On July 21, 2014, a California federal judge approved class-action status in a lawsuit filed by state prisoners challenging the statewide practice of race-based prison lockdowns. U.S. District Court Judge Troy L. Nunley of the Eastern District of California also appointed two law firms to represent the class. A ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Settlement Ends Montgomery, Alabama Debtor’s Prison, by David Reutter
- Union Supply Overcharges Sales Tax on Holiday Packages for TN Prisoners
- Staff-on-Prisoner Sexual Abuse Persists in New York Prisons, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit: Appeal Challenges Probation Revocation for Exercising First Amendment Rights
- Illinois: Exonerated Sex Offender Sues for Wrongful Conviction, by Derek Gilna
- Judge to Recommend Whether to Exonerate “San Antonio Four” of Sexual Assault Convictions, by Matthew Clarke
- $350,000 Settlement for Estate of Prisoner Murdered at Georgia Prison
- Wisconsin DOC Pays Former Prisoner for Miscalculating Sentence, by Gary Hunter
- Vermont’s Policy of Sending Prisoners Out-of-State Found Unconstitutional, by David Reutter
- Minnesota Civil Detainee Raped by Cellmate Receives $203,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- $725,000 Award for Eye Loss Caused by Guard’s Assault, by David Reutter
- Human Rights Groups Condemn Worsening Conditions in Venezuelan Prisons, by Matthew Clarke
- Former Washington Prisoner Exonerated, Receives Compensation, Arrested Again
- From Jailer to Jailed: Former NYPD Boss Urges Prison Reform, by Christopher Zoukis
- Civil Rights Advocates Laud Healthcare Settlement with Arizona Prison System, by Joe Watson
- New York Prisoner’s Retaliation Claim Nets $147,000 in Damages, Fees and Costs, by David Reutter
- In Past Three Years, Governors in Three States Declare Moratorium on Executions, by Christopher Zoukis
- $2,250 Jury Award in Arkansas Prisoner’s Excessive Force Case, by Matthew Clarke
- California: Settlement in Race-based Prison Lockdown Suit; $2.375 Million in Fees and Costs, by Lonnie Burton
- European Human Rights Court Finds UK Prisoners Wrongfully Denied Vote, by Derek Gilna
- Louisiana Jail Detainee’s Death Leads to FBI Investigation, Charges
- Texas Prisons to Allow In-person Wedding Ceremonies after Prohibition on Proxy Marriages
- PLN Settles Lawsuit against Florida Jail’s Postcard-only Policy
- Use of Pseudonym Merited to Protect Prisoner from Victimization
- Oregon DOC Envelope Art Ban Violates First Amendment, by Mark Wilson
- $250,000 Settlement for Estate of PA Prisoner Killed by Mentally Ill Cellmate, by David Reutter
- Florida Jail Ends Postcard-Only Policy as Part of Settlement, by David Reutter
- Environmental Problems Taint Plan for New Prison in Utah, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- The Slow, Painful Death of Bail in New York City, by Jarrett Murphy
- California’s Jail-building Boom: What Comes After Mass Incarceration? Local Incarceration., by Anat Rubin
- Male Guards’ Videotaping of Female Prisoners Being Strip Searched Results in $675,000 Settlement, by David Reutter
- Supreme Court Upholds Oklahoma’s Use of New Execution Drug, by Derek Gilna
- Police State: How America’s Cops Get Away with Murder (Book Review), by Bill Trine
- Federal Judges Very Rarely Sanctioned for Misconduct, by Matthew Clarke
- $3 Million Settlement in Death of Mentally Ill Prisoner; Three Guards Indicted, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida’s Department of Corrections: A Culture of Corruption, Abuse and Deaths, by David Reutter
- Will Lawsuits and Exposés Lead to Reform of Florida’s Brutal Prisons?, by Laura Cepero
- Sex Offenders Rally to Fight Discriminatory Laws, by Mark Wilson
- Computer Risk Assessments Gaining Popularity in Granting Paroles, by Derek Gilna
- Supreme Court Sets Aside Florida’s Death Penalty Sentencing Procedure, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- News in Brief
More from Lonnie Burton:
- Illegal 24-Day ICE Detention Nets Lawful Permanent Resident $99,000 Settlement, Sept. 13, 2017
- $10,000 Settlement for California Man Unlawfully Detained by ICE, Sept. 13, 2017
- Lawful Sudanese Immigrant Receives $60,000 Settlement for Five Days Unlawful ICE Detention, Sept. 13, 2017
- Naturalized U.S. Citizen Receives $400,000 after Being Illegally Held by ICE for 71 Months, Sept. 13, 2017
- Dismissal of Ill. Prisoner's Dental Care Lawsuit Affirmed By Seventh Circuit, Sept. 13, 2017
- Washington Court of Appeals Holds No Duty of Protection Owed By DOC to Felon Under Community Supervision, Sept. 12, 2017
- $1.3 Million+ Award of Attorney's Fees and Costs Approved in New York Unlawful Confinement Case that Netted Only $1 in Damages, Sept. 12, 2017
- Arizona's No-Bail Constitutional Provision for Certain Sex Crimes Violates Federal Constitution, State Supreme Court Says, Sept. 12, 2017
- Fifth Circuit Reinstates Part of Louisiana Prisoner's Failure-to-Protect, Medical Indifference Lawsuit, Sept. 8, 2017
- California Court Refuses to Reduce Juvenile's 32 Years-to-Life Under Miller v. Alabama, Sept. 8, 2017
More from these topics:
- ICE Detainee Sent to Solitary Confinement for Encouraging Protest of “Voluntary” Low-Wage Labor, Oct. 12, 2017. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Retaliatory Segregation, Prison Labor, Protests, Immigration.
- Study Shows “Ban-the-Box” Policies May Result in Racial Bias by Employers, Oct. 10, 2017. Discrimination, Racial Discrimination, Statistics/Trends.
- Eleventh Circuit Slams Douglas County, Georgia Sheriff's Office for Retaliation Against Whistle-Blower, Sept. 6, 2017. Racial Discrimination, Whistleblowing, First Amendment.
- Prisoner Rights Event Prompts Florida Prison System Lockdown, Aug. 30, 2017. Organizing, Hunger Strikes, Lockdowns.
- Going to Prison in Texas in 2015, Aug. 2, 2017. Classification, Prison Labor, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Food, Lockdowns, Bedding, Hygiene Supplies, Arrest and Booking, Grooming Rules, Release and Reentry, Parole, Prisoner Property, Commissary, Telephone Access, Telephone Rates, Religious Property.
- Study Finds Extreme Lack of Gender, Racial/Ethnic Diversity in State Courts, July 28, 2017. Gender Discrimination -- Women, Racial Discrimination, Gender Discrimination -- Men.
- Alaska Prisoner Deaths Criticized in Report, Author Becomes New DOC Commissioner, July 28, 2017. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Staff Training.
- Report: “Culture of Racism,” Frequent Use of Force at Northern California Prison, July 28, 2017. Racial Discrimination, Staffing, Excessive Force.
- $6,500 Settlement after Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Retaliatory Ad-seg Case, July 28, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Retaliatory Segregation, Control Units, First Amendment.
- Incarceration Numbers Falling, Especially for Blacks, July 28, 2017. Racial Discrimination, Statistics/Trends, War on Drugs.