Loaded on April 15, 2010 by Matthew Clarke published in Prison Legal News April, 2010, page 17
On September 18, 2009, a U.S. District Court in Washington state granted preliminary approval to a settlement in a class-action lawsuit that challenged booking fee procedures at the Spokane County Jail.
Shawn Huss, a former jail prisoner, filed suit against Spokane County pursuant to 42 U ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Appalling Prison and Jail Food Leaves Prisoners Hungry for Justice, by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Washington Jail a Modern-Day Debtor’s Prison, by Gary Hunter
- Food Problems Contribute to Riot at Kentucky Prison, by David Reutter
- Swine Flu Scare Leads to Unrest at Overcrowded Massachusetts Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Oklahoma Courts Collecting Fines, Costs at Expense of Justice
- Illinois Prisoners Sue over Soy-Based Food, by Brandon Sample
- Parole Denials Based Upon Assumptions; Tough Policies Threaten Public Safety at Great Cost, by David Reutter
- CCA Loses Contracts for 9,754 Prison Beds in 18 Months; More Losses Looming
- Missoula County Jail Agrees to Settle Excessive Force Suit for $490,000
- New York Passes Legislation Making HIV, AIDS and HCV Prisoner Care a Department of Health Responsibility, by Christina Hernandez
- $491,668 Settlement in Class-Action Suit Against Spokane County Jail, by Matthew Clarke
- Retired New York Supreme Court Justice Sentenced to Prison for Sex Trafficking, by David Reutter
- Crisis in Reverse: Counties Struggle with Dwindling Jail Populations, by Gary Hunter
- Florida Jail Prisoner Paralyzed by MRSA Sues Prison Health Services
- Eighth Circuit: Shackling Pregnant Prisoner During Labor Unconstitutional, by Matthew Clarke
- Indiana DOC Changes Sexually Explicit Publication Policy Due to Class-Action Suit, by David Reutter
- State of Washington Settles Parolee’s Unlawful Detention Suit for $39,695.10
- Son, Wife of U.S. Congressmen Get Prison Time, by Brandon Sample
- Death Row Prisoner Loses Suit Challenging BOP’s Ban on Face-to-Face Media Interviews
- $300,000 Settlement in New York City Jail Prisoner’s Slip and Fall Accident
- Arkansas Prisoner Almost Dies After Being Left in Feces, by Justin Miller
- Virginia DOC K-9 “Training” Results in Animal Cruelty Charges, by David Reutter
- Kinship Care More Beneficial Than State Foster Care for Children of Incarcerated Parents, by Jimmy Franks
- Illinois Prison Officials Fail to Report MRSA Infections
- New York Voters Okay Prison Slave Labor for Nonprofits
- Guards Suspended, Fired in Prostitution Probe at CCA-Run D.C. Jail
- Indian Country Gets Stimulus Money ... to Build More Jails, by David Reutter
- Three Prisoners Raped at Oklahoma Governor’s Mansion
- Washington DOC Agrees to Settle Inadequate Medical Care Suit for $55,000
- New Mexico Prisoner Vindicates Native American Religious Rights with Injunction, Fees and Damages
- Florida County Jail Discontinues Medical Co-Pay Policy, by David Reutter
- Sex Addicted Ohio Sheriff’s Jail Supervisor Receives $1,000 Following Termination
- Texas Tech and TDCJ Settle Prisoner Suicide Suit for $85,000
- Dying in Cell 40: Vermont’s Flawed Contract and Prison Health Service’s Drive for Profit Lead to Prisoner’s Death, by Terry J. Allen
- Georgia Grand Jury Critical of Ticket-Fixing Scam
- California AG’s Spokesman Resigns After Caught Taping Phone Conversations, by Michael Brodheim
- Prison Incident and Investigative Reports Must Be Disclosed Under Alabama’s Open Records Act, by David Reutter
- Indiana Indemnification Statute Not Retroactive; Prisoner’s Estate Unable to Collect $56.5 Million Judgment, by David Reutter
- Prisoner Loses Excessive Force Case in 10 Minutes; Judge Deems Suit Frivolous, Orders $3,000 Paid to Defendants, by Mark Wilson
- 1979 Jail Consent Decree Largely Gutted by PLRA; Reversed on Appeal, by Mark Wilson
- Sweat Lodge Ban Does Not Violate RLUIPA
- Washington State Agrees to Pay $15,000 to Probationer Whose Urine and Blood Were Forcibly Taken from Him
- Texas Court of Appeals Reverses Dismissal of Prisoner’s Retaliation Suit; Second Dismissal Affirmed After Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Illinois Prison Doctor Liable for Failing to Treat Testicular Cysts, by David Reutter
- Oregon Private Jail Guard is “Corrections Officer”; Prisoner’s Assault Conviction Upheld, by Mark Wilson
- Virgin Island Officials Held in Contempt: Prisoner Mental Health Treatment Inadequate, by Matthew Clarke
- $862,500 Settlement in Mentally Ill Ohio Jail Prisoner’s Death
- Ninth Circuit: 42 U.S.C. § 233(a) Does Not Immunize Public Health Service Employees from Bivens Constitutional Tort Claims, by John Dannenberg
- NY DOCS Lacks Authority to Administratively Impose PRS – But State’s Liability Uncertain, by Mark Wilson
- The Real Cost of Prisons Comix, by Lois Ahrens, PM Press, 90 pages, by Gary Hunter
- California Prison Officials Settle Deliberate Indifference Suit for $12,000, by Michael Brodheim
- Over 10 Million in Prison Worldwide, by David Reutter
- Iowa Good Time Statute Violates Ex Post Facto Clause, by Brandon Sample
- News in Brief:
- California: Demand for Speedy Trial Applies to Probation Violation Detainers, by John Dannenberg
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Idaho Supreme Court Orders Acquittal for Insufficient Identification of Drug, June 18, 2018
- Junk Science Puts Innocent People in Prison and Keeps Them There, June 18, 2018
- Third Circuit Reverses Occupational Restriction in Excess of Statutory Maximum for Supervised Release, June 18, 2018
- Ohio Supreme Court: Prisoner Entitled to Results of Post-Conviction DNA Profile, June 17, 2018
- No Increase in Murder Rate for Civilians or Police Following Abolition of Death Penalty, June 17, 2018
- New Mexico Supreme Court Holds SCOTUS Prohibition Against Warrantless Blood Tests in DWI Cases Applies Retroactively, June 16, 2018
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals: Lawyer’s Failure to Advise Client of Opinion Making It Impossible for State to Meet Its Burden of Proof Constitutes Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, June 16, 2018
- $95,000 Settlement in Suit Over Idaho Jail Prisoner's Death, June 16, 2018
- Settlement in Lawsuit Over Missouri Jail Prisoner’s Death, June 8, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Orders Sealing of Court Documents that Reveal Informant, June 8, 2018
More from these topics:
- Lawsuits Filed Against GEO Group for Wage Violations at Detention Facilities, June 7, 2018. GEO Group/Wackenhut, Prison Labor, Money/Property, Immigration.
- Iowa Supreme Court Rules District Courts Have Authority to Hear Postconviction Relief Actions Involving Deprivation of Liberty or Property Interest, May 21, 2018. Liberty Interests, Sentencing, Money/Property, Sex Offender Treatment.
- Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Oklahoma Sheriffs – All of Them, May 8, 2018. Private Prisons, Contractor Misconduct, Government Misconduct, Criminal justice system reform, Bond Fees, Booking Fees.
- Pro Se Prisoner Wins Property Claim in California Court, April 27, 2018. Money/Property.
- New York to Spend $7.3 Million on College Programs for Prisoners, April 2, 2018. Education, Money/Property.
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, April 2, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Prison Gangs, Money/Property, Guards/Staff.
- Kansas DOC Raids Inmate Benefit Fund for $6.7 Million, March 6, 2018. Money/Property, Seizure of Prisoner Funds, Trust Accounts, Commissary.
- Four Guilty in Federal Student Loan Scam Using Prisoners’ Identities, March 6, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Money/Property.
- Settlements in Arizona DOC, BOP Lawsuits Over Release Debit Card Fees, March 6, 2018. Contractor Misconduct, Money/Property, Trust Accounts.
- Civil Asset Forfeiture: Unfair, Unjust, Un-American, Feb. 16, 2018. Money/Property, Forfeiture, Property.