$345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide
by David M. Reutter
A $345,000 settlement was reached between Wayne County, Michigan, the City of Detroit and the estate of a prisoner who committed suicide at the Wayne County Jail (WCJ).
Jason L. Smith was arrested on April 29, 2009 and ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $1.56 Million Settlement for Texas Jail Death Due to Drug Withdrawal, by Matthew Clarke
- Pharmacist Associations Take Stand Against Death Penalty, by Greg Dober
- Crime Labs Still in Crisis, by Matthew Clarke
- The Spread of Electronic Monitoring: No Quick Fix for Mass Incarceration, by James Kilgore
- News in Brief
- Maine Jail Raises Pigs to Feed Prisoners, Expands Organic Farm
- Third Circuit: Lack of Training for Jail Guards Bars Summary Judgment; $150,000 Settlement, by Mark Wilson
- Nebraska Supreme Court Upholds One-Hour Law Library Access, by Mark Wilson
- New York: Companies Settle Claims for Discriminating against Ex-Felons, by Gary Hunter
- California Supreme Court Restricts Life Without Parole Sentences for Juveniles
- Deferred Sentence Completion Automatically Restores Civil Rights in New Mexico, by Mark Wilson
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Suit; $26,875 Settlement on Remand, by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Challenge to Texas City’s Sex Offender Restrictions Reversed, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Courts Must Give Notice before Amending Judgment, by Mark Wilson
- Civilly Committed Sex Offenders Increasingly Released in Wisconsin, by Matthew Clarke
- Lawsuit Over Suicide of Oregon Prisoner Settles for $100,000, by Mark Wilson
- Reading Death Row Prisoner’s Legal Mail States Sixth Amendment Claim, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit: No Supervisory Qualified Immunity for Prisoner Suicide, by Mark Wilson
- $345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide, by David Reutter
- Book Review: Abolishing the Broken U.S. Juvenile Justice System, by Hannah K. Gold
- San Antonio, Texas Leads the State in Jail Suicides, by Matthew Clarke
- Dismissal of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoner’s Fabricated Evidence Claims Upheld on Appeal, by David Reutter
- New York Settles Wrongful Conviction Claim for $2.7 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Tasering Detainee as Corporal Inducement Violates Eighth Amendment, by David Reutter
- Video Shows Tulsa Jail Prisoner Subjected to “Horrific” Treatment Prior to Death
- Fifth Circuit Dismisses Female Immigration Detainees’ Sexual Assault Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Overdose, Taser and Restraint Chair Combine to Kill Washington Prisoner
- $12,500 Settlement for Pennsylvania Prisoner Denied Medication, by David Reutter
- Report Highlights Health Concerns Related to Coal Ash Dump at Pennsylvania Prison, by David Reutter
- Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better, by Maya Schenwar, by Gary Hunter
- Doctor of Death: Former Jail Physician Leaves Trail of Prisoner Deaths, Injuries, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison Guard Union Sues Mentally Ill Prisoners
- Second Circuit: Requiring Pretrial Detainees to Perform Forced Labor Unconstitutional; $15,000 Settlement on Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Washington Enacts Wrongful Conviction Compensation Law; County Reneges on $10.5 Million Settlement with Exonerated Prisoners
- Second Circuit Affirms Muslim Prisoner’s Right Not to Drink Water during Ramadan, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Appellate Court Reverses Dismissal of Rikers Island Wrongful Death Suit, by David Reutter
- Unauthorized Oregon “Offense Surcharges” Reversed, by Mark Wilson
- Oregon: State Must Prove Defendant’s Ability to Pay Attorney Fees, by Mark Wilson
- Sixteen Maryland Prison Guards Sentenced for Severely Beating Prisoner
- Forty Defendants, Including 24 Guards, Convicted in Widespread Corruption Scandal at Baltimore City Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Maryland Cannot Compel Retroactive Sex Offender Registration
- Unexhausted Oregon Parole Claims Not Cognizable, by Mark Wilson
- Philadelphia Traffic Court Abolished; Seven Judges Convicted
- California Prisoner’s Conviction for Smuggling Tobacco Overturned, by Lonnie Burton
- Tenth Circuit Misses Chance to Limit Long-Term Solitary Confinement, by Derek Gilna
- Tennessee County Not Required to Pay for Medical Costs after Prisoner’s Release, by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Lost and Improperly Destroyed Evidence Thwarts Post-Conviction DNA Testing, by Matthew Clarke
More from David Reutter:
- Vermont Supreme Court: Defendant Cannot be Compelled to Submit to Competency Evaluation by State’s Expert, June 17, 2018
- Numerous Deaths, Sealed Settlements in North Carolina Jails, June 5, 2018
- Guards Sentenced for Beating Prisoners at Kentucky Jail, June 5, 2018
- Iowa Supreme Court Rules District Courts Have Authority to Hear Postconviction Relief Actions Involving Deprivation of Liberty or Property Interest, May 21, 2018
- Coast Guard's Detention Based on Ethnicity Violates Fourth Amendment, May 10, 2018
- Judge Threatens Arizona Officials with Contempt Over Inadequate Prisoner Medical Care, May 7, 2018
- 2 Georgia officers forced out over racist Facebook posts targeting black motorists, April 23, 2018
- Reason for Missing Deadline Did Not Reach Level of Excusable Neglect, April 23, 2018
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018
- Intellectual Disability and Wrongful Conviction in Death Cases: A Lethal Combination, April 19, 2018
More from these topics:
- $12,500 Settlement in Suit Over Ohio Death Row Prisoner's Suicide, June 16, 2018. Settlements, Death Penalty/Death Row, Wrongful Death, Suicides, Staff Training.
- Hawaii Prison System Failing to Uphold Agreement on Mental Health Care, June 8, 2018. Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Prisons Don’t Damage Only Prisoners; Guards at Risk of PTSD and Suicide, Too, June 8, 2018. Statistics/Trends, Mental Health, Suicides, Guards/Staff, Guard Unions.
- Ohio: $275,000 Settlement in Jail Detainee’s Suicide, June 7, 2018. Settlements, Suicides.
- Lawsuit Over Rikers Island Suicide Settles for $380,000, June 5, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- While in Custody: The Fight to Stop Jail Deaths in Washington State, June 5, 2018. CONMED, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Accidents, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- Wrongful Death Case Against New York Jail Settles for $101,500, May 9, 2018. Correctional Medical Care, Eighth Amendment, Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Seventh Circuit Affirms Denial of Qualified Immunity in Jail Suicide Suit, May 7, 2018. Qualified Immunity, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, April 2, 2018. Statistics/Trends, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Despite Suicides, Jails Replace In-person Visitation with Video Screens, March 6, 2018. Jail Specific, Telephones, Suicides, Visiting, Video Visitation.