by Derek Gilna
In May 2017, the City of New York agreed to pay $1.2 million to two female prisoners to resolve claims of rape and sexual assault by a male guard at the city’s Rose M. Singer facility on Rikers Island. Rikers, one of the nation’s largest jail ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Five Years after Implementation, PREA Standards Remain Inadequate, by Derek Gilna
- Cook County Jail Locked Down on Mother’s Day; Over 200 Workers Absent, by Monte McCoin
- Supreme Court Declines to Hear Case on Jail Booking Fees, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoners in Flint, Michigan Lied to About Water Crisis; Lawsuit Settles, by David Reutter
- Michigan Court Forced to End “Pay or Stay” Policy, by David Reutter
- Seventh Circuit Allows Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Claim to Proceed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Former Utah Jail Commander Pleads Guilty to Misuse of Public Money, by Monte McCoin
- Concern over Use of Prisoners to Clear Homeless Camps in Washington, Oregon, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Finding of Due Process Violations in Minnesota Civil Commitment Program, by Matthew Clarke
- Georgia Prison Contraband Investigation Nets 130 Arrests, Guilty Pleas, by David Reutter
- Missouri Has Difficulty Retaining Provider for Execution Drugs, by David Reutter
- $6.5 Million to Family of Wash. Diabetic Prisoner Who Died
- Wife of President Trump’s Ethics Attorney Caught Having Sex with Prisoner, by Monte McCoin
- Lawsuit Over 22 Years of Continuous Segregation Reinstated by Second Circuit, by Lonnie Burton
- $100,000 Damages Award in Jail Slip-and-Fall Upheld, by Matthew Clarke
- $250,000 Paid By Virginia Jail to Settle Deaf Prisoner Suit
- Obama Publishes Commentary on Criminal Justice Reform in Harvard Law Review, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fourth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Prisoner’s Civil Rights Claim, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Prison Guard Freed on Sex Charge, Victim Detained as Material Witness
- $1.2 Million to Settle with Rikers Island Rape Victims, by Derek Gilna
- Former Sheriff Arpaio Guilty of Criminal Contempt, Receives Presidential Pardon, by Joe Watson
- Nevada Supreme Court Holds Habeas Petition Not Mooted by End of Sentence
- Westboro Baptist Church Members Continue to Work in Corrections, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado Narrowly Rejects Ballot Measure to End Slavery as Punishment for Crime, by Matthew Clarke
- Community Funds, Federal Legislation Challenging Bail System from Different Angles, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Alleges Four Oregon Prisons Served Food “Not for Human Consumption”, by Monte McCoin
- DOJ Applauds Pennsylvania’s Commitment to Treatment for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by David Reutter
- The Elusive Dream: Closing Rikers Island, by David Reutter, Matthew Clarke
- Washington Supreme Court Reverses Prisoner’s Parental Termination Order, by Lonnie Burton
- Wiccan Prisoner Wins Injunction to Wear Medallion; Case Settles on Remand, by David Reutter
- Michigan Sheriff Settles PLN Censorship Suit for $295,000, by Derek Gilna
- Alabama DOC: Partial Settlement on ADA, Mental Health Claims; $1 Million in Attorney Fees Awarded, by David Reutter
- Florida Prisoners Denied Hernia Surgery Reach $2.1 Million Settlement, by David Reutter
- Arrested Texas Jail Nurse Refused to Test Blood Sugar of Prisoner Who Died, by Matthew Clarke
- Tenth Circuit Holds Jail Guard May be Liable for Prisoner-on-Prisoner Assault
- President of New York City Guards’ Union Faces Corruption Charges, by David Reutter
- Federal Halfway House Closures Threaten to Extend Prison Time, Delay Reentry, by Derek Gilna
- Reform of Florida’s Criminal Justice Laws Urged, by David Reutter
- Climate Refugees in Toxic Immigrant Jails Are Victims of Environmental Racism, by Candice Bernd
- Fatal Tasering at North Carolina Jail Results in $350,000 Settlement, Investigation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- $285,000 Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit Against Ohio Jail
- Global Tel*Link Fails to Derail Prison Phone Suit but Dodges Class Certification, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
More from Derek Gilna:
- Use of Sentencing Mitigation Videos Grows, Feb. 16, 2018
- Curb False Confessions: Provide Suspects With Lawyers, Feb. 16, 2018
- California Legalization of Marijuana Allows Convicted to Petition, Feb. 16, 2018
- $5.5 Million Verdict Against LAPD for Taser Death of Former Marine, Feb. 16, 2018
- $9.5M Settlement Approved by Chicago City Council for Yet Another Excessive Force Case, Feb. 16, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, Jan. 31, 2018
- Report Critical of BOP’s Solitary Confinement Policy for Mentally Ill Prisoners, Jan. 31, 2018
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, Jan. 31, 2018
- Texas: Federal Court Grants Injunction Against Discriminatory Money Bail System, Jan. 31, 2018
- New FAMM Report Offers Solutions for BOP Recidivism, Jan. 31, 2018
More from these topics:
- Dallas Teens Have Sex in Jail, Feb. 8, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Overcrowding, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- $750,000 Settlement After Opioid Withdrawal Death in Kentucky Jail, Feb. 8, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Failure to Treat, Jail Specific.
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Jail Specific, Immigration.
- Total Cost of Pretrial Detention Estimated at up to $140 Billion Annually, Jan. 31, 2018. Prison Reform, Cost of Prison Systems, Jail Specific.
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Addresses Jail Populations, Jan. 31, 2018. Prison Reform, Jail Specific.
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Gender Discrimination -- Women, OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- $375,000 Settlement for Ohio Woman Pepper Sprayed in Jail's Restraint Chair, Jan. 16, 2018. Jail Specific, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints.
- $160,000 Settles New Jersey Jail Class Action Suit, Jan. 8, 2018. Jail Specific, Class Certification.
- Assaultive Behavior by Michigan Prisoners Subject to Aggressive Prosecution, Jan. 8, 2018. Sexual Assault, Retaliation.