by Matthew Clarke
In June 2017, the Nevada Department of Corrections (DOC) paid $93,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by the parents and wife of a mentally-ill prisoner who committed suicide after his psychiatric needs were ignored by DOC staff.
John William Morse IV, 27, was a Nevada state ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Ex-Prisoner Awarded $150,000 after 'Savage Beating' Arranged by Guards, by Dale Chappell
- Fourth Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Lawsuit Over Denial of Rastafarian Services, by Matthew Clarke
- Wrongfully Convicted North Carolina Man Receives $4 Million
- Florida: DHS Snitch Busted for Trying to Sell Informant Status to Federal Prisoner, by Monte McCoin
- $550,000 Settlement for Georgia Prisoner Who Lost Leg Due to Improper Care
- BOP Director Resigns in Protest of Prison Reform Bill Clash, by Steve Horn
- Texas Prisons Stop Using Solitary Confinement as Punishment, but Thousands Kept in Administrative Segregation, by Matthew Clarke
- Fifth Circuit Holds Denial of Diabetic Diet During Lockdowns States Claim, by Matthew Clarke
- Confidential Settlement by Corizon in Arizona Prisoner’s Death from Untreated Flu
- Settlement Ends Forced Religious Classes in Tennessee Prison Industry Program
- Lawsuit Filed in Death of Kentucky Prisoner Held in Five-point Restraints, by Derek Gilna
- Michigan Jail Wrongful Death Suit Settles for $500,000, by Christopher Zoukis
- Troubles at California Jail Lead Sheriff to Forgo Reelection, by Derek Gilna
- Wisconsin Paid Former Prison Employees $105,000 to Settle Harassment Cases, by Derek Gilna
- Virginia Parole Board Changes “Three-Strikes” Interpretation, by David Reutter
- Nevada DOC Settles Suit Over Prisoner Suicide for $93,000, by Matthew Clarke
- California: Whistle-blowing Prison Employee Fired, Loses Lawsuit, by Edward Lyon
- $9 Million Settlement for Illinois Man Wrongly Imprisoned for Murder, by Matthew Clarke
- ACLU Reaches Confidential Settlement in CIA Detainee Torture Lawsuit, by Derek Gilna
- UK Court Blocks Extradition of Accused Hacker to United States, by Christopher Zoukis
- North Carolina Prisoner Exonerated for Rape Collects $9.5 Million Settlement
- Federal Court Nullifies Seizure of Prisoner’s Civil Rights Award
- “Egregious” Lack of Care by Jail’s Medical Contractor Leads to $1 Million Settlement, by Dale Chappell
- Indiana’s SOMM Program Declared Unconstitutional by Federal Court, by Dale Chappell
- Lawsuit on Behalf of Prisoners in 1993 Lucasville Riot Challenges Ban on Media Access, by Edward Lyon
- New Virginia Law Requires Oversight of Jail Deaths
- Oregon: Former Clackamas Deputy, Probation Officer Sentenced for Child Rape, by Monte McCoin
- Exonerated Prisoner Awarded $15 Million for Misconduct by Baltimore Police, by Derek Gilna
- Office of Inspector General Finds Abuses at ICE Detention Facilities, by Christopher Zoukis
- Civil Commitment Used to Imprison Drug Users in Massachusetts, by Edward Lyon
- Illinois: $380,000 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Other Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Tennessee Judge Ends Sentence Reductions for Prisoners Who Agree to Sterilization; Receives Reprimand, by David Reutter
- Retaliatory “Rough Ride” by Prison Guards States Eighth Amendment Claim, by David Reutter
- Second Circuit Reverses Judgment in Favor of U.S. Citizen Held 3½ Years in Immigration Detention, by Matthew Clarke
- The Magnificent Seven, by Mumia Abu-Jamal
- Settlement in Class-action ADA Suit Against Shasta County, California Jail, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Supreme Court: Prevailing Prisoners Must Pay 25 Percent of Damage Awards Towards Attorney Fees, by Derek Gilna
- A&E Reality Show Puts Undercover Volunteers, Hidden Cameras in Jails, by Dale Chappell
- State Criminal Justice Reform Efforts Gaining Traction, by Christopher Zoukis
- Census Bureau will Count Incarcerated People in the Wrong Place Once Again in 2020 Census, Continues to Distort Democracy
- John Legend Fights for Criminal Justice Reform, by Christopher Zoukis
- Supreme Court Reverses Ninth Circuit Ruling Banning Pretrial Full-body Shackling, by Derek Gilna
- Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Reports Inaccurate Jail Violence Data, by Edward Lyon
- “Less Lethal” Tasers Continue to Kill Dozens of Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- Iowa Settles Religious Discrimination Suit Brought by Incarcerated Odinist
- The Prison Phone Industry Has Quietly Become Even More of a Duopoly, by Steve Horn
- Idaho Prisoner Swallows Razor Blade to Force Corizon to Provide Medical Care, by Monte McCoin
- Pennsylvania: SCI Graterford’s Replacement Slated to Open
- $10,000 Federal Jury Award in Texas Prisoner’s Suit Over Retaliatory Beatings, by Matthew Clarke
- Lawsuits Filed, Renewed Push to Block Cell Phones After Deadly South Carolina Prison Riot, by Steve Horn
- Nebraska Supreme Court Reverses Injunction Against Ban on Prisoner-Prisoner Marriages
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Fifth Circuit Partially Reinstates Mississippi Prisoner’s Suit Over Inadequate Mental Health Care
- Human Rights Defense Center Files Censorship Suit Against Illinois DOC, by Derek Gilna
- News in Brief
- Litigation Heats Up Over Extreme Temperatures in Prisons, Jails, by Matthew Clarke, Christopher Zoukis
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Plainclothes Officers, 6 percent of NYC Police Force, Involved in 31 percent of Fatal Police Shootings, Sept. 19, 2018
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018
- New Rule Sparks Uprising at California Sex Offender Civil Commitment Facility, Sept. 3, 2018
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders, Sept. 3, 2018
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, Sept. 3, 2018
- Nevada County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $500,000, Sept. 3, 2018
- Fifth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Retaliation, Conspiracy Claims, Sept. 3, 2018
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, Sept. 3, 2018
- Dozens of Lawsuits Against Correct Care Solutions for Sometimes Fatal Denial of Medical Treatment, Sept. 3, 2018
More from these topics:
- Solitary Instead of Treatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner Costs New Mexico Jail $2 Million, Sept. 19, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Family of Deceased Colorado Prisoner Accepts Settlement for $5.3 Million, New Policies, Sept. 5, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Texas Settles Suit Over Rape and Beating of Transgender Prisoner, Sept. 4, 2018. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Settlements, Discrimination (Transgender), Failure to Protect (Transgender).
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018. LaSalle Management Company, Diabetes, Failure to Treat, Settlements.
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Nevada County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $500,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Los Angeles County Settles Lawsuit over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $1.7 Million, Sept. 3, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Settlements, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- Virginia Prisoner Defeats Summary Judgment, Settles Religious Diet Case, Sept. 3, 2018. Food, Summary Judgment, Settlements, RLUIPA, Religious Diet.
- HRDC Files Suit Against FDOC Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Starvation Death, Sept. 3, 2018. Food, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), PLN Litigation.