A Michigan federal jury found a guard at the Gus Harrison Correctional Facility (GHCF) had assaulted a prisoner and tried to cover it up, and awarded $16,500 in damages.
Ali Muthana was being served a meal in his confinement cell at GHCF, which houses mentally ill prisoners, on March ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $550,000 Settlement for Detainee Rendered Quadriplegic by Guard’s Excessive Force
- Missouri Sheriff Who Vowed to Clean Up Crime Faces Criminal Charges, Lawsuits, by R. Bailey
- Florida Private Prisons Seek $4 Million for Employee Raises, by David Reutter
- New York Federal District Court Allows Prisoner’s § 1983 Action to Proceed, by Derek Gilna
- Pro Se Prisoner Demonstrated Need for Recruitment of Counsel
- Report: Homelessness and Housing Insecurity are Hurdles for Former Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Garnishment Action in Federal Court to Collect Jury Award was Improper
- Federal Prisons Use Nurses and Cooks as Guards While Officials Push to Fill Private Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Michigan Prisoner Awarded $16,500 for Guard’s Assault and Cover-up
- Florida: Suit Continues Against CoreCivic for Rape of Developmentally Disabled Child, by Monte McCoin
- Brookings Institute Study Finds Direct Connection between Poverty and Crime Rates, by Derek Gilna
- Family of Wrongfully Convicted Missouri Prisoner Receives $14 Million, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Favor of Jail Where Three Detainees Died, by Christopher Zoukis
- Sentenced to Prison Slavery, by Kevin Bliss
- Experts Call for Improvements in Prisoner Dental Care, by Christopher Zoukis
- Amid Scandal, Missouri Governor Issues Commutations and Pardons, Passes New Laws Before Resigning, by Dale Chappell
- Land Swap Seeks to Reinstate Construction of New Jail in Detroit
- Correct Care Solutions Redux: Poor Medical Care Leads to More Deaths, Lawsuits, by Edward Lyon
- BJS Report Finds Prisoner Sexual Abuse Allegations Continue to Rise, by Kevin Bliss
- Dismissal of Pro Se Prisoner’s Sexual Assault, Excessive Force Case Reversed, by Kevin Bliss
- Prison Systems Solve Bed Space Problems by Using Out-of-State Facilities, by Christopher Zoukis
- Long-Term Segregation Can Establish Imminent Danger of Serious Physical Injury for PLRA Purposes, by Christopher Zoukis
- Wealthy? Upgrade to a First Class Criminal Justice Experience!, by Christopher Zoukis
- Mentally Ill Wisconsin Prisoners Held in Solitary Improperly Reclassified, by Edward Lyon
- New York City Council Passes Ordinance to Make All Jail Phone Calls Free, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Judge Orders Washington Prison Officials to Properly Feed Ramadan Participants, by Christopher Zoukis
- Under “In-House Parole,” New Mexico Prisoners Remain in Prison, by Edward Lyon
- Former Prisoner, Jailhouse Lawyer Mujahid Farid Has Died, by Laura Whitehorn
- Military-Style Attack on Brazilian Prison Kills 20 Prisoners, One Guard, by Monte McCoin
- Report on Capital Punishment in Pennsylvania Released; Moratorium Continues, by Kevin Bliss
- Suicides Increasing in Massachusetts Prisons and Jails
- Ohio Prison Officials Announce Measures to Prevent Another Transport Bus Murder, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana’s Rejection of $3.5 Million Prison Tracking Software to be Reconsidered, by R. Bailey
- $17 Million Payout for Yet Another Wrongful Conviction in Chicago, by Christopher Zoukis
- Alabama Prisoner in Failed Execution Attempt will Not Face Another, by David Reutter
- Multiple Charges, Lawsuits Filed Against Lackawanna Prison Staff for Sexual Abuse, by Kevin Bliss
- Tenth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Gang Member’s Failure-to-Protect Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Indiana Prisoner Obtains $85,000 Settlement After Being Beaten and Tased, by Edward Lyon
- Violent Incidents Follow Settlement to End Dangerous Conditions at Alabama Prison
- Ex-Washington Prison Superintendent Under Investigation for Misuse of Funds, by Dale Chappell
- Angola Closes its Notorious Camp J, “A Microcosm of a Lot of Things That are Wrong”, by Grace Toohey
- New Jersey Federal Court Certifies Class-Action Suit Against Global*Tel Link, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit by Washington AG Against GEO Group for Wage Violations Proceeds, Granted Class-Action Status, by Christopher Zoukis
- Defy Ventures Founder Steps Down Amid Accusations of Misconduct, by Christopher Zoukis
- Former Jailhouse Lawyer Bobby Battle Dies at Age 80, by Monte McCoin
- Florida District Court Allows Suit Against Prisoner Transport Companies to Proceed, by Dale Chappell
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida Detainee Died from Deliberate Indifference to Septic Shock, Lawsuit Charges
- PLN Files Cert Petition with Supreme Court Over Florida DOC Censorship, by Steve Horn
- News in Brief
- Censorship in Prisons and Jails: A War on the Written Word, by Christopher Zoukis
More from these topics:
- Kentucky Jailer Gets New Trial in Beating of Pretrial Detainee, March 5, 2019. Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- LA County Jail Guards’ Conviction for Assaulting Visitor Upheld, March 5, 2019. Guard Misconduct.
- New York City Pays $280,000 to Settle Suit after Visitor Assaulted by Jail Guards, Feb. 4, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Guard Misconduct, Gay/Lesbian, Visiting.
- Ohio Prisoner Recovers $2,025 for Leg Injury Caused by Guard’s Pepper Ball, Feb. 4, 2019. Injury -- Misc., Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Shootings.
- Illinois Federal Jury Awards Prisoner $252,100 for Beating and Denial of Medical Care, Jan. 8, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Retaliatory Segregation, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- Florida Prisoner’s Suit Proceeds Against Guards for Use of Force, Retaliation, Jan. 8, 2019. Retaliation for Filing Grievances, Eighth Amendment, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, First Amendment, rights, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Colorado County Pays $800,000 for Latest Excessive Force Settlement, Jan. 8, 2019. Medical, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- Seventh Circuit: Illinois Prisoner Entitled to Retrial After Appointment of Counsel Denied, Jan. 8, 2019. Guard Misconduct, Eighth Amendment, Appointment of Counsel, Trials.
- Guards Face Federal Charges for Smuggling Drugs, Cell Phones Into Idaho Prisons, Jan. 8, 2019. Misconduct/Corruption, Guard Misconduct, Guards/Staff, FBI.
- $550,000 Settlement for Detainee Rendered Quadriplegic by Guard’s Excessive Force, Jan. 8, 2019. Skeletal Injury, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.