by Christopher Zoukis
As previously mentioned in PLN, Global Tel*Link Corp. (GTL), the largest provider of prison and jail phone services in the United States, has settled a lawsuit that accused the company of conspiring to bribe corrections officials in Mississippi. [See: PLN, Oct. 2017, p.16; Oct. 2015 ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- America’s Toxic Prisons: The Environmental Injustices of Mass Incarceration, by Candice Bernd, Zoe Loftus-Farren, Maureen Nandini Mitra
- Ohio: Almost $3 Million Settlement in Suit Brought by Two Wrongfully Convicted Men, by Matthew Clarke
- $49,500 Settlement in Excessive Force Claim at Sacramento County Jail
- Inspector General Finds Substandard Conditions at California Jail Used by ICE, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Class-action Settlement, Mental Healthcare Problems at CA Jail Persist, by Derek Gilna
- U.S. Sentencing Commission Report: Racial Disparities Persist, by Derek Gilna
- $415,000 Settlement in Lawsuit Over Tasered Prisoner Who Died in Texas Jail
- Filing Date of Operative Complaint Dictates if PLRA Exhaustion Applies
- Alaska Prisoners Stripped, Paraded on “Dog Leashes,” Held Naked for 12 Hours, by Christopher Zoukis
- Private Prison Forced to Produce Solitary Confinement Records
- Securus Fined $1.7 Million for Providing Inaccurate Information, FCC Approves Company Transfer Anyway, by Christopher Zoukis
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, by David Reutter
- Prisoners in Kenya and New Zealand, Unlike Counterparts in U.S., Win Right to Vote, by Derek Gilna
- New Policies for Federal and State Prisoners Guarantee Feminine Hygiene Products, by Derek Gilna
- Twenty-six Indicted After Gang Investigation, Including Two Prison Guards, by Monte McCoin
- Idaho DOC Agrees to Provide Kosher Meals, Pay $93,000 Settlement
- Florida KKK Guards Convicted in Plot to Kill Former Prisoner
- Texas County Settles Suit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $250,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Innovative Use of Peanut Butter by Alabama Prisoners, by David Reutter
- New York to Spend $7.3 Million on College Programs for Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- California: Protest Over Bay Area Jail Conditions, by Dale Chappell
- Tablets and E-messaging Services Expand in Prisons and Jails, as do Fees, by Edward Lyon, Matthew Clarke
- Challenge to Three-drug Execution Protocol Revived by Eleventh Circuit, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional
- Alabama Supreme Court Holds Miller Entitled to Retroactivity
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense
- Indiana Prisoner Entitled to Kosher Meals Under RLUIPA
- Deadly Prison Riot in Delaware: 18 Prisoners Indicted, Slain Guard’s Widow Settles Suit for $7.55 Million, by Derek Gilna
- Maine: Court Does Not Need Jurisdiction Over Prisoner to Issue Order to Protect Child
- Missouri: $75,000 Settlement for Detainee’s Death Due to Untreated Ulcer
- Global Tel*Link Settles Mississippi Prison Bribery Case for $2.5 Million, by Christopher Zoukis
- New Mexico Prisoner Obtains Court Order to Allow Breastfeeding
- Colorado Federal Jury Awards $50,000 to Prisoner Assaulted by Deputy in Court, by Matthew Clarke
- Louisiana Prison Officials Sued for Trying to Block Investigation into Abuse of Disabled Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Deaf Former Prisoner’s ADA Claims
- Prisons and Jails Impose More Restrictions on Mail, Visits to Curtail Contraband, by Matthew Clarke
- California Prisoners File Class-action Suit Seeking Hepatitis C Treatment, by Greg Dober
- Colorado: Defendants Settle After Death of Prisoner Denied Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Ashes to Ashes: In Illinois, the Erasure of Incarcerated People Continues After Death, by Sybil Drew
- As Wyoming State Penitentiary Falls Apart, Officials Rush Repairs, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit: Louisiana Must Allow Prisoner to Wear Dreadlocks, by Matthew Clarke
- What’s Hidden Behind the Walls of America’s Prisons, by Heather Ann Thompson
- New York: Former Rikers Guard Gets 30 Years for Civil Rights Violations, Conspiracy, by Monte McCoin
- California: Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner Dies after Two Days in Restraint Chair; $5 Million Settlement, by Christopher Zoukis
- Prison Administrators and Criminology Students Study Radical New Approach: Treat Prisoners Like Human Beings, by Christopher Zoukis
- California Supreme Court Upholds Death Penalty Reform Law, by Christopher Zoukis
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, by David Reutter
- Tennessee Sheriff Offered “Church Release” to Prisoners, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Florida Supreme Court Approves Use of Hypnotic Drug for Executions
- News in Brief
More from Christopher Zoukis:
- $132,300 Awarded to Florida Prisoner After Hand Crushed in Cell Door, June 21, 2018
- Louisiana Prisoner Beaten by Prison Guards Settles Civil Rights Claim, June 21, 2018
- California Prisoner Threatened and Maltreated by Prison Guards Settles, June 21, 2018
- Mother of California State Prisoner Receives Settlement in Wrongful Death of Son, June 21, 2018
- Mother of Utah Prisoner Who Starved to Death in County Jail Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018
- $400,000 Settlement Accepted by Michigan Parolee Over Force by Police, Parole Officers, June 21, 2018
- California Prisoner Denied Adequate Exercise Time Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018
- $224,528 Awarded to County Jail Employee in New York Retaliation Suit, June 21, 2018
- Daughter of Texas Prisoner Who Died from Asthma Attack Receives Settlement, June 21, 2018
- $50,000 Settlement for New York Female Prisoner Fondled by Physician's Assistant, June 20, 2018
More from these topics:
- Cause of Action for Shaming Sex Therapy May Not Accrue Until after Release from