Like another jail detainee more than seven years before him, Joshua Grose died while strapped into a restraint chair at the York County Detention Center in South Carolina.
In the early morning hours of October 12, 2013, following his arrest for allegedly killing both his stepmother and a neighbor by ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Not So Securus
- Securus Faces Lawsuit Over Recorded Attorney Calls, by Alex Friedmann
- United Kingdom: Queen Elizabeth Unveils Judicial and Prison Reform Shakeup
- Popular New Snack Born Behind Bars
- HRDC Represents Former Illinois Prisoner in Wrongful Conviction Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Number of State Prisoners Age 55 and Over Increased 400% in 20 Years, by Derek Gilna
- CCA Annual Shareholder Meeting Met by Protestors
- Report Reveals “Guaranteed Minimums” Drive ICE Detention
- Illinois DOC Settles Lawsuit Over Mental Health Treatment , by Derek Gilna
- Tenth Circuit Finds Compelled, Incriminating Sex Offender Polygraphs Unconstitutional, by Christopher Zoukis
- A Deadly Dust is Plaguing Hawaii Prisoners in Arizona
- Prison Policy Initiative Shines Spotlight on Probation and Parole Data, by Derek Gilna
- Mother Jones Reporter Goes Undercover at CCA Prison in Louisiana, by Derek Gilna
- Sixth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Bivens Claim, Discusses Inmate Accident Compensation Act, by Derek Gilna
- $7,000 Settlement after Second Circuit Reverses Dismissal of New York Prisoner’s Suit , by Derek Gilna
- Virginia: Unproven Facts Used to Deny Parole Subject of Lawsuit, Settlement
- Iowa State Court Finds Prisoner Entitled to Counsel at Prison Classification Hearing, by Derek Gilna
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Habeas Relief in California Death Penalty Case, by Derek Gilna
- In-house Parole Costs New Mexico Over $10 Million Annually, by Matthew Clarke
- Report: How Private Prison Companies Cut Corners to Generate Profit, by Derek Gilna
- German Prisoners Form Union, Seek Minimum Wage and Pension, by Joe Watson
- Criminal Defendants Shortchanged by Justice System that Favors Prosecutors, by Derek Gilna
- Idaho DOC Can’t Stop Love; State Senator’s Ex-wife Weds Prisoner, by Mark Wilson
- Prison Tobacco Bans Reduce Smoking-related Deaths, by Christopher Zoukis
- Ninth Circuit Directs BOP to Reconsider Denial of Designation to State Prison for Service of Federal Sentence, by Derek Gilna
- Prisoners in Chinese Labor Camps Send Pleas for Help in Exported Products, by Joe Watson
- Prison Conferences to be Held in Ohio, California
- Prison Policy Initiative Report Says Money Bail System Keeps Poor in Jail, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Judge Indicted for Making Secret Deal with Red-light Camera Company
- Hawaii Prisoner Awarded $7.2 Million after Losing His Fingers and Feet, by Christopher Zoukis
- Los Angeles County Undersheriff Convicted on Federal Obstruction, Conspiracy Charges, by Christopher Zoukis
- Illinois DOC to Pay Millions in Utility Arrearages
- Hawaii Prison Relocation Project Fails to Skirt Environmental Review, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- Restraint Chair Deaths, Abuses Prompt Questions, Criticism and Lawsuits, by Joe Watson
- Will Ohio’s Prison Watchdog Agency be Silenced?
- New Jersey Prison Phone Class-action Suit Against Global Tel*Link Continues, by Derek Gilna
- Advocates Want Private Prisons Subject to Open Records Laws , by Joe Watson
- New York Federal Judge Challenges Collateral Consequences
- The Mirage of Justice
- Seventh Circuit Reverses Denial of Prisoner’s Claim for Failure to Detach Portion of Administrative Form, by Derek Gilna
- California: Ninth Circuit Reverses Finding that Props 9 and 89 are Unconstitutional, by Derek Gilna
- Oklahoma Jail Detainee Handcuffed, Pepper-sprayed and Choked to Death
- Cell Workout, by L.J. Flanders (LC Books, 2015), by David Reutter
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Joe Watson:
- 3 Murders in 10 Months at Oklahoma Prison Run by CCA, Jan. 3, 2018
- Missouri’s Release of Pot Dealer Doing LWOP Gives Hope to Nonviolent Drug Offenders Incarcerated Nationwide, Nov. 28, 2017
- Former Sheriff Arpaio Guilty of Criminal Contempt, Receives Presidential Pardon, Nov. 6, 2017
- IRS Audit Prompts New Mexico County to Convert Bonds Used for ICE Facility, Oct. 10, 2017
- TN Prison Counselor Suspended for Posting Insults on Facebook, Aug. 30, 2017
- Wiccan Prisoner Settles with NV DOC Over Denial of Hardbound Religious Books, Aug. 7, 2017
- Settlement for IN Man Deprived of Critical Meds While Incarcerated in County Jail, Aug. 7, 2017
- NV Prisoner with Hand Injury Settles for Used TV, Medical Evaluation and $40.70 in Copying Fees, Aug. 7, 2017
- IN Woman Settles Wrongful Arrest Lawsuit, Aug. 7, 2017
- $7,500,000 Class-Action Settlement for Illegal Strip-Searches in Camden, NJ , Aug. 7, 2017
More from these topics:
- $550,000 Settlement for Detainee Rendered Quadriplegic by Guard’s Excessive Force, Dec. 7, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- Federal Prisons Use Nurses and Cooks as Guards While Officials Push to Fill Private Prisons, Dec. 7, 2018. Staffing, Guards/Staff, Guard Unions, Staff Training.
- Michigan Prisoner Awarded $16,500 for Guard’s Assault and Cover-up, Dec. 7, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Correct Care Solutions Redux: Poor Medical Care Leads to More Deaths, Lawsuits, Dec. 7, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Dismissal of Pro Se Prisoner’s Sexual Assault, Excessive Force Case Reversed, Dec. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Long-Term Segregation Can Establish Imminent Danger of Serious Physical Injury for PLRA Purposes, Dec. 5, 2018. Eighth Amendment, Physical Injury Rule, Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Mentally Ill Wisconsin Prisoners Held in Solitary Improperly Reclassified, Dec. 5, 2018. Classification, Control Units, Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Former Prisoner, Jailhouse Lawyer Mujahid Farid Has Died, Dec. 5, 2018. Geriatric Classification, Eulogies, Prison Reform, Criminal justice system reform.
- Indiana Prisoner Obtains $85,000 Settlement After Being Beaten and Tased, Dec. 5, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Stun Guns/Tasers, Settlements.
- Angola Closes its Notorious Camp J, “A Microcosm of a Lot of Things That are Wrong”, Dec. 5, 2018. Prison Reform, Totality of Conditions, News.