by Derek Gilna
In May 2017, the City of New York agreed to pay $1.2 million to two female prisoners to resolve claims of rape and sexual assault by a male guard at the city’s Rose M. Singer facility on Rikers Island. Rikers, one of the nation’s largest jail ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Five Years after Implementation, PREA Standards Remain Inadequate, by Derek Gilna
- Cook County Jail Locked Down on Mother’s Day; Over 200 Workers Absent, by Monte McCoin
- Supreme Court Declines to Hear Case on Jail Booking Fees, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoners in Flint, Michigan Lied to About Water Crisis; Lawsuit Settles, by David Reutter
- Michigan Court Forced to End “Pay or Stay” Policy, by David Reutter
- Seventh Circuit Allows Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Claim to Proceed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Former Utah Jail Commander Pleads Guilty to Misuse of Public Money, by Monte McCoin
- Concern over Use of Prisoners to Clear Homeless Camps in Washington, Oregon, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Finding of Due Process Violations in Minnesota Civil Commitment Program, by Matthew Clarke
- Georgia Prison Contraband Investigation Nets 130 Arrests, Guilty Pleas, by David Reutter
- Missouri Has Difficulty Retaining Provider for Execution Drugs, by David Reutter
- $6.5 Million to Family of Wash. Diabetic Prisoner Who Died
- Wife of President Trump’s Ethics Attorney Caught Having Sex with Prisoner, by Monte McCoin
- Lawsuit Over 22 Years of Continuous Segregation Reinstated by Second Circuit, by Lonnie Burton
- $100,000 Damages Award in Jail Slip-and-Fall Upheld, by Matthew Clarke
- $250,000 Paid By Virginia Jail to Settle Deaf Prisoner Suit
- Obama Publishes Commentary on Criminal Justice Reform in Harvard Law Review, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fourth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Prisoner’s Civil Rights Claim, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Prison Guard Freed on Sex Charge, Victim Detained as Material Witness
- $1.2 Million to Settle with Rikers Island Rape Victims, by Derek Gilna
- Former Sheriff Arpaio Guilty of Criminal Contempt, Receives Presidential Pardon, by Joe Watson
- Nevada Supreme Court Holds Habeas Petition Not Mooted by End of Sentence
- Westboro Baptist Church Members Continue to Work in Corrections, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado Narrowly Rejects Ballot Measure to End Slavery as Punishment for Crime, by Matthew Clarke
- Community Funds, Federal Legislation Challenging Bail System from Different Angles, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Alleges Four Oregon Prisons Served Food “Not for Human Consumption”, by Monte McCoin
- DOJ Applauds Pennsylvania’s Commitment to Treatment for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by David Reutter
- The Elusive Dream: Closing Rikers Island, by David Reutter, Matthew Clarke
- Washington Supreme Court Reverses Prisoner’s Parental Termination Order, by Lonnie Burton
- Wiccan Prisoner Wins Injunction to Wear Medallion; Case Settles on Remand, by David Reutter
- Michigan Sheriff Settles PLN Censorship Suit for $295,000, by Derek Gilna
- Alabama DOC: Partial Settlement on ADA, Mental Health Claims; $1 Million in Attorney Fees Awarded, by David Reutter
- Florida Prisoners Denied Hernia Surgery Reach $2.1 Million Settlement, by David Reutter
- Arrested Texas Jail Nurse Refused to Test Blood Sugar of Prisoner Who Died, by Matthew Clarke
- Tenth Circuit Holds Jail Guard May be Liable for Prisoner-on-Prisoner Assault
- President of New York City Guards’ Union Faces Corruption Charges, by David Reutter
- Federal Halfway House Closures Threaten to Extend Prison Time, Delay Reentry, by Derek Gilna
- Reform of Florida’s Criminal Justice Laws Urged, by David Reutter
- Climate Refugees in Toxic Immigrant Jails Are Victims of Environmental Racism, by Candice Bernd
- Fatal Tasering at North Carolina Jail Results in $350,000 Settlement, Investigation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- $285,000 Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit Against Ohio Jail
- Global Tel*Link Fails to Derail Prison Phone Suit but Dodges Class Certification, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
More from Derek Gilna:
- Study: Unionized Police? Increased Misconduct, May 22, 2018
- Washington High Court Issues New Rule Making Immigration Status Inadmissible, May 21, 2018
- Captured: ‘Golden State Killer’ Wanted for 12 Murders and 50 Rapes Turns Out To Be Former Sacramento-Area Cop, May 15, 2018
- New York Times Investigation Spotlights NYPD Practice of ‘Testilying’, May 15, 2018
- Wrongful Death Case Against New York Jail Settles for $101,500, May 9, 2018
- Pro Se Rhode Island Prisoner Wins First Amendment Settlement, May 8, 2018
- Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Oklahoma Sheriffs – All of Them, May 8, 2018
- The “Qualified Immunity” Doctrine Needs to be Reexamined, May 8, 2018
- Former Pennsylvania Guards Settle FMLA Lawsuits for $110,000, May 7, 2018
- New York Law Gives Reformed Offenders an Opportunity to Seal Convictions, May 7, 2018
More from these topics:
- Hudson County Settles for $407,500 over Wrongful Death of New Jersey Inmate, May 18, 2018. Medical, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- Texas Jail Administrator Receives $115,000 Settlement for Wrongful Termination, May 17, 2018. Medical, Cancer, Jail Specific, Americans with Disabilities Act, Disabled Employees.
- Death of California Homeless Man in Police Custody Yields $4.675 Million to Family, May 17, 2018. Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- California: Defendants’ Repeated Discovery Obstruction Sanctioned in Guard Sex Abuse Case, May 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, DOC/BOP misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Discovery.
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018. Sexual Assault, Crime Labs, Juveniles.
- Tortured and Wrongly Held at Guantánamo for 14 Years, Abdul Zahir Now Has Freedom, but No Justice, April 12, 2018. Sexual Assault, Conditions of Confinement, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints, Political Prisoners (International).
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- Ashes to Ashes: In Illinois, the Erasure of Incarcerated People Continues After Death, April 2, 2018. Jail Specific.
- The sex offender registry: It’s not what you think, March 29, 2018. Sexual Assault, Statistics/Trends.
- $5 Million Settlement After Mentally Ill Prisoner Dies in Restraint, March 6, 2018. Jail Specific, Restraints, Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).