$345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide
by David M. Reutter
A $345,000 settlement was reached between Wayne County, Michigan, the City of Detroit and the estate of a prisoner who committed suicide at the Wayne County Jail (WCJ).
Jason L. Smith was arrested on April 29, 2009 and ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- $1.56 Million Settlement for Texas Jail Death Due to Drug Withdrawal, by Matthew Clarke
- Pharmacist Associations Take Stand Against Death Penalty, by Greg Dober
- Crime Labs Still in Crisis, by Matthew Clarke
- The Spread of Electronic Monitoring: No Quick Fix for Mass Incarceration, by James Kilgore
- News in Brief
- Maine Jail Raises Pigs to Feed Prisoners, Expands Organic Farm
- Third Circuit: Lack of Training for Jail Guards Bars Summary Judgment; $150,000 Settlement, by Mark Wilson
- Nebraska Supreme Court Upholds One-Hour Law Library Access, by Mark Wilson
- New York: Companies Settle Claims for Discriminating against Ex-Felons, by Gary Hunter
- California Supreme Court Restricts Life Without Parole Sentences for Juveniles
- Deferred Sentence Completion Automatically Restores Civil Rights in New Mexico, by Mark Wilson
- Seventh Circuit Reinstates Prisoner’s Eighth Amendment Suit; $26,875 Settlement on Remand, by Lonnie Burton
- Dismissal of Challenge to Texas City’s Sex Offender Restrictions Reversed, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Courts Must Give Notice before Amending Judgment, by Mark Wilson
- Civilly Committed Sex Offenders Increasingly Released in Wisconsin, by Matthew Clarke
- Lawsuit Over Suicide of Oregon Prisoner Settles for $100,000, by Mark Wilson
- Reading Death Row Prisoner’s Legal Mail States Sixth Amendment Claim, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit: No Supervisory Qualified Immunity for Prisoner Suicide, by Mark Wilson
- $345,000 Settlement in Michigan Detainee’s Suicide, by David Reutter
- Book Review: Abolishing the Broken U.S. Juvenile Justice System, by Hannah K. Gold
- San Antonio, Texas Leads the State in Jail Suicides, by Matthew Clarke
- Dismissal of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoner’s Fabricated Evidence Claims Upheld on Appeal, by David Reutter
- New York Settles Wrongful Conviction Claim for $2.7 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Tasering Detainee as Corporal Inducement Violates Eighth Amendment, by David Reutter
- Video Shows Tulsa Jail Prisoner Subjected to “Horrific” Treatment Prior to Death
- Fifth Circuit Dismisses Female Immigration Detainees’ Sexual Assault Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Overdose, Taser and Restraint Chair Combine to Kill Washington Prisoner
- $12,500 Settlement for Pennsylvania Prisoner Denied Medication, by David Reutter
- Report Highlights Health Concerns Related to Coal Ash Dump at Pennsylvania Prison, by David Reutter
- Locked Down, Locked Out: Why Prison Doesn’t Work and How We Can Do Better, by Maya Schenwar, by Gary Hunter
- Doctor of Death: Former Jail Physician Leaves Trail of Prisoner Deaths, Injuries, by Matthew Clarke
- Oregon Prison Guard Union Sues Mentally Ill Prisoners
- Second Circuit: Requiring Pretrial Detainees to Perform Forced Labor Unconstitutional; $15,000 Settlement on Remand, by Matthew Clarke
- Washington Enacts Wrongful Conviction Compensation Law; County Reneges on $10.5 Million Settlement with Exonerated Prisoners
- Second Circuit Affirms Muslim Prisoner’s Right Not to Drink Water during Ramadan, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Appellate Court Reverses Dismissal of Rikers Island Wrongful Death Suit, by David Reutter
- Unauthorized Oregon “Offense Surcharges” Reversed, by Mark Wilson
- Oregon: State Must Prove Defendant’s Ability to Pay Attorney Fees, by Mark Wilson
- Sixteen Maryland Prison Guards Sentenced for Severely Beating Prisoner
- Forty Defendants, Including 24 Guards, Convicted in Widespread Corruption Scandal at Baltimore City Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Maryland Cannot Compel Retroactive Sex Offender Registration
- Unexhausted Oregon Parole Claims Not Cognizable, by Mark Wilson
- Philadelphia Traffic Court Abolished; Seven Judges Convicted
- California Prisoner’s Conviction for Smuggling Tobacco Overturned, by Lonnie Burton
- Tenth Circuit Misses Chance to Limit Long-Term Solitary Confinement, by Derek Gilna
- Tennessee County Not Required to Pay for Medical Costs after Prisoner’s Release, by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Lost and Improperly Destroyed Evidence Thwarts Post-Conviction DNA Testing, by Matthew Clarke
More from David Reutter:
- FRCP Rule 25 Allows for Extension of Time to Substitute Party Upon Death, Aug. 8, 2018
- Florida: $60,000 Settlement for Juvenile Offender Raped During “Test of Heart” Ritual, Aug. 7, 2018
- Alabama Prisoners Suffer Nation’s Highest Homicide, Suicide Rates, Aug. 6, 2018
- Arkansas and Oklahoma Rehab Programs Sued for Using Court-ordered Defendants for Forced Labor, Aug. 6, 2018
- Prison Food and Commissary Services: A Recipe for Disaster, Aug. 4, 2018
- Mississippi Supreme Court Clarifies that Appellate Courts Never Serve as ‘13th Juror’ for Motion for New Trial, July 21, 2018
- Utah Supreme Court: Procedural Due Process Violated Where Failure to Participate in Sex Offender Treatment Program Used to Deny Parole to Prisoner Not Convicted of Sex Offense, July 21, 2018
- Virginia Parole Board Changes “Three-Strikes” Interpretation, July 6, 2018
- Tennessee Judge Ends Sentence Reductions for Prisoners Who Agree to Sterilization; Receives Reprimand, July 2, 2018
- Retaliatory “Rough Ride” by Prison Guards States Eighth Amendment Claim, July 2, 2018
More from these topics:
- Alabama Prisoners Suffer Nation’s Highest Homicide, Suicide Rates, Aug. 6, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Overcrowding, Staffing, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Colorado Prison Gang Leader Commits Suicide at Wyoming Prison, Aug. 4, 2018. Prison Gangs, Suicides.
- New Jersey Jail Scrutinized after Suicides; Guards Charged, Families Sue, Aug. 4, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- $125,000 Settlement in Case of Michigan Man Who Killed Himself In Jail, July 8, 2018. Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Suicides.
- Nevada DOC Settles Suit Over Prisoner Suicide for $93,000, July 6, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- New Virginia Law Requires Oversight of Jail Deaths, July 2, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Food, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Suicides, State Legislation.
- $12,500 Settlement in Suit Over Ohio Death Row Prisoner's Suicide, June 16, 2018. Settlements, Death Penalty/Death Row, Wrongful Death, Suicides, Staff Training.
- Hawaii Prison System Failing to Uphold Agreement on Mental Health Care, June 8, 2018. Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Prisons Don’t Damage Only Prisoners; Guards at Risk of PTSD and Suicide, Too, June 8, 2018. Statistics/Trends, Mental Health, Suicides, Guards/Staff, Guard Unions.
- Ohio: $275,000 Settlement in Jail Detainee’s Suicide, June 7, 2018. Settlements, Suicides.