Skip navigation
× You have 2 more free articles available this month. Subscribe today.

Two Guards Killed During Botched Missouri Jail Escape

On June 22, 2000, a man and a woman rang the night bell of small county jail in Huntsville, Missouri, and when they were let in gunned down two guards in a botched attempt to spring a friend who was detained at the jail.

After killing the two guards, who were unarmed, the two searched for the key to open their friend's cell but couldn't find it and fled, authorities said.

Guards Leon Egly, 33, a Huntsville city councilman and jail supervisor, and Jason Acton, 36, a jail guard on the job for two months, were both shot repeatedly with a pistol.

Suspects Michael Tisius, 19, and Tracie Bulington, 27, were captured unarmed about nine hours later after being spotted walking along a highway 130 miles away. Both have been charged with murder.

Authorities said the suspects were trying to free Bulington's boyfriend, Roy Vance, who had recently been transferred from the Macon County Jail after an attempted escape. Vance had been in the Macon jail 15 times on drug and property damage charges. Bulington had been in and out of jail on charges including drug offenses, authorities said.

Randolph County Sheriff Don Ancell said jailers routinely let people in to the jail unless they look dangerous.

"People stop in at all hours," he told The Associated Press. "If they're not standing there with a gun in their hand, they let them in."

After the shooting, the jail's 36 prisoners were moved to other jails. Ancell said he will keep the jail shut until a bulletproof barrier can be installed.

Egley and other community members had been pushing for a new jail with increased security. Voters have repeatedly defeated ballot measures to pay for a new jail, most recently in November.

Source: The Associated Press

As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.

Subscribe today

Already a subscriber? Login