Washington State Agrees to Pay $15,000 to Probationer Whose Urine and Blood Were Forcibly Taken from Him
Loaded on April 15, 2010 published in Prison Legal News April, 2010, page 41
Matthew Arthur was arrested for DUI on November 30, 2005. Cowlitz County deputies took Arthur to a local hospital where Kevin Rentner, an ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Appalling Prison and Jail Food Leaves Prisoners Hungry for Justice, by David Reutter
- Washington Jail a Modern-Day Debtor’s Prison, by Gary Hunter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Food Problems Contribute to Riot at Kentucky Prison, by David Reutter
- Swine Flu Scare Leads to Unrest at Overcrowded Massachusetts Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Illinois Prisoners Sue over Soy-Based Food, by Brandon Sample
- Oklahoma Courts Collecting Fines, Costs at Expense of Justice
- Parole Denials Based Upon Assumptions; Tough Policies Threaten Public Safety at Great Cost, by David Reutter
- CCA Loses Contracts for 9,754 Prison Beds in 18 Months; More Losses Looming
- Missoula County Jail Agrees to Settle Excessive Force Suit for $490,000
- New York Passes Legislation Making HIV, AIDS and HCV Prisoner Care a Department of Health Responsibility, by Christina Hernandez
- $491,668 Settlement in Class-Action Suit Against Spokane County Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Crisis in Reverse: Counties Struggle with Dwindling Jail Populations, by Gary Hunter
- Retired New York Supreme Court Justice Sentenced to Prison for Sex Trafficking, by David Reutter
- Florida Jail Prisoner Paralyzed by MRSA Sues Prison Health Services
- Eighth Circuit: Shackling Pregnant Prisoner During Labor Unconstitutional, by Matthew Clarke
- Indiana DOC Changes Sexually Explicit Publication Policy Due to Class-Action Suit, by David Reutter
- State of Washington Settles Parolee’s Unlawful Detention Suit for $39,695.10
- Son, Wife of U.S. Congressmen Get Prison Time, by Brandon Sample
- Death Row Prisoner Loses Suit Challenging BOP’s Ban on Face-to-Face Media Interviews
- $300,000 Settlement in New York City Jail Prisoner’s Slip and Fall Accident
- Arkansas Prisoner Almost Dies After Being Left in Feces, by Justin Miller
- Virginia DOC K-9 “Training” Results in Animal Cruelty Charges, by David Reutter
- Kinship Care More Beneficial Than State Foster Care for Children of Incarcerated Parents, by Jimmy Franks
- Illinois Prison Officials Fail to Report MRSA Infections
- Guards Suspended, Fired in Prostitution Probe at CCA-Run D.C. Jail
- New York Voters Okay Prison Slave Labor for Nonprofits
- Indian Country Gets Stimulus Money ... to Build More Jails, by David Reutter
- Three Prisoners Raped at Oklahoma Governor’s Mansion
- Washington DOC Agrees to Settle Inadequate Medical Care Suit for $55,000
- Florida County Jail Discontinues Medical Co-Pay Policy, by David Reutter
- New Mexico Prisoner Vindicates Native American Religious Rights with Injunction, Fees and Damages
- Sex Addicted Ohio Sheriff’s Jail Supervisor Receives $1,000 Following Termination
- Texas Tech and TDCJ Settle Prisoner Suicide Suit for $85,000
- Dying in Cell 40: Vermont’s Flawed Contract and Prison Health Service’s Drive for Profit Lead to Prisoner’s Death, by Terry J. Allen
- Georgia Grand Jury Critical of Ticket-Fixing Scam
- California AG’s Spokesman Resigns After Caught Taping Phone Conversations, by Michael Brodheim
- Indiana Indemnification Statute Not Retroactive; Prisoner’s Estate Unable to Collect $56.5 Million Judgment, by David Reutter
- Prison Incident and Investigative Reports Must Be Disclosed Under Alabama’s Open Records Act, by David Reutter
