by Ed Lyon
Brandon Garwood was incarcerated at a jail in Cass County, Indiana in October 2015. He was being held on a charge of endangering another person while driving drunk.
On October 2, 2015, video cameras showed Garwood peacefully laying on his concrete slab bed when five jailers entered ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $550,000 Settlement for Detainee Rendered Quadriplegic by Guard’s Excessive Force
- Missouri Sheriff Who Vowed to Clean Up Crime Faces Criminal Charges, Lawsuits, by R. Bailey
- Florida Private Prisons Seek $4 Million for Employee Raises, by David Reutter
- New York Federal District Court Allows Prisoner’s § 1983 Action to Proceed, by Derek Gilna
- Pro Se Prisoner Demonstrated Need for Recruitment of Counsel
- Report: Homelessness and Housing Insecurity are Hurdles for Former Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Garnishment Action in Federal Court to Collect Jury Award was Improper
- Federal Prisons Use Nurses and Cooks as Guards While Officials Push to Fill Private Prisons, by Christopher Zoukis
- Michigan Prisoner Awarded $16,500 for Guard’s Assault and Cover-up
- Florida: Suit Continues Against CoreCivic for Rape of Developmentally Disabled Child, by Monte McCoin
- Brookings Institute Study Finds Direct Connection between Poverty and Crime Rates, by Derek Gilna
- Family of Wrongfully Convicted Missouri Prisoner Receives $14 Million, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Favor of Jail Where Three Detainees Died, by Christopher Zoukis
- Sentenced to Prison Slavery, by Kevin Bliss
- Experts Call for Improvements in Prisoner Dental Care, by Christopher Zoukis
- Amid Scandal, Missouri Governor Issues Commutations and Pardons, Passes New Laws Before Resigning, by Dale Chappell
- Land Swap Seeks to Reinstate Construction of New Jail in Detroit
- Correct Care Solutions Redux: Poor Medical Care Leads to More Deaths, Lawsuits, by Edward Lyon
- BJS Report Finds Prisoner Sexual Abuse Allegations Continue to Rise, by Kevin Bliss
- Dismissal of Pro Se Prisoner’s Sexual Assault, Excessive Force Case Reversed, by Kevin Bliss
- Prison Systems Solve Bed Space Problems by Using Out-of-State Facilities, by Christopher Zoukis
- Long-Term Segregation Can Establish Imminent Danger of Serious Physical Injury for PLRA Purposes, by Christopher Zoukis
- Wealthy? Upgrade to a First Class Criminal Justice Experience!, by Christopher Zoukis
- Mentally Ill Wisconsin Prisoners Held in Solitary Improperly Reclassified, by Edward Lyon
- New York City Council Passes Ordinance to Make All Jail Phone Calls Free, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Judge Orders Washington Prison Officials to Properly Feed Ramadan Participants, by Christopher Zoukis
- Under “In-House Parole,” New Mexico Prisoners Remain in Prison, by Edward Lyon
- Former Prisoner, Jailhouse Lawyer Mujahid Farid Has Died, by Laura Whitehorn
- Military-Style Attack on Brazilian Prison Kills 20 Prisoners, One Guard, by Monte McCoin
- Report on Capital Punishment in Pennsylvania Released; Moratorium Continues, by Kevin Bliss
- Suicides Increasing in Massachusetts Prisons and Jails
- Ohio Prison Officials Announce Measures to Prevent Another Transport Bus Murder, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana’s Rejection of $3.5 Million Prison Tracking Software to be Reconsidered, by R. Bailey
- $17 Million Payout for Yet Another Wrongful Conviction in Chicago, by Christopher Zoukis
- Alabama Prisoner in Failed Execution Attempt will Not Face Another, by David Reutter
- Multiple Charges, Lawsuits Filed Against Lackawanna Prison Staff for Sexual Abuse, by Kevin Bliss
- Tenth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Gang Member’s Failure-to-Protect Lawsuit, by Matthew Clarke
- Indiana Prisoner Obtains $85,000 Settlement After Being Beaten and Tased, by Edward Lyon
- Violent Incidents Follow Settlement to End Dangerous Conditions at Alabama Prison
- Ex-Washington Prison Superintendent Under Investigation for Misuse of Funds, by Dale Chappell
- Angola Closes its Notorious Camp J, “A Microcosm of a Lot of Things That are Wrong”, by Grace Toohey
- New Jersey Federal Court Certifies Class-Action Suit Against Global*Tel Link, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit by Washington AG Against GEO Group for Wage Violations Proceeds, Granted Class-Action Status, by Christopher Zoukis
- Defy Ventures Founder Steps Down Amid Accusations of Misconduct, by Christopher Zoukis
- Former Jailhouse Lawyer Bobby Battle Dies at Age 80, by Monte McCoin
- Florida District Court Allows Suit Against Prisoner Transport Companies to Proceed, by Dale Chappell
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida Detainee Died from Deliberate Indifference to Septic Shock, Lawsuit Charges
- PLN Files Cert Petition with Supreme Court Over Florida DOC Censorship, by Steve Horn
- News in Brief
- Censorship in Prisons and Jails: A War on the Written Word, by Christopher Zoukis
More from Edward Lyon:
- Jurors Showing More and More Savvy Toward Trial Evidence, Feb. 14, 2019
- ‘Ban the Box’ Movement Expands in New Direction, Feb. 14, 2019
- Forensic Entomology Helps Nevada Murder Convictee Get Exonerated After 17 Years in Prison, Feb. 14, 2019
- Sexual Assaults and Harassment by Members of Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Costing Taxpayers Millions, Feb. 14, 2019
- Report: Wisconsin Crime Labs Face Multitude of Problems, Feb. 14, 2019
- Illinois Calculates the High Costs of Recidivism, Feb. 5, 2019
- Texas Prison Air Conditioning Costs Much Lower than Expected, Feb. 5, 2019
- Arkansas Prisoner Prevails on Grievance Exhaustion Issue, Feb. 5, 2019
- Life-Sentenced Missouri Prisoner Has No Right to Release Date, Feb. 4, 2019
- New York City Pays $280,000 to Settle Suit after Visitor Assaulted by Jail Guards, Feb. 4, 2019
More from these topics:
- $175,000 Settlement to Public Protester with Profanity-laced Sign Tased by Police Officer, Feb. 14, 2019. Protests, Stun Guns/Tasers, Settlements, First Amendment, rights, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Taser Misuse at California Jail Costs County $1.15 Million, Feb. 5, 2019. Stun Guns/Tasers, Settlements.
- $1 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Texas Jail Prisoner’s Death, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $10 Million Award for Wrongly Jailed Philadelphia Man, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Imprisonment.
- Three Wrongfully Convicted Ohio Prisoners Receive $19.5 Million, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Conviction.
- Illinois DOC Settles Lawsuit Filed by Deaf, Hard of Hearing Prisoners, Feb. 5, 2019. Disabled Prisoners, Hearing, Settlements, Americans with Disabilities Act.
- California: $1 Million Settlement in Suit Over Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner’s Suicide, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Suicides.
- $1.6 Million Settlement for Missouri Prison Guard Subjected to Sexual Harassment, Feb. 4, 2019. Sexual Harassment, Staff-Staff Harassment, Settlements.
- Connecticut DOC Settles Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawsuit for $1.3 Million, Feb. 4, 2019. Medical, Cancer, Misdiagnosis, Settlements.
- Ohio Prisoner Recovers $2,025 for Leg Injury Caused by Guard’s Pepper Ball, Feb. 4, 2019. Injury -- Misc., Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Shootings.