by Matt Clarke
The estate of a man who died in a Colorado jail of a treatable foot malady has settled a lawsuit alleging Corrections Corporation of America (now CoreCivic) and other defendants caused his death by denying him medical care and surgery.
When Dennis Choquette was booked into the ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- America’s Toxic Prisons: The Environmental Injustices of Mass Incarceration, by Candice Bernd, Zoe Loftus-Farren, Maureen Nandini Mitra
- Ohio: Almost $3 Million Settlement in Suit Brought by Two Wrongfully Convicted Men, by Matthew Clarke
- $49,500 Settlement in Excessive Force Claim at Sacramento County Jail
- Inspector General Finds Substandard Conditions at California Jail Used by ICE, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Class-action Settlement, Mental Healthcare Problems at CA Jail Persist, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Sentencing Commission Report: Racial Disparities Persist, by Derek Gilna
- $415,000 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Tasered Prisoner Who Died in Texas Jail
- Filing Date of Operative Complaint Dictates if PLRA Exhaustion Applies
- Alaska Prisoners Stripped, Paraded on “Dog Leashes,” Held Naked for 12 Hours, by Christopher Zoukis
- Private Prison Forced to Produce Solitary Confinement Records
- Securus Fined $1.7 Million for Providing Inaccurate Information, FCC Approves Company Transfer Anyway, by Christopher Zoukis
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, by David Reutter
- Prisoners in Kenya and New Zealand, Unlike Counterparts in U.S., Win Right to Vote, by Derek Gilna
- New Policies for Federal and State Prisoners Guarantee Feminine Hygiene Products, by Derek Gilna
- Twenty-six Indicted After Gang Investigation, Including Two Prison Guards, by Monte McCoin
- Idaho DOC Agrees to Provide Kosher Meals, Pay $93,000 Settlement
- Florida KKK Guards Convicted in Plot to Kill Former Prisoner
- Texas County Settles Suit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $250,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Innovative Use of Peanut Butter by Alabama Prisoners, by David Reutter
- New York to Spend $7.3 Million on College Programs for Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- California: Protest Over Bay Area Jail Conditions, by Dale Chappell
- Tablets and E-messaging Services Expand in Prisons and Jails, as do Fees, by Edward Lyon, Matthew Clarke
- Challenge to Three-drug Execution Protocol Revived by Eleventh Circuit, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional
- Alabama Supreme Court Holds Miller Entitled to Retroactivity
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense
- Indiana Prisoner Entitled to Kosher Meals Under RLUIPA
- Deadly Prison Riot in Delaware: 18 Prisoners Indicted, Slain Guard’s Widow Settles Suit for $7.55 Million, by Derek Gilna
- Maine: Court Does Not Need Jurisdiction Over Prisoner to Issue Order to Protect Child
- Missouri: $75,000 Settlement for Detainee’s Death Due to Untreated Ulcer
- Global Tel*Link Settles Mississippi Prison Bribery Case for $2.5 Million, by Christopher Zoukis
- New Mexico Prisoner Obtains Court Order to Allow Breastfeeding
- Colorado Federal Jury Awards $50,000 to Prisoner Assaulted by Deputy in Court, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana Prison Officials Sued for Trying to Block Investigation into Abuse of Disabled Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Former Prisoner’s ADA Claims
- Prisons and Jails Impose More Restrictions on Mail, Visits to Curtail Contraband, by Matthew Clarke
- California Prisoners File Class-action Suit Seeking Hepatitis C Treatment, by Greg Dober
- Colorado: Defendants Settle After Death of Prisoner Denied Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Ashes to Ashes: In Illinois, the Erasure of Incarcerated People Continues After Death, by Sybil Drew
- As Wyoming State Penitentiary Falls Apart, Officials Rush Repairs, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit: Louisiana Must Allow Prisoner to Wear Dreadlocks, by Matthew Clarke
- What’s Hidden Behind the Walls of America’s Prisons, by Heather Ann Thompson
- New York: Former Rikers Guard Gets 30 Years for Civil Rights Violations, Conspiracy, by Monte McCoin
- California: Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner Dies after Two Days in Restraint Chair; $5 Million Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prison Administrators and Criminology Students Study Radical New Approach: Treat Prisoners Like Human Beings, by Christopher Zoukis
- California Supreme Court Upholds Death Penalty Reform Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, by David Reutter
- Tennessee Sheriff Offered “Church Release” to Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida Supreme Court Approves Use of Hypnotic Drug for Executions
- News in Brief
More from Matthew Clarke:
- 7th Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner's Civil Rights Lawsuit, April 20, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 20, 2018
- The ‘Office Shuffle’: Ohio Police Recycle Bad Apples Among Rural Departments, April 19, 2018
- Controversial Police Interrogation Technique That Often Results in False Confessions Abandoned by Influential Training Consultant, April 19, 2018
- Texas Quietly Authorizes Nation’s First Public Safety Employees Treatment Courts, April 19, 2018
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Holds Defendant Entitled to Self-Defense Jury Charge if There is Any Evidence to Support It, April 19, 2018
- Tenth Circuit upholds class certification of immigration detainees forced to labor, April 16, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 16, 2018
More from these topics:
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, April 2, 2018. Statistics/Trends, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Texas County Settles Suit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $250,000, April 2, 2018. Medical Misconduct, Eighth Amendment, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional, April 2, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Work Conditions/Safety, Strip Searches, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Missouri: $75,000 Settlement for Detainee’s Death Due to Untreated Ulcer, April 2, 2018. Gastrointestinal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- California Prisoners File Class-action Suit Seeking Hepatitis C Treatment, April 2, 2018. Medication, Hepatitis, Failure to Treat, Class Certification.
- California: Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner Dies after Two Days in Restraint Chair; $5 Million Settlement, April 2, 2018. Restraints, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Judge's Husband Profited From Prison Stock, March 12, 2018. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Judicial Misconduct, Immigration.
- Major Scabies Outbreak at CoreCivic Facility in Tennessee, March 6, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Contagious Disease -- Misc..
- Summary Judgment Reversed for Delay in Treating Prisoner in Extreme Pain, March 6, 2018. Failure to Treat, Summary Judgment.
- $5 Million Settles Jail Detainee’s Death, March 6, 2018. Failure to Treat, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.