Loaded on Jan. 15, 2012 published in Prison Legal News January, 2012, page 30
In July 2011, the Board of County Commissioners of Spokane County, Washington agreed to pay $230,000 to Prison Legal News to settle a federal lawsuit challenging unconstitutional restrictions on prisoners’ mail at the Spokane County Jail.
On September 1, 2010, new policies were enacted at the ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Days Without End: Life Sentences and Penal Reform, by Marie Gottschalk
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Family of Prisoner Strangled in Oklahoma GEO Private Prison Awarded $6.5 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida, Arizona Sell and Lease Back Prisons and Other State Buildings
- The Societal Impact of the Prison Industrial Complex, or Incarceration for Fun and Profit—Mostly Profit, by Alex Friedmann
- Virginia Wrongful Death Jail Suit Against Correct Care Solutions Settled for $1 Million
- Problems at North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab
- Federal Judge Sanctions Florida Sheriff’s Attorney for Threatening Plaintiff with Arrest
- Budget Crisis Closes Oregon Prison for First Time in 159 Years
- PLN Wins $230,000 in Settlement that Ends Spokane, Washington Jail’s Postcard-Only Rule
- Deaths at Texas Jail Reveal Health Care Deficiencies
- California Prison Industry Authority Offers to Replace Offensive Grave Markers
- Texas Prisoner’s Denial of Dentures Claim Affirmed in Part, Reversed in Part by Fifth Circuit
- Oregon Prisoner Property Claims Cost State $60,000 Annually
- Typewriters Alive and Well in American Prisons Despite Reports of Their Demise
- Review: Directory of Inmate Shopping Services E-Commerce, by Michael Brodheim
- California Criminalizes Cell Phone Smuggling, Seeks Technology to Block Cell Phone Calls from Prisons
- Washington Prison Guard’s Murder Results in Demotions, Firings and $26,000 Fine, by Mark Wilson
- BOP Fails to Prove Non-Exhaustion Following Pavey Hearing, by Mark Wilson
- North Carolina Warden Charged With Obstruction in Beating Coverup
- Illinois Prison Wages Cannot be Attached to Satisfy Incarceration Costs, by David Reutter
- North Carolina Jury Awards $10 Million in Wrongful Death Suit Against Taser, by Matthew Clarke
- CMS Pays $275,000 in New York Prisoner’s Jail Death
- Audit Finds California Prison Employees Routinely Work Less Than 40 Hours a Week
- Tennessee Court Again Orders CCA to Produce Records in PLN Public Records Case
- Prisoner Bike Repair Program Benefits St. Louis Kids
- Russian Prison Officials Sentenced for Torture and Rape of Prisoners, by Matthew Clarke
- Aramark Loses Laundry Contract to Oregon Prisoners
- California Muslim Prisoner Afforded Access to Kosher Diet Pending Implementation of “Religious Meat Alternate Program”
- Oregon Discontinues Failed Prisoner Deportation Program
- Head of Missouri Jail Sentenced for Beating, Arranging Attacks on Prisoners
- Prisoners Contribute to Flood Control Efforts in Louisiana
- News in Brief:
More from these topics:
- Prison Mailbox Rule Applies to Alabama Sentence Reconsideration Motions, Aug. 30, 2017. Due Process.
- HRDC/PLN Obtain Landmark Nationwide Censorship Settlement with Private Prison Company , Aug. 30, 2017. Management and Training Corporation, Publications/Books, PLN Litigation, Censorship, First Amendment.
- Los Angeles County Jail Faces Lawsuit Over Censorship of PLN, Aug. 29, 2017. PLN Litigation, Censorship.
- Wiccan Prisoner Settles with NV DOC Over Denial of Hardbound Religious Books, Aug. 7, 2017. Publications/Books, First Amendment, Religious Property.
- $500 Settlement for MA BOP Prisoner Over Lost Mail, Aug. 4, 2017. Legal Property, Publications/Books.
- PLN Obtains $50,000 Settlement in Tennessee Jail Censorship Suit, July 28, 2017. PLN Litigation, Censorship.
- Illinois Prisoner Wins Federal Civil Rights Suit over Mail Censorship, June 30, 2017. Mail Regulations, First Amendment.
- PLN Settles Censorship Challenge at Oklahoma Jail for $125,000, June 9, 2017. Publications/Books, Mail Regulations, Due Process, PLN Litigation, Censorship, First Amendment.
- PLN Settles Censorship Suit Against Illinois County for $75,000, Policy Changes , May 5, 2017. Publications/Books, PLN Litigation, Censorship, First Amendment.
- Texas Prison System Bans Social Media for Prisoners, May 5, 2017. Censorship, Internet, First Amendment.