Loaded on July 1, 2020 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News July, 2020, page 55
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
Related legal case
Ullery v. Bradley
|Cite||F.3d. (10th Cir. 2020)|
|Level||Court of Appeals|
|Appeals Court Edition||F.3d|
More from this issue:
- Mississippi Prisons in Crisis, by David Reutter
- Rappers Jay-Z and Yo Gatti Help Prisoners in Mississippi Sue State Over “Inhumane and Unconstitutional Conditions”, by Bill Barton
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida’s Refusal to Release Prisoners During COVID-19 Resulting in Death Sentences, by David Reutter
- Prison Postcards: A Plea from Kentucky and Dispatches from Texas and Massachusetts, by Ken Silverstein
- Unlike U.S., Many Governments Releasing Large Numbers of Prisoners to Reduce Threat of COVID-19, by Matthew Clarke
- Status of the Pandemic Heading into Summer, by Michael D. Cohen, MD
- COVID-19 Pandemic Leads to Unrest in Prisons Around the Globe, by Matthew Clarke
- $1 Million Payout to Family of Man Who Died After Seizures in Montana Jail, by Kevin Bliss
- Florida Guards and Prisoners Fear COVID-19 Infection, by David Reutter
- COVID-19 and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, by Edward Lyon
- The Popularity of YouTube Prison Lifestyle Videos, by Anthony Accurso
- Sixth Circuit Vacates Preliminary Injunction Regarding Elkton Prisoner Class Action, by Derek Gilna
- Man Sentenced to One Year For Shoplifting Dies In Prison During Pandemic, by Anthony Accurso
- L.A. County Sheriff Says Prisoners Intentionally Tried to Catch Coronavirus to Get Released, by Dale Chappell
- Secret BOP Document Raises Risk Factors, Security Levels of Prisoners
- New York District Court Judge Denies Preliminary Injunction Against MCC Brooklyn, by Derek Gilna
- Who’s in SHU? A Survey of Solitary Confinement, by Terry A Kupers
- Reports: COVID-19 More Prevalent Than Reported in Nation’s Prisons and Jails, by Kevin Bliss
- Warden Reassigned From COVID-19 Inundated Louisiana Federal Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- Sale of Clandestine Surveillance Equipment Available to the Government and “Select Clients”, by Kevin Bliss
- ACLU Files Lawsuit Against CoreCivic Prison in Arizona over COVID-19 Failures, by Dale Chappell
- Michigan Prisoner’s Whistleblowing on GED Test Cheating Survives Summary Judgment, by David Reutter
- U.S. Supreme Court Overturns Texas Federal Judge’s Order Granting COVID-19 Relief to Elderly Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Alabama Should Release Elder Prisoners at Risk for COVID-19, by Edward Lyon
- $1.15 Million Settlement After South Carolina Prisoner’s Baby Born, Dies in Toilet, by Edward Lyon
- With Lives of Immigrant Detainees at Risk to COVID-19, Federal Judge Forces ICE’s Hand, by Christopher Zoukis
- 11th Circuit Rules Florida Prisoner Claiming Sexual Assault by Guard Can Proceed With Cruel and Unusual Punishment Claim, by David Reutter
- Lawsuit Over Conditions at BOP’s New York City Prison Continues as COVID-19 Spreads, by David Reutter
- Oklahoma Jail Sued for Mocking Prisoner as He Died, by Dale Chappell
- Interview: Alec Karakatsanis of the Civil Rights Corps on Money Bail and Debtors’ Prisons, by Ken Silverstein
- Orleans Parish Sheriff, Wellpath, Sued Over Louisiana Jail Prisoner’s Fatal Overdose, by Matthew Clarke
- Policy Change Leads to Gang Riot at Utah Prison, by Kevin Bliss
- Indiana Prisoner’s Suit Alleging Illegal Solitary Confinement Settled for $425,000, by Douglas Ankney
- Pennsylvania Judge Verdict: A Potential Death Sentence for Shoplifting Conviction, by Edward Lyon
- Maine Court Rules Prisoner’s Rights Violated by 22 Months in Segregation Without Meaningful Review but Awards No Damages, by Matthew Clarke
- New Jersey Jail Detainee Dies While Reportedly Begging for Water, by Douglas Ankney
- Report: JailCore Left Prisoners’ Data Unprotected Online, by Matthew Clarke
- NaphCare, Oregon Jail’s Private Healthcare Provider, Required to Disclose Records in Detox Death Suit, by Mark Wilson
- Federal Court Allows Lawsuit Over Sexual Assault of Female Connecticut Prisoner to Proceed, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit Announces New Rule on Eighth Amendment Violation Due to Sexual Assault by Montana Prison Staffer, by Dale Chappell
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in California Sexual Harassment Case, by David Reutter
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Dismissal of Challenge to Excessive Jail Phone Rates as Unconstitutional Tax, by Matthew Clarke
- Ex Post Facto Oregon Parole Postponement Claim Not Cognizable in §2254 Proceeding, by Mark Wilson
- High School Journalists Garner National Attention by Exposing School’s Use of Prisoner Labor, by Douglas Ankney
- Florida’s “Pay-to-Vote” System Struck Down, by David Reutter
- Sexual Assault of Colorado Prisoner Deemed Constitutional Violation; Her Case Can Proceed, by David Reutter
- Delaware Changes Prison Health Care Provider Due to Lawsuits Against Prior Contract Holder, by Jayson Hawkins
- Oregon Federal Court: 8th and 14th Amendments Mandate Miller Hearing, by Mark Wilson
- Texas Attorney General Finds GEO Documents Are Public Information, by Matthew Clarke
- Rhode Island Pays $380,419 to Settle Prison Guard Hiring Discrimination Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Prevails in Censorship Suit Against Kentucky Prison System, Wins $104,711, by David Reutter
- Former Prisoners Shut Out of Coronavirus Loans, by Jayson Hawkins
- Connecticut City Settles Suit Over Prisoner’s Suicide for $1,393,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Former CoreCivic Nurse in Colorado Claims Sex Discrimination, Retaliation After Filing Complaint About Poor Medical Care, by Dale Chappell
- COVID-19 Changes the Face of Education in the Nation’s Prison Systems, by Kevin Bliss
- Florida Prisoners Win 3.9 Million in Media Credits in MP3 Player Lawsuit, by David Reutter
- Prisoners Replace New Orleans Sanitation Workers Striking for Coronavirus Hazard Pay, by Kevin Bliss
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Hawaii Supreme Court: Trial Counsel Must Inform Defendant That Deportation ‘Will Be Required’ for Plea to Aggravated Felony, IAC for Advising Deportation ‘Almost Certain’, Sept. 15, 2021
- Study: Innocent Children Likely to Plead Guilty, Sept. 15, 2021
- Seventh Circuit: PLRA Mandates Dismissal for Deceit on IFP Application, Sept. 1, 2021
- Fourth Circuit: No Privacy Expectation Exists for Prisoner in Diagnosis and Treatment of HIV, Sept. 1, 2021
- $10 Million Settlement in Taser Death of Mentally Ill Man in South Carolina Jail, Sept. 1, 2021
- $750,000 Settlement in South Dakota Pretrial Detainee’s Overdose Death, Sept. 1, 2021
- Florida’s Brutal Prison System Will Continue to Subsidize Rural Economies, With No Meaningful Reform in Sight, Sept. 1, 2021
- Report Shows COVID-19 Reduced Life Expectancy for Prisoners in Florida, Same Likely for Other States, Sept. 1, 2021
- $350,000 Settlement for New Mexico Pretrial Detainee in ‘Failure to Protect’ Claim, Sept. 1, 2021
- Lawsuit Filed Over Rodent Infestation at New Mexico Prison, Sept. 1, 2021
More from these topics:
- Federal Judge Rejects BOP’s Attempts to Keep Videos of Force-Feeding Prisoners at ADX Secret, Aug. 1, 2021. Hunger Strikes, Excessive Force, Access to Media, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- PA Lawsuit Claims Allegheny County Jail Sergeant Brutalized Disabled Women, June 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Disabled Prisoners.
- Six Howard County, Indiana Jail Guards Fired Over Sexual Assaults and Harassment of Prisoners, June 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Staff-Prisoner Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Guard Commits Suicide Amidst Allegations in Federal Prison, June 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Suicides.
- NC Prisoner Survives Summary Judgment for Two Excessive Force Claims, June 1, 2021. Excessive Force, Summary Judgment.
- $300,000 Award for Illinois Prisoner in Sexual Assault Claim, March 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Prosecutors Drop Charges Against Florida Prisoner Accused of Assaulting Guard After Video Surfaces, March 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, False Charges (Disciplinary Hearings), Police State-Surveillance.
- New Allegations of Abuse and Sexual Assault at Edna Mahan Women’s Prison in New Jersey, March 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $1.1 Million Settlement in Kentucky Jail Sex Abuse Suit, Feb. 1, 2021. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Multi-Agency Task Forces Manipulate Jurisdiction to Avoid Liability, Jan. 15, 2021. Excessive Force, Immunity/Liability, Appeals/Appellate Jurisdiction, Jurisdiction - Manufactured.