In a verdict handed down on August 21, 2014, a federal jury found in favor of an Arkansas prisoner who claimed prison guards had provoked him into attacking them so they could beat him. The jury award of $2,250 included compensatory and punitive damages.
Keith Moore, a state prisoner ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Settlement Ends Montgomery, Alabama Debtor’s Prison, by David Reutter
- Union Supply Overcharges Sales Tax on Holiday Packages for TN Prisoners
- Staff-on-Prisoner Sexual Abuse Persists in New York Prisons, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit: Appeal Challenges Probation Revocation for Exercising First Amendment Rights
- Illinois: Exonerated Sex Offender Sues for Wrongful Conviction, by Derek Gilna
- Judge to Recommend Whether to Exonerate “San Antonio Four” of Sexual Assault Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- $350,000 Settlement for Estate of Prisoner Murdered at Georgia Prison
- Wisconsin DOC Pays Former Prisoner for Miscalculating Sentence, by Gary Hunter
- Vermont’s Policy of Sending Prisoners Out-of-State Found Unconstitutional, by David Reutter
- Minnesota Civil Detainee Raped by Cellmate Receives $203,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- $725,000 Award for Eye Loss Caused by Guard’s Assault, by David Reutter
- Human Rights Groups Condemn Worsening Conditions in Venezuelan Prisons, by Matthew Clarke
- Former Washington Prisoner Exonerated, Receives Compensation, Arrested Again
- From Jailer to Jailed: Former NYPD Boss Urges Prison Reform, by Christopher Zoukis
- Civil Rights Advocates Laud Healthcare Settlement with Arizona Prison System, by Joe Watson
- New York Prisoner’s Retaliation Claim Nets $147,000 in Damages, Fees and Costs, by David Reutter
- In Past Three Years, Governors in Three States Declare Moratorium on Executions, by Christopher Zoukis
- $2,250 Jury Award in Arkansas Prisoner’s Excessive Force Case, by Matthew Clarke
- California: Settlement in Race-based Prison Lockdown Suit; $2.375 Million in Fees and Costs, by Lonnie Burton
- European Human Rights Court Finds UK Prisoners Wrongfully Denied Vote, by Derek Gilna
- Louisiana Jail Detainee’s Death Leads to FBI Investigation, Charges
- Texas Prisons to Allow In-person Wedding Ceremonies after Prohibition on Proxy Marriages
- PLN Settles Lawsuit against Florida Jail’s Postcard-only Policy
- Use of Pseudonym Merited to Protect Prisoner from Victimization
- Oregon DOC Envelope Art Ban Violates First Amendment, by Mark Wilson
- $250,000 Settlement for Estate of PA Prisoner Killed by Mentally Ill Cellmate, by David Reutter
- Florida Jail Ends Postcard-Only Policy as Part of Settlement, by David Reutter
- Environmental Problems Taint Plan for New Prison in Utah, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- The Slow, Painful Death of Bail in New York City, by Jarrett Murphy
- California’s Jail-building Boom: What Comes After Mass Incarceration? Local Incarceration., by Anat Rubin
- Male Guards’ Videotaping of Female Prisoners Being Strip Searched Results in $675,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- Supreme Court Upholds Oklahoma’s Use of New Execution Drug, by Derek Gilna
- Police State: How America’s Cops Get Away with Murder (Book Review), by Bill Trine
- Federal Judges Very Rarely Sanctioned for Misconduct, by Matthew Clarke
- $3 Million Settlement in Death of Mentally Ill Prisoner; Three Guards Indicted, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida’s Department of Corrections: A Culture of Corruption, Abuse and Deaths, by David Reutter
- Will Lawsuits and Exposés Lead to Reform of Florida’s Brutal Prisons?, by Laura Cepero
- Sex Offenders Rally to Fight Discriminatory Laws, by Mark Wilson
- Computer Risk Assessments Gaining Popularity in Granting Paroles, by Derek Gilna
- Supreme Court Sets Aside Florida’s Death Penalty Sentencing Procedure, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Texas Court of Appeals: Decriminalization of Civil Commitment Conditions Violation Applies to Cases Pending on Appeal, Aug. 31, 2017
- Supreme Court Holds Demonstrators May Be Arrested for Trespassing Jail Grounds, Aug. 31, 2017
- $6.5 Million Jury Award in Oklahoma Jail Rape Lawsuit, Aug. 30, 2017
- Numerous Lawsuits Filed Against Corizon Nationwide; Company Loses Contracts, Aug. 30, 2017
- Iowa Supreme Court Upholds Automatic Disenfranchisement for all Felony Convictions, Aug. 30, 2017
- Nevada DOC Moves to End Discrimination against HIV-positive and Disabled Prisoners, July 28, 2017
- Policing for Profit: Law Enforcement Agencies Abuse Civil Asset Forfeiture, July 28, 2017
- Suicide at Texas Jail Results in Firings, Lawsuit, Investigation and Legislation, July 28, 2017
- Ohio Closes Prison Farms, Auctions Equipment, Plans to Sell Farmland, July 28, 2017
- Wrongfully Arrested for Murder, Prisoner Dies in California Jail; Corizon Loses Contract , June 30, 2017
More from these topics:
- Second Circuit: Ross Abrogates “Special Circumstances” Exhaustion Exception, Oct. 10, 2017. Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Seventh Circuit Upholds Jury Award for Illinois Prisoner Beaten by Guards , Oct. 10, 2017. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- $200,000 Settlement for Restraint of Pregnant Prisoner after Ninth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment, Oct. 10, 2017. OB/GYN, Eighth Amendment, Restraints.
- Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke’s Jail Under Fire for Deaths, Civil Rights Abuses, Aug. 30, 2017. Restraints, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Abuses at Louisiana Jail Investigated, Ten Deputies Plead Guilty, Aug. 30, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- With General Inch in Charge, We Can Expect Further Militarization of the Prison System, Aug. 30, 2017. Conditions of Confinement, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Military Prisons.
- $500,000 Settlement for Shackled IL Man Thrown from County Jail Transport Van, Aug. 4, 2017. Transportation, Restraints.
- $255,000 Jury Award for Man Beaten by IL Jail Guards After Judge Grants Remittitur, Aug. 4, 2017. Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $3,000 Settlement for NY Prisoner Assaulted, Harassed by Guards, Aug. 4, 2017. Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $2,500 Settlement for Chicago Man Injured by Tight Shackles, Aug. 4, 2017. Failure to Treat, Restraints.