In December 2016, a $250,000 settlement was reached in a lawsuit brought by a deaf prisoner who was effectively unable to communicate during a six-week stay at a jail in Arlington County, Virginia. The suit pushed the sheriff’s office to implement new procedures to accommodate prisoners with disabilities.
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Five Years after Implementation, PREA Standards Remain Inadequate, by Derek Gilna
- Cook County Jail Locked Down on Mother’s Day; Over 200 Workers Absent, by Monte McCoin
- Supreme Court Declines to Hear Case on Jail Booking Fees, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prisoners in Flint, Michigan Lied to About Water Crisis; Lawsuit Settles, by David Reutter
- Michigan Court Forced to End “Pay or Stay” Policy, by David Reutter
- Seventh Circuit Allows Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Claim to Proceed, by Christopher Zoukis
- Former Utah Jail Commander Pleads Guilty to Misuse of Public Money, by Monte McCoin
- Concern over Use of Prisoners to Clear Homeless Camps in Washington, Oregon, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Finding of Due Process Violations in Minnesota Civil Commitment Program, by Matthew Clarke
- Georgia Prison Contraband Investigation Nets 130 Arrests, Guilty Pleas, by David Reutter
- Missouri Has Difficulty Retaining Provider for Execution Drugs, by David Reutter
- $6.5 Million to Family of Wash. Diabetic Prisoner Who Died
- Wife of President Trump’s Ethics Attorney Caught Having Sex with Prisoner, by Monte McCoin
- Lawsuit Over 22 Years of Continuous Segregation Reinstated by Second Circuit, by Lonnie Burton
- $100,000 Damages Award in Jail Slip-and-Fall Upheld, by Matthew Clarke
- $250,000 Paid By Virginia Jail to Settle Deaf Prisoner Suit
- Obama Publishes Commentary on Criminal Justice Reform in Harvard Law Review, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fourth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Prisoner’s Civil Rights Claim, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon Prison Guard Freed on Sex Charge, Victim Detained as Material Witness
- $1.2 Million to Settle with Rikers Island Rape Victims, by Derek Gilna
- Former Sheriff Arpaio Guilty of Criminal Contempt, Receives Presidential Pardon, by Joe Watson
- Nevada Supreme Court Holds Habeas Petition Not Mooted by End of Sentence
- Westboro Baptist Church Members Continue to Work in Corrections, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado Narrowly Rejects Ballot Measure to End Slavery as Punishment for Crime, by Matthew Clarke
- Community Funds, Federal Legislation Challenging Bail System from Different Angles, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Alleges Four Oregon Prisons Served Food “Not for Human Consumption”, by Monte McCoin
- DOJ Applauds Pennsylvania’s Commitment to Treatment for Mentally Ill Prisoners, by David Reutter
- The Elusive Dream: Closing Rikers Island, by David Reutter, Matthew Clarke
- Washington Supreme Court Reverses Prisoner’s Parental Termination Order, by Lonnie Burton
- Wiccan Prisoner Wins Injunction to Wear Medallion; Case Settles on Remand, by David Reutter
- Michigan Sheriff Settles PLN Censorship Suit for $295,000, by Derek Gilna
- Alabama DOC: Partial Settlement on ADA, Mental Health Claims; $1 Million in Attorney Fees Awarded, by David Reutter
- Florida Prisoners Denied Hernia Surgery Reach $2.1 Million Settlement, by David Reutter
- Arrested Texas Jail Nurse Refused to Test Blood Sugar of Prisoner Who Died, by Matthew Clarke
- Tenth Circuit Holds Jail Guard May be Liable for Prisoner-on-Prisoner Assault
- President of New York City Guards’ Union Faces Corruption Charges, by David Reutter
- Federal Halfway House Closures Threaten to Extend Prison Time, Delay Reentry, by Derek Gilna
- Reform of Florida’s Criminal Justice Laws Urged, by David Reutter
- Climate Refugees in Toxic Immigrant Jails Are Victims of Environmental Racism, by Candice Bernd
- Fatal Tasering at North Carolina Jail Results in $350,000 Settlement, Investigation
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- $285,000 Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit Against Ohio Jail
- Global Tel*Link Fails to Derail Prison Phone Suit but Dodges Class Certification, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirms dismissal of Nebraska prisoner’s jail rape claim, Sept. 10, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Jail Specific.
- $380,000 settlement in Cook County Jail abuse case, Sept. 5, 2018. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Jail Misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Jail Specific, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- Minnesota Prisoner Wins Reprieve from Jail Debt in Federal Court, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Specific, Money/Property, Bond Fees, Booking Fees.
- $330,000 Awarded to Brooklyn Woman and Minor Nephew over False Arrest and Two Years of Malicious Prosecution, July 27, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches, Jail Specific, Mental Health, False Arrest.
- Federal Jury Awards Texas Man $169,128 in Excessive Force Claim Against Sheriff’s Deputy, July 27, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific, Excessive Force, Guards/Staff.
- Father of Man Strangled While in Missouri Jail Accepts Settlement, July 27, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- $190,000 for Man Falsely Arrested and Maliciously Prosecuted by NYPD, July 26, 2018. Strip Searches, Jail Specific, False Arrest.
- Kentucky Jail Guard Receives $60,000 Jury Award in Sexual Harassment Suit, July 26, 2018. Staff-Staff Harassment, Jail Specific.
- Mother of Utah Prisoner Who Starved to Death in County Jail Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Food, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).