$345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide
by David M. Reutter
A $345,000 settlement was reached between Wayne County, Michigan, the City of Detroit and the estate of a prisoner who committed suicide at the Wayne County Jail (WCJ).
Jason L. Smith was arrested on April 29, 2009 and ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $1.56 Million Settlement for Texas Jail Death Due to Drug Withdrawal, by Matthew Clarke
- Pharmacist Associations Take Stand Against Death Penalty, by Greg Dober
- Crime Labs Still in Crisis, by Matthew Clarke
- The Spread of Electronic Monitoring: No Quick Fix for Mass Incarceration, by James Kilgore
- News in Brief
- Maine Jail Raises Pigs to Feed Prisoners, Expands Organic Farm
- Third Circuit: Lack of Training for Jail Guards Bars Summary Judgment; $150,000 Settlement, by Mark Wilson
- Nebraska Supreme Court Upholds One-Hour Law Library Access, by Mark Wilson
- New York: Companies Settle Claims for Discriminating against Ex-Felons, by Gary Hunter
- California Supreme Court Restricts Life Without Parole Sentences for Juveniles
- Deferred Sentence Completion Automatically Restores Civil Rights in New Mexico, by Mark Wilson
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Suit; $26,875 Settlement on Remand, by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Challenge to Texas City’s Sex Offender Restrictions Reversed, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Courts Must Give Notice before Amending Judgment, by Mark Wilson
- Civilly Committed Sex Offenders Increasingly Released in Wisconsin, by Matthew Clarke
- Lawsuit Over Suicide of Oregon Prisoner Settles for $100,000, by Mark Wilson
- Reading Death Row Prisoner’s Legal Mail States Sixth Amendment Claim, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit: No Supervisory Qualified Immunity for Prisoner Suicide, by Mark Wilson
- $345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide, by David Reutter
- Book Review: Abolishing the Broken U.S. Juvenile Justice System, by Hannah K. Gold
- San Antonio, Texas Leads the State in Jail Suicides, by Matthew Clarke
- Dismissal of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoner’s Fabricated Evidence Claims Upheld on Appeal, by David Reutter
- New York Settles Wrongful Conviction Claim for $2.7 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Tasering Detainee as Corporal Inducement Violates Eighth Amendment, by David Reutter
- Video Shows Tulsa Jail Prisoner Subjected to “Horrific” Treatment Prior to Death
- Fifth Circuit Dismisses Female Immigration Detainees’ Sexual Assault Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Overdose, Taser and Restraint Chair Combine to Kill Washington Prisoner
- $12,500 Settlement for Pennsylvania Prisoner Denied Medication, by David Reutter
- Report Highlights Health Concerns Related to Coal Ash Dump at Pennsylvania Prison, by David Reutter
- Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better, by Maya Schenwar, by Gary Hunter
- Doctor of Death: Former Jail Physician Leaves Trail of Prisoner Deaths, Injuries, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison Guard Union Sues Mentally Ill Prisoners
- Second Circuit: Requiring Pretrial Detainees to Perform Forced Labor Unconstitutional; $15,000 Settlement on Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Washington Enacts Wrongful Conviction Compensation Law; County Reneges on $10.5 Million Settlement with Exonerated Prisoners
- Second Circuit Affirms Muslim Prisoner’s Right Not to Drink Water during Ramadan, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Appellate Court Reverses Dismissal of Rikers Island Wrongful Death Suit, by David Reutter
- Unauthorized Oregon “Offense Surcharges” Reversed, by Mark Wilson
- Oregon: State Must Prove Defendant’s Ability to Pay Attorney Fees, by Mark Wilson
- Sixteen Maryland Prison Guards Sentenced for Severely Beating Prisoner
- Forty Defendants, Including 24 Guards, Convicted in Widespread Corruption Scandal at Baltimore City Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Maryland Cannot Compel Retroactive Sex Offender Registration
- Unexhausted Oregon Parole Claims Not Cognizable, by Mark Wilson
- Philadelphia Traffic Court Abolished; Seven Judges Convicted
- California Prisoner’s Conviction for Smuggling Tobacco Overturned, by Lonnie Burton
- Tenth Circuit Misses Chance to Limit Long-Term Solitary Confinement, by Derek Gilna
- Tennessee County Not Required to Pay for Medical Costs after Prisoner’s Release, by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Lost and Improperly Destroyed Evidence Thwarts Post-Conviction DNA Testing, by Matthew Clarke
More from David Reutter:
- Alford Pleas: Prosecutors’ Choice for the Wrongfully Convicted, Nov. 16, 2017
- Eleventh Circuit Holds Defendants Voluntarily Consented to Search in Police Ruse to Search Home Purportedly to Investigate Burglary, Nov. 16, 2017
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules State Sex Offender Registration Law Violates Ex Post Facto Clause, Nov. 16, 2017
- Proof of Law Enforcement Duty Is Primary Job to Establish Peace Officer Status, Nov. 16, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. Circuit Holds Waiver of FOIA Rights in Plea Agreement Unenforceable, Nov. 16, 2017
- $1.1 Million False Arrest Award Affirmed, Nov. 16, 2017
- Prisoners in Flint, Michigan Lied to About Water Crisis; Lawsuit Settles, Nov. 7, 2017
- Michigan Court Forced to End “Pay or Stay” Policy, Nov. 7, 2017
- The Fight to Restore Ex-felons’ Voting Rights in Virginia, Nov. 7, 2017
- Georgia Prison Contraband Investigation Nets 130 Arrests, Guilty Pleas, Nov. 7, 2017
More from these topics:
- Georgia Teen’s Suicide from Neglect Results in $1.7 Million Settlement, Oct. 10, 2017. Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- New York Courts Affirms Prison's Right to Force Feed Prisoner, Sept. 1, 2017. Hunger Strikes, Food, Suicides.
- Deaths at North Carolina Jail Due to Lack of Medical, Mental Health Care, Aug. 29, 2017. Seizures, Drug Overdose, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Suicides.
- Dead Bodies and Billions in Tax Dollars, Aug. 21, 2017. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Corrections Audits, Failure to Treat, Staffing, Suicides.
- Man Smuggles Poison into Jail, Commits Suicide Following Arrest for Failure to Pay Ambulance Bill, July 28, 2017. Money/Property, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- Illinois Prisoner Fatally Shot after Standoff; Hostages File Lawsuit, July 28, 2017. Prisoner-Staff Assault, Suicides, Assaults on Staff, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Suicide at Texas Jail Results in Firings, Lawsuit, Investigation and Legislation, July 28, 2017. Police Misconduct, Bail Bonds, Suicides, Staff Training.
- Epidemic of Suicides in California Women’s Prison, June 30, 2017. Suicides.
- Five Guard Suicides Within One Year at Ohio Prison, June 14, 2017. Suicides, Guards/Staff.
- Michigan Prisoner’s Suicide Under Investigation; Lawsuit Filed, June 9, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Medication, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Suicides.