Skip navigation
× You have 2 more free articles available this month. Subscribe today.

MANCI: The Aftermath

By John Perotti

In June, 1992, MANCI guard Thomas Davis was stabbed in the back shoulder. Prisoner Roy Slider was accused of the stabbing. Davis died at a Mansfield hospital the next day. This began a series of retaliatory transfers and total lockdown of the prison for one month and semi restricted movement lasting until February, 1993. The guards' union demanded a continuous lockdown but were pacified when the security of the prison was changed from max-close to close and over 300 max prisoners sent to the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility (SOCF) in Lucasville, Ohio.

The prisoners transferred immediately after Davis died were placed in Administrative Control (AC) at the SOCF. An internal investigation absolved all of them of any involvement in the death of Davis. SOCF warden, Art Tate, apologized to the men, released them from AC and told them they would return to MANCI within 30 days, as their former security status was reinstated.

As of this date none of the prisoners have been returned to MANCI. One of the prisoners, Jay Hill, is a co-plaintiff in our suit challenging several conditions as well as retaliation. He was transferred to SOCF just one day after a telephone status conference with Judge Bell, Warden Baker and the state attorney where he told all parties the suit would be dismissed if I were returned to general population. Hill is one of the only medium security prisoners being held at SOCF. Everytime he is recommended for transfer, central office overrides the transfer denying it. Of course, prisoncrats would deny that his transfer and continued overriding of transfer recommendations are retaliation for our suit, as well as my 18 month confinement in AC for a set up others would do only 8 months for.

An added twist is that while the media was being told that guard Davis was killed by Roy Slider, it was known all along that this was a lie. Davis was stabbed once in the shoulder and was conscious and coherent during his hospital stay. The next morning he died of liver and kidney failure. The media didn't report this until after the grand jury refused to indict Slider due to the autopsy report confirming this fact. They ordered the body exhumed and another autopsy performed. The second autopsy confirmed that the stab wound was not the cause of death, that Davis died of a massive overdose of steroids resulting in kidney failure that the hospital staff had been negligent in evaluating. Slider has now been indicted for attempted murder and Davis' widow has sued the hospital for negligence. MANCI guards are still wearing black tape over their badges in memory.

Former MANCI major John Manison was just fired over theft charges for $150 confiscated cash that disappeared from the evidence room. Manison was on probation for assaulting a parolee in the prison parking lot a few years back. Manison was placed on administrative leave last year after prison informant Jerome Evans did his thing for the fourth time, taking a nurse hostage while in the AC unit, making her remove her clothing and licking her body while demanding a transfer. Evans is charged with kidnapping and gross sexual exploitation. Evans had told a prison psychologist he would take a hostage if not released from AC or transferred, the information was forwarded to Manison who didn't act on it.

And these are our keepers. It's no wonder prisoners leave prison full of anger, contempt for the Injustice System and full of bitterness. We are slapped in the face with our dual system of justice daily, one for the rich and one for the poor.

As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.

Subscribe today

Already a subscriber? Login