Loaded on July 1, 2020 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News July, 2020, page 55
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
Related legal case
Ullery v. Bradley
|Cite||F.3d. (10th Cir. 2020)|
|Level||Court of Appeals|
|Appeals Court Edition||F.3d|
More from this issue:
- Mississippi Prisons in Crisis, by David Reutter
- Rappers Jay-Z and Yo Gatti Help Prisoners in Mississippi Sue State Over “Inhumane and Unconstitutional Conditions”, by Bill Barton
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida’s Refusal to Release Prisoners During COVID-19 Resulting in Death Sentences, by David Reutter
- Prison Postcards: A Plea from Kentucky and Dispatches from Texas and Massachusetts, by Ken Silverstein
- Unlike U.S., Many Governments Releasing Large Numbers of Prisoners to Reduce Threat of COVID-19, by Matthew Clarke
- Status of the Pandemic Heading into Summer, by Michael D. Cohen, MD
- COVID-19 Pandemic Leads to Unrest in Prisons Around the Globe, by Matthew Clarke
- $1 Million Payout to Family of Man Who Died After Seizures in Montana Jail, by Kevin Bliss
- Florida Guards and Prisoners Fear COVID-19 Infection, by David Reutter
- COVID-19 and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, by Edward Lyon
- The Popularity of YouTube Prison Lifestyle Videos, by Anthony Accurso
- Sixth Circuit Vacates Preliminary Injunction Regarding Elkton Prisoner Class Action, by Derek Gilna
- Man Sentenced to One Year For Shoplifting Dies In Prison During Pandemic, by Anthony Accurso
- L.A. County Sheriff Says Prisoners Intentionally Tried to Catch Coronavirus to Get Released, by Dale Chappell
- Secret BOP Document Raises Risk Factors, Security Levels of Prisoners
- New York District Court Judge Denies Preliminary Injunction Against MCC Brooklyn, by Derek Gilna
- Who’s in SHU? A Survey of Solitary Confinement, by Terry A Kupers
- Reports: COVID-19 More Prevalent Than Reported in Nation’s Prisons and Jails, by Kevin Bliss
- Warden Reassigned From COVID-19 Inundated Louisiana Federal Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- Sale of Clandestine Surveillance Equipment Available to the Government and “Select Clients”, by Kevin Bliss
- ACLU Files Lawsuit Against CoreCivic Prison in Arizona over COVID-19 Failures, by Dale Chappell
- Michigan Prisoner’s Whistleblowing on GED Test Cheating Survives Summary Judgment, by David Reutter
- U.S. Supreme Court Overturns Texas Federal Judge’s Order Granting COVID-19 Relief to Elderly Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Alabama Should Release Elder Prisoners at Risk for COVID-19, by Edward Lyon
- $1.15 Million Settlement After South Carolina Prisoner’s Baby Born, Dies in Toilet, by Edward Lyon
- With Lives of Immigrant Detainees at Risk to COVID-19, Federal Judge Forces ICE’s Hand, by Christopher Zoukis
- 11th Circuit Rules Florida Prisoner Claiming Sexual Assault by Guard Can Proceed With Cruel and Unusual Punishment Claim, by David Reutter
- Lawsuit Over Conditions at BOP’s New York City Prison Continues as COVID-19 Spreads, by David Reutter
- Oklahoma Jail Sued for Mocking Prisoner as He Died, by Dale Chappell
- Interview: Alec Karakatsanis of the Civil Rights Corps on Money Bail and Debtors’ Prisons, by Ken Silverstein
- Orleans Parish Sheriff, Wellpath, Sued Over Louisiana Jail Prisoner’s Fatal Overdose, by Matthew Clarke
- Policy Change Leads to Gang Riot at Utah Prison, by Kevin Bliss
- Indiana Prisoner’s Suit Alleging Illegal Solitary Confinement Settled for $425,000, by Douglas Ankney
- Pennsylvania Judge Verdict: A Potential Death Sentence for Shoplifting Conviction, by Edward Lyon
- Maine Court Rules Prisoner’s Rights Violated by 22 Months in Segregation Without Meaningful Review but Awards No Damages, by Matthew Clarke
- New Jersey Jail Detainee Dies While Reportedly Begging for Water, by Douglas Ankney
- Report: JailCore Left Prisoners’ Data Unprotected Online, by Matthew Clarke
- NaphCare, Oregon Jail’s Private Healthcare Provider, Required to Disclose Records in Detox Death Suit, by Mark Wilson
- Federal Court Allows Lawsuit Over Sexual Assault of Female Connecticut Prisoner to Proceed, by Matthew Clarke
- Ninth Circuit Announces New Rule on Eighth Amendment Violation Due to Sexual Assault by Montana Prison Staffer, by Dale Chappell
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in California Sexual Harassment Case, by David Reutter
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Dismissal of Challenge to Excessive Jail Phone Rates as Unconstitutional Tax, by Matthew Clarke
- Ex Post Facto Oregon Parole Postponement Claim Not Cognizable in §2254 Proceeding, by Mark Wilson
- High School Journalists Garner National Attention by Exposing School’s Use of Prisoner Labor, by Douglas Ankney
- Florida’s “Pay-to-Vote” System Struck Down, by David Reutter
- Sexual Assault of Colorado Prisoner Deemed Constitutional Violation; Her Case Can Proceed, by David Reutter
- Delaware Changes Prison Health Care Provider Due to Lawsuits Against Prior Contract Holder, by Jayson Hawkins
- Oregon Federal Court: 8th and 14th Amendments Mandate Miller Hearing, by Mark Wilson
- Texas Attorney General Finds GEO Documents Are Public Information, by Matthew Clarke
- Rhode Island Pays $380,419 to Settle Prison Guard Hiring Discrimination Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Prevails in Censorship Suit Against Kentucky Prison System, Wins $104,711, by David Reutter
- Former Prisoners Shut Out of Coronavirus Loans, by Jayson Hawkins
- Connecticut City Settles Suit Over Prisoner’s Suicide for $1,393,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Former CoreCivic Nurse in Colorado Claims Sex Discrimination, Retaliation After Filing Complaint About Poor Medical Care, by Dale Chappell
- COVID-19 Changes the Face of Education in the Nation’s Prison Systems, by Kevin Bliss
- Florida Prisoners Win 3.9 Million in Media Credits in MP3 Player Lawsuit, by David Reutter
- Prisoners Replace New Orleans Sanitation Workers Striking for Coronavirus Hazard Pay, by Kevin Bliss
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Seventh Circuit Holds Jail Guard Not Deliberately Indifferent to Illinois Prisoner’s Withdrawal from Smuggled Pills, June 27, 2022
- Seventh Circuit Vacates $8 Million Award to Illinois Prisoner Whose Cancer Metastasized Awaiting Wexford Doctors’ “Collegial Review”, June 27, 2022
- Book Review: The PLRA Handbook, June 15, 2022
- Eleventh Circuit Says Florida Prisoner Alleging Sexual Assault by Guard Need Not Also Prove Excessive Force and Malicious Intent, June 1, 2022
- Ninth Circuit Holds California Prison Officials Entitled to Legislative Immunity When Promulgating Rules, June 1, 2022
- $275,000 Settlement Reached After Detainee’s Attempted Suicide at Illinois Jail, June 1, 2022
- Georgia Sheriff Victor Hill Facing Criminal Trial for Using Restraint Chair to Punish Jail Detainees, June 1, 2022
- Eighth Circuit Holds Pornography Policy Unconstitutional as Applied to South Dakota Prisoner, but Denies Relief, June 1, 2022
- Federal Suit Challenging Iowa DOC Ban on Nude Images Moves Forward, Defendants Denied Summary Judgement on Due Process Claim, June 1, 2022
- $6,500 Settlement After Eleventh Circuit Affirms Denial of Qualified Immunity to Florida Jail Officials Who Repeatedly Opened Detainee’s Legal Mail, June 1, 2022
More from these topics:
- Eleventh Circuit Says Florida Prisoner Alleging Sexual Assault by Guard Need Not Also Prove Excessive Force and Malicious Intent, June 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Motive/Opportunity/Intent/Identity Evidence.
- $500,001 Settlement Against Guard Who Groped Delaware Prisoner With Long History of Lost Cases, June 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Be “Good Bitches”: New Mexico Prisoners Sue Over Sexually Degrading Abuse, May 16, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Guard Accused of Organizing Prisoner “Sex Shows” at Tennessee Jail, May 9, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Fifth BOP Staffer Arrested in “Rape Club” at California Federal Prison, May 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct.
- Teen Who Murdered Out of Jealousy Killed in Exercise Yard of Northern California Prison, March 7, 2022. Failure to Protect (General), Excessive Force, Juvenile Offenses/Offenders.
- “The Worst Prison in New York State”, March 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Conditions of Confinement.
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Illinois Prisoner’s Suit Over ‘Orange Crush’ Shakedown, March 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Strip Searches, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $1 Million Default Judgement for Michigan Jail Prisoner Against Health Care Provider in Sexual Assault, Feb. 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- California Federal Prison Warden Charged with Sexually Abusing Prisoner, Jan. 1, 2022. Staff-Prisoner Assault, DOC/BOP misconduct.