepper Spray, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Court Awards Virginia Prisoner $500 for Excessive Force Claim, by Lonnie Burton
- Las Vegas Judge Ousted after Ordering Public Defender Handcuffed
- $25,000 Federal Jury Award in Suit over Teenager Raped in Oklahoma Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- The Sentencing Project Explores Impact of Race and Ethnicity on U.S. Prison System, by Derek Gilna
- Four Prisoners Murdered at South Carolina Facility
- Fifth Circuit Upholds $2.85 Million Award in Suit over Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison System’s Medical Rule and Policy Invalidated
- The Case of the Disappearing Criminal Jury Trial, by Christopher Zoukis
- Bonds Used to Finance Private Prisons, Jails Turn into Junk, by Christopher Zoukis
- Iowa Prisoner Awarded $1,000 for Jail Beating
- White House Justice Initiative Seeks Economic Boost from Policy Change , by Derek Gilna
- Delaware Supreme Court Strikes Down Death Penalty, Following Hurst Decision, by Derek Gilna
- Malnutrition, Disease Result in Deaths in Overcrowded Haitian Prisons
- PLN Settles Censorship Suit Against Illinois County for $75,000, Policy Changes , by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Lawsuit over Improper Solitary Confinement Affirmed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Reform Advocates Applaud Expiration of CoreCivic Contract in D.C.
- Divided En Banc Sixth Circuit Blocks Release of Federal Mug Shots, by Derek Gilna
- Incarceration Nations: A Journey to Justice in Prisons Around the World, by Baz Dreisinger, by Matthew Clarke
- Flooding Forces Evacuation of Over 4,000 Texas Prisoners , by Matthew Clarke
- Kansas: Self-Defense Must be Disproved in Prison Disciplinary Proceeding, by Lonnie Burton
- Seventh Circuit Remands Untimely Appeal for Rule 4(a) Extension
- Stipulated Order Desegregates Arizona Prisons; $195,000 in Attorney Fees Awarded, by Matthew Clarke
- Missouri Prisoners Vexed by Bills for Incarceration Costs, by Matthew Clarke
- Delaware Supreme Court Declares Death Penalty Retroactively Unconstitutional
- California: Condemned Prisoners Smuggle Drugs to Commit Suicide, by Christopher Zoukis
- UNICOR’s Manufacture of Defective Military Helmets Criticized, by Derek Gilna
- Indiana County is Leader in Sending People to Prison, by Lonnie Burton
- Seventh Circuit: Warden’s Termination of Medical Diets was Deliberately Indifferent
- Eighth Circuit: Exhaustion is Not a Pleading Requirement in FOIA Cases
- Denial of Summary Judgment Upheld in Prisoner’s Retaliation, Excessive Force Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Petition Challenging Disciplinary Hearing Not Mooted After Prison Rescinds Sanction, by Lonnie Burton
- Vicarious Liability Not Available in Medical Malpractice Claim by NY Prisoner
- Failure to Accommodate Deaf Prisoner Costs Oregon DOC $400,000
- Private Probation Company Agrees to Multiple Settlements in Georgia, by Derek Gilna
- Former Texas Police Officer’s Sexual Assault Case Reversed After 21 Years, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit: Warrantless Probationary Cell Phone Search Unconstitutional
- Medical Provider Blamed for Deaths at New York Jail Replaced by Another Contractor ... Then Another, by Joe Watson
- Federal Judge Grants Ex-offender “Certificate of Rehabilitation”, by Derek Gilna
- New Hampshire Jail Doctor Suspended Pending Misconduct Hearing
- Vigilantes Assault, Rob and Murder Registered Sex Offenders, by Matthew Clarke
- $49,500 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Beating Suit
- Prosecutor’s Investigation Results in Release of Illinois Prisoner Convicted in 1957 Cold Case, by Christopher Zoukis
- CCA Prison Caught Recording Attorney-Client Meetings, Sharing Videos with Prosecutors
- Quickest Path to Reducing Pretrial Incarceration? Eliminate Money Bail, by Derek Gilna
- $200,000 Settlement Over Oklahoma Jail Prisoner’s Death, by Matthew Clarke
- Texas Prison System Bans Social Media for Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Report Says Private Prison Companies Increase Recidivism, by Derek Gilna
- After Fourteen Years, BOP Settles Prison Legal News FOIA Suit for $420,000, by Derek Gilna
- NCCHC Adopts New Solitary Confinement Standards, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Supreme Court Overturns Colorado’s Attempt to Keep Funds from Exonerated Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Out of Prison, Uncovered, by Beth Schwartzapfel
- Fourth Circuit: IFRP Challenges Cognizable Under § 2241
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Healthcare and Handcuffs: BOP Assigns Medical Staff to Security Positions, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Nevada DOC Moves to End Discrimination against HIV-positive and Disabled Prisoners, July 28, 2017
- Policing for Profit: Law Enforcement Agencies Abuse Civil Asset Forfeiture, July 28, 2017
- Suicide at Texas Jail Results in Firings, Lawsuit, Investigation and Legislation, July 28, 2017
- Ohio Closes Prison Farms, Auctions Equipment, Plans to Sell Farmland, July 28, 2017
- Wrongfully Arrested for Murder, Prisoner Dies in California Jail; Corizon Loses Contract , June 30, 2017
- Two Non-profit Foundations Provide Funding, Leadership for Criminal Justice Reform, June 30, 2017
- Texas Judges Jail Defendants too Poor to Pay Fines, Debts, June 30, 2017
- Local Sex Offender Residency Restrictions Challenged in Texas, June 30, 2017
- New York: Disciplinary Segregation Settlement Finalized; $1.6 Million in Attorney Fees Awarded, June 30, 2017
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Suit Over Denial of Ramadan Meals; $3,600 Settlement, June 30, 2017
More from these topics:
- Tennessee Sheriff Pleads Guilty to Sexual Misconduct, Excessive Force Charges, July 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Ninth Circuit: Warden Who Failed to Protect Female Prisoners from Sexual Assault Not Immune from Suit, July 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Eighth Amendment, Qualified Immunity, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- At Lowell, sex, death and a probe riddled with questions, July 12, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corizon, Guard Misconduct, Medication, Forcible Treatment, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Control Units.
- Bartered sex, corruption and cover-ups behind bars in nation’s largest women’s prison, July 12, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Staff-Prisoner Harassment, Guard Misconduct.
- Videos Show the Dark Side of Shadow Mountain Youth Psych Facility, April 18, 2017. Contractor Misconduct, Guard Misconduct, Private Contractors, Staffing, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Mental Health, Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Staff Training.
- Pennsylvania Sees Rash of Corrupt Guards, April 5, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Gay/Lesbian.
- Lawsuit Claims Ohio Jail Guards Raped, Tortured Female Prisoner, April 3, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Medication, Seizures.
- Female Inmates and Sexual Assault, March 28, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Eighth Amendment, PLRA, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- A Boy Among Men, March 28, 2017. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Prison Rape Elimination Act, Failure to Protect (Juveniles).
- Youths Still Dying in Florida Juvenile Detention Centers from Abuse, Neglect, March 9, 2017. Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Juvenile Prisons.