Doctor of Death: Former Jail Physician Leaves Trail of Prisoner Deaths, Injuries
by Matt Clarke
An Illinois doctor whose medical care – or lack thereof – was linked to the deaths of prisoners in multiple states has lost his license to practice medicine, has been fined at least $50,000 ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $1.56 Million Settlement for Texas Jail Death Due to Drug Withdrawal, by Matthew Clarke
- Pharmacist Associations Take Stand Against Death Penalty, by Greg Dober
- Crime Labs Still in Crisis, by Matthew Clarke
- The Spread of Electronic Monitoring: No Quick Fix for Mass Incarceration, by James Kilgore
- News in Brief
- Maine Jail Raises Pigs to Feed Prisoners, Expands Organic Farm
- Third Circuit: Lack of Training for Jail Guards Bars Summary Judgment; $150,000 Settlement, by Mark Wilson
- Nebraska Supreme Court Upholds One-Hour Law Library Access, by Mark Wilson
- New York: Companies Settle Claims for Discriminating against Ex-Felons, by Gary Hunter
- California Supreme Court Restricts Life Without Parole Sentences for Juveniles
- Deferred Sentence Completion Automatically Restores Civil Rights in New Mexico, by Mark Wilson
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Suit; $26,875 Settlement on Remand, by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Challenge to Texas City’s Sex Offender Restrictions Reversed, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Courts Must Give Notice before Amending Judgment, by Mark Wilson
- Civilly Committed Sex Offenders Increasingly Released in Wisconsin, by Matthew Clarke
- Lawsuit Over Suicide of Oregon Prisoner Settles for $100,000, by Mark Wilson
- Reading Death Row Prisoner’s Legal Mail States Sixth Amendment Claim, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit: No Supervisory Qualified Immunity for Prisoner Suicide, by Mark Wilson
- $345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide, by David Reutter
- Book Review: Abolishing the Broken U.S. Juvenile Justice System, by Hannah K. Gold
- San Antonio, Texas Leads the State in Jail Suicides, by Matthew Clarke
- Dismissal of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoner’s Fabricated Evidence Claims Upheld on Appeal, by David Reutter
- New York Settles Wrongful Conviction Claim for $2.7 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Tasering Detainee as Corporal Inducement Violates Eighth Amendment, by David Reutter
- Video Shows Tulsa Jail Prisoner Subjected to “Horrific” Treatment Prior to Death
- Fifth Circuit Dismisses Female Immigration Detainees’ Sexual Assault Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Overdose, Taser and Restraint Chair Combine to Kill Washington Prisoner
- $12,500 Settlement for Pennsylvania Prisoner Denied Medication, by David Reutter
- Report Highlights Health Concerns Related to Coal Ash Dump at Pennsylvania Prison, by David Reutter
- Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better, by Maya Schenwar, by Gary Hunter
- Doctor of Death: Former Jail Physician Leaves Trail of Prisoner Deaths, Injuries, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison Guard Union Sues Mentally Ill Prisoners
- Second Circuit: Requiring Pretrial Detainees to Perform Forced Labor Unconstitutional; $15,000 Settlement on Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Washington Enacts Wrongful Conviction Compensation Law; County Reneges on $10.5 Million Settlement with Exonerated Prisoners
- Second Circuit Affirms Muslim Prisoner’s Right Not to Drink Water during Ramadan, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Appellate Court Reverses Dismissal of Rikers Island Wrongful Death Suit, by David Reutter
- Unauthorized Oregon “Offense Surcharges” Reversed, by Mark Wilson
- Oregon: State Must Prove Defendant’s Ability to Pay Attorney Fees, by Mark Wilson
- Sixteen Maryland Prison Guards Sentenced for Severely Beating Prisoner
- Forty Defendants, Including 24 Guards, Convicted in Widespread Corruption Scandal at Baltimore City Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Maryland Cannot Compel Retroactive Sex Offender Registration
- Unexhausted Oregon Parole Claims Not Cognizable, by Mark Wilson
- Philadelphia Traffic Court Abolished; Seven Judges Convicted
- California Prisoner’s Conviction for Smuggling Tobacco Overturned, by Lonnie Burton
- Tenth Circuit Misses Chance to Limit Long-Term Solitary Confinement, by Derek Gilna
- Tennessee County Not Required to Pay for Medical Costs after Prisoner’s Release, by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Lost and Improperly Destroyed Evidence Thwarts Post-Conviction DNA Testing, by Matthew Clarke
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Evidence Scandal Leads to the Dismissal of over 140 Texas Criminal Cases, Nov. 16, 2017
- California Felonizes Some Prosecutorial Misconduct, Nov. 16, 2017
- Fourth Circuit Holds North Carolina Sex Offender Restrictions Unconstitutional, Nov. 16, 2017
- Eighth Circuit Reverses Finding of Due Process Violations in Minnesota Civil Commitment Program, Nov. 7, 2017
- Texas Appellate Court Upholds $100,000 Damages Award in Jail Slip-and-Fall, Nov. 7, 2017
- Westboro Baptist Church Members Continue to Work in Corrections, Nov. 6, 2017
- Colorado Narrowly Rejects Ballot Measure to End Slavery as Punishment for Crime, Nov. 6, 2017
- The Elusive Dream: Closing Rikers Island, Nov. 6, 2017
- Arrested Texas Jail Nurse Refused to Test Blood Sugar of Prisoner Who Died, Nov. 6, 2017
- Texas Court of Appeals: Decriminalization of Civil Commitment Conditions Violation Applies to Cases Pending on Appeal, Aug. 31, 2017
More from these topics:
- Prisoner Showed Good Cause for Extension of Time, Oct. 10, 2017. Medication, Failure to Treat, Law Library Access/Adequacy, Grievances.
- Family Files Wrongful Death Suit Against County Jail in New York, Oct. 10, 2017. Correctional Medical Care, Medication, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Misdemeanor Trespassing Arrest Leads to Permanent Impairment, Oct. 9, 2017. Correct Care Solutions, Seizures, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Illinois Court Allows Medical Indifference Case to Proceed to Trial, Denies Summary Judgment to Prison Officials for Prisoner's Tooth Pain, Aug. 31, 2017. Wexford Health Services, Dental Care, Malpractice.
- Tenth Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Eighth Amendment Lawsuit Over Botched Oklahoma Execution, Aug. 31, 2017. Medication, Pain, Eighth Amendment, Death Penalty.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s Jail Under Fire for Deaths, Civil Rights Abuses, Aug. 30, 2017. Restraints, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, Aug. 30, 2017. Corizon, Medical Misconduct, Systemic Medical Neglect, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Deaths at North Carolina Jail Due to Lack of Medical, Mental Health Care, Aug. 29, 2017. Seizures, Drug Overdose, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Suicides.
- Oregon ACLU & Transgender Prisoner Sue for Hormone Therapy, Aug. 22, 2017. Medication, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (Transgender).
- Mississippi Supreme Court Allows Challenge of Lethal Injection Protocol to Continue; Reverses Lower Court, Aug. 21, 2017. Medication, Eighth Amendment, Death Penalty.