Deadly Prison Riot in Delaware: 18 Prisoners Indicted, Slain Guard’s Widow Settles Suit for $7.55 Million
by Derek Gilna
In October 2017, a New Castle County, Delaware grand jury indicted 18 prisoners from the maximum-security James T. Vaughn Correctional Center, 16 of whom were charged with the murder of Lt. Steven Floyd, Sr. The guard was the only fatality of a February 2017 riot at the ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- America’s Toxic Prisons: The Environmental Injustices of Mass Incarceration, by Candice Bernd, Zoe Loftus-Farren, Maureen Nandini Mitra
- Ohio: Almost $3 Million Settlement in Suit Brought by Two Wrongfully Convicted Men, by Matthew Clarke
- $49,500 Settlement in Excessive Force Claim at Sacramento County Jail
- Inspector General Finds Substandard Conditions at California Jail Used by ICE, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Class-action Settlement, Mental Healthcare Problems at CA Jail Persist, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Sentencing Commission Report: Racial Disparities Persist, by Derek Gilna
- $415,000 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Tasered Prisoner Who Died in Texas Jail
- Filing Date of Operative Complaint Dictates if PLRA Exhaustion Applies
- Alaska Prisoners Stripped, Paraded on “Dog Leashes,” Held Naked for 12 Hours, by Christopher Zoukis
- Private Prison Forced to Produce Solitary Confinement Records
- Securus Fined $1.7 Million for Providing Inaccurate Information, FCC Approves Company Transfer Anyway, by Christopher Zoukis
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, by David Reutter
- Prisoners in Kenya and New Zealand, Unlike Counterparts in U.S., Win Right to Vote, by Derek Gilna
- New Policies for Federal and State Prisoners Guarantee Feminine Hygiene Products, by Derek Gilna
- Twenty-six Indicted After Gang Investigation, Including Two Prison Guards, by Monte McCoin
- Idaho DOC Agrees to Provide Kosher Meals, Pay $93,000 Settlement
- Florida KKK Guards Convicted in Plot to Kill Former Prisoner
- Texas County Settles Suit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $250,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Innovative Use of Peanut Butter by Alabama Prisoners, by David Reutter
- New York to Spend $7.3 Million on College Programs for Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- California: Protest Over Bay Area Jail Conditions, by Dale Chappell
- Tablets and E-messaging Services Expand in Prisons and Jails, as do Fees, by Edward Lyon, Matthew Clarke
- Challenge to Three-drug Execution Protocol Revived by Eleventh Circuit, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional
- Alabama Supreme Court Holds Miller Entitled to Retroactivity
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense
- Indiana Prisoner Entitled to Kosher Meals Under RLUIPA
- Deadly Prison Riot in Delaware: 18 Prisoners Indicted, Slain Guard’s Widow Settles Suit for $7.55 Million, by Derek Gilna
- Maine: Court Does Not Need Jurisdiction Over Prisoner to Issue Order to Protect Child
- Missouri: $75,000 Settlement for Detainee’s Death Due to Untreated Ulcer
- Global Tel*Link Settles Mississippi Prison Bribery Case for $2.5 Million, by Christopher Zoukis
- New Mexico Prisoner Obtains Court Order to Allow Breastfeeding
- Colorado Federal Jury Awards $50,000 to Prisoner Assaulted by Deputy in Court, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana Prison Officials Sued for Trying to Block Investigation into Abuse of Disabled Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Former Prisoner’s ADA Claims
- Prisons and Jails Impose More Restrictions on Mail, Visits to Curtail Contraband, by Matthew Clarke
- California Prisoners File Class-action Suit Seeking Hepatitis C Treatment, by Greg Dober
- Colorado: Defendants Settle After Death of Prisoner Denied Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Ashes to Ashes: In Illinois, the Erasure of Incarcerated People Continues After Death, by Sybil Drew
- As Wyoming State Penitentiary Falls Apart, Officials Rush Repairs, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit: Louisiana Must Allow Prisoner to Wear Dreadlocks, by Matthew Clarke
- What’s Hidden Behind the Walls of America’s Prisons, by Heather Ann Thompson
- New York: Former Rikers Guard Gets 30 Years for Civil Rights Violations, Conspiracy, by Monte McCoin
- California: Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner Dies after Two Days in Restraint Chair; $5 Million Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prison Administrators and Criminology Students Study Radical New Approach: Treat Prisoners Like Human Beings, by Christopher Zoukis
- California Supreme Court Upholds Death Penalty Reform Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, by David Reutter
- Tennessee Sheriff Offered “Church Release” to Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida Supreme Court Approves Use of Hypnotic Drug for Executions
- News in Brief
More from Derek Gilna:
- Study: Unionized Police? Increased Misconduct, May 22, 2018
- Washington High Court Issues New Rule Making Immigration Status Inadmissible, May 21, 2018
- Captured: ‘Golden State Killer’ Wanted for 12 Murders and 50 Rapes Turns Out To Be Former Sacramento-Area Cop, May 15, 2018
- New York Times Investigation Spotlights NYPD Practice of ‘Testilying’, May 15, 2018
- Wrongful Death Case Against New York Jail Settles for $101,500, May 9, 2018
- Pro Se Rhode Island Prisoner Wins First Amendment Settlement, May 8, 2018
- Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Oklahoma Sheriffs – All of Them, May 8, 2018
- The “Qualified Immunity” Doctrine Needs to be Reexamined, May 8, 2018
- Former Pennsylvania Guards Settle FMLA Lawsuits for $110,000, May 7, 2018
- New York Law Gives Reformed Offenders an Opportunity to Seal Convictions, May 7, 2018
More from these topics:
- Federal Inmate's Widow Receives $750,000 Settlement for Medical Malpractice, Wrongful Death, May 17, 2018. Medical, Malpractice, Conditions of Confinement, Wrongful Death.
- Family of California Man Wrongfully Killed by Hemet, California, Police Settle for $92,000, May 9, 2018. Wrongful Death, Police, Police Chases.
- $330,000 for Florida Prison Guards Abused at Training Academy, May 7, 2018. Retaliation against Staff, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Assaults on Staff, Employee Litigation, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Rash of Security Breaches Plagues Nation’s Prisons and Jails, May 7, 2018. Prison Rebellion, Escapes, Security Systems.
- Photos Show Aftermath of Lethal South Carolina Prison Brawl that Left Seven Dead, May 4, 2018. Prison Rebellion.
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018. Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Sheriff Wanted Medical Examiner to Alter Reports, March 16, 2018. Police Misconduct, Government Misconduct, Medical, Wrongful Death.
- Federal Lawsuit Filed in Dehydration Death at Wisconsin Jail; Three Jailers Charged, March 6, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Water, Federal Statutory Law, Wrongful Death.
- $5 Million Settles Jail Detainee’s Death, March 6, 2018. Failure to Treat, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- Two Cellmates Die at Private Louisiana Jail, March 6, 2018. Private Prisons, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.