The Georgia Department of Corrections (GDC) agreed to pay $350,000 to settle a civil rights action filed by the estate of a prisoner murdered at Hays State Prison (Hays).
As previously reported in PLN, in late 2012 and early 2013 four Hays prisoners were killed over a five-week period ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Settlement Ends Montgomery, Alabama Debtor’s Prison, by David Reutter
- Union Supply Overcharges Sales Tax on Holiday Packages for TN Prisoners
- Staff-on-Prisoner Sexual Abuse Persists in New York Prisons, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit: Appeal Challenges Probation Revocation for Exercising First Amendment Rights
- Illinois: Exonerated Sex Offender Sues for Wrongful Conviction, by Derek Gilna
- Judge to Recommend Whether to Exonerate “San Antonio Four” of Sexual Assault Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- $350,000 Settlement for Estate of Prisoner Murdered at Georgia Prison
- Wisconsin DOC Pays Former Prisoner for Miscalculating Sentence, by Gary Hunter
- Vermont’s Policy of Sending Prisoners Out-of-State Found Unconstitutional, by David Reutter
- Minnesota Civil Detainee Raped by Cellmate Receives $203,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- $725,000 Award for Eye Loss Caused by Guard’s Assault, by David Reutter
- Human Rights Groups Condemn Worsening Conditions in Venezuelan Prisons, by Matthew Clarke
- Former Washington Prisoner Exonerated, Receives Compensation, Arrested Again
- From Jailer to Jailed: Former NYPD Boss Urges Prison Reform, by Christopher Zoukis
- Civil Rights Advocates Laud Healthcare Settlement with Arizona Prison System, by Joe Watson
- New York Prisoner’s Retaliation Claim Nets $147,000 in Damages, Fees and Costs, by David Reutter
- In Past Three Years, Governors in Three States Declare Moratorium on Executions, by Christopher Zoukis
- $2,250 Jury Award in Arkansas Prisoner’s Excessive Force Case, by Matthew Clarke
- California: Settlement in Race-based Prison Lockdown Suit; $2.375 Million in Fees and Costs, by Lonnie Burton
- European Human Rights Court Finds UK Prisoners Wrongfully Denied Vote, by Derek Gilna
- Louisiana Jail Detainee’s Death Leads to FBI Investigation, Charges
- Texas Prisons to Allow In-person Wedding Ceremonies after Prohibition on Proxy Marriages
- PLN Settles Lawsuit against Florida Jail’s Postcard-only Policy
- Use of Pseudonym Merited to Protect Prisoner from Victimization
- Oregon DOC Envelope Art Ban Violates First Amendment, by Mark Wilson
- $250,000 Settlement for Estate of PA Prisoner Killed by Mentally Ill Cellmate, by David Reutter
- Florida Jail Ends Postcard-Only Policy as Part of Settlement, by David Reutter
- Environmental Problems Taint Plan for New Prison in Utah, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- The Slow, Painful Death of Bail in New York City, by Jarrett Murphy
- California’s Jail-building Boom: What Comes After Mass Incarceration? Local Incarceration., by Anat Rubin
- Male Guards’ Videotaping of Female Prisoners Being Strip Searched Results in $675,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- Supreme Court Upholds Oklahoma’s Use of New Execution Drug, by Derek Gilna
- Police State: How America’s Cops Get Away with Murder (Book Review), by Bill Trine
- Federal Judges Very Rarely Sanctioned for Misconduct, by Matthew Clarke
- $3 Million Settlement in Death of Mentally Ill Prisoner; Three Guards Indicted, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida’s Department of Corrections: A Culture of Corruption, Abuse and Deaths, by David Reutter
- Will Lawsuits and Exposés Lead to Reform of Florida’s Brutal Prisons?, by Laura Cepero
- Sex Offenders Rally to Fight Discriminatory Laws, by Mark Wilson
- Computer Risk Assessments Gaining Popularity in Granting Paroles, by Derek Gilna
- Supreme Court Sets Aside Florida’s Death Penalty Sentencing Procedure, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Wisconsin Settles State Prisoner’s Lawsuits for $13,000, June 8, 2018. Retaliation for Use of Medical Services, Dental Care, Showers, Toilets, Hygiene Supplies, Restraints, Prisoner Property, Control Units, Mental Health.
- Settlement in Lawsuit Over Missouri Jail Prisoner’s Death, June 8, 2018. Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Texas Prisoner in Administrative Segregation Transition Program Murders Cellmate, June 8, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Control Units.
- Kansas Prisoner Who Warned “Something is Eating my Brain” Dies of Untreated Brain Infection, June 8, 2018. Corizon, Brain Injury, Failure to Treat, Infections, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Lawsuit Over Rikers Island Suicide Settles for $380,000, June 5, 2018. Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Influenza Season Hits Nation’s Prisons and Jails, June 5, 2018. Systemic Medical Neglect, Contagious Disease -- Misc., Failure to Treat.
- While in Custody: The Fight to Stop Jail Deaths in Washington State, June 5, 2018. CONMED, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Accidents, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- Two Civilly Committed Massachusetts Men Win Partial Victory, May 18, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement.
- Hudson County Settles for $407,500 over Wrongful Death of New Jersey Inmate, May 18, 2018. Medical, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).
- In the Eye of the Storm: When Hurricanes Impact Prisons and Jails, May 17, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Shelter, Hurricane Katrina.