- Prisoner Loses Excessive Force Case in 10 Minutes; Judge Deems Suit Frivolous, Orders $3,000 Paid to Defendants, by Mark Wilson
- Sweat Lodge Ban Does Not Violate RLUIPA
- 1979 Jail Consent Decree Largely Gutted by PLRA; Reversed on Appeal, by Mark Wilson
- Washington State Agrees to Pay $15,000 to Probationer Whose Urine and Blood Were Forcibly Taken from Him
- Texas Court of Appeals Reverses Dismissal of Prisoner’s Retaliation Suit; Second Dismissal Affirmed After Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Illinois Prison Doctor Liable for Failing to Treat Testicular Cysts, by David Reutter
- Virgin Island Officials Held in Contempt: Prisoner Mental Health Treatment Inadequate, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Private Jail Guard is “Corrections Officer”; Prisoner’s Assault Conviction Upheld, by Mark Wilson
- $862,500 Settlement in Mentally Ill Ohio Jail Prisoner’s Death
- Ninth Circuit: 42 U.S.C. § 233(a) Does Not Immunize Public Health Service Employees from Bivens Constitutional Tort Claims, by John Dannenberg
- NY DOCS Lacks Authority to Administratively Impose PRS – But State’s Liability Uncertain, by Mark Wilson
- California Prison Officials Settle Deliberate Indifference Suit for $12,000, by Michael Brodheim
- The Real Cost of Prisons Comix, by Lois Ahrens, PM Press, 90 pages, by Gary Hunter
- Iowa Good Time Statute Violates Ex Post Facto Clause, by Brandon Sample
- Over 10 Million in Prison Worldwide, by David Reutter
- News in Brief:
- California: Demand for Speedy Trial Applies to Probation Violation Detainers, by John Dannenberg
More from these topics:
- Private Probation Company Agrees to End Drug Testing Absent Court Order , Oct. 10, 2017. Sentinel, Parole/Probation Searches, Drug Testing, Class Certification.
- Arizona Supreme Court Clarifies Proper Standard for Reviewing Search of a Probationer's Home, Sept. 6, 2017. Parole/Probation Searches.
- Ninth Circuit: Warrantless Probationary Cell Phone Search Unconstitutional, May 5, 2017. Parole/Probation Searches, Cell Phone Access.
- “A Living Nightmare”, Feb. 17, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Searches, Strip Searches, Visitor Searches, Body Cavity Searches, Pat Searches, Jail Specific, Visiting.
- Trapped, Feb. 8, 2017. Parole Board Misconduct, Parole/Probation Searches, Cost of Prison Systems, Overcrowding, Rehabilitation/Recidivism, Sentencing, Parole, Three Strikes, Parole Conditions, Collateral consequences of prison, Alternative Sentencing, Overdetention.
- $175,000 in Damages, Attorney Fees Against Sentinel Offender Services, Feb. 8, 2017. Private Prisons, Misconduct/Corruption, Contractor Misconduct, Parole/Probation Searches, Wrongful Imprisonment, Probation, False Arrest.
- For Profit Drug Test Company Wrongly Reported No Shows for Completed Tests, Dec. 28, 2016. Contractor Misconduct, Parole/Probation Searches, Drug Testing, Probation, Parole Conditions.
- A Primer on Prisoners’ Constitutional Rights, Nov. 14, 2016. Prison Labor, Voting, Disciplinary Hearings, Searches, Cell Searches, Strip Searches, Prison/Common Area Searches, Body Cavity Searches, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, PLRA, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Court Access, Legal Materials, Indigent Defense, Grievances, Parole, Voting Rights Act, Due Process, PLN Litigation, Censorship, First Amendment, Religious Freedom, Prison Legal News documents, PLN related.
- Tennessee Prison’s Body Scanner Mothballed Due to Violations, Oct. 14, 2016. DOC/BOP misconduct, Searches, Mechanical Searches/Scanners, Failure to Protect (General).
- $300,000 Settlement in California Officers’ Planting of Gun on Parolee, Aug. 22, 2016. Police Misconduct, Parole/Probation Searches, Parole, False Arrest.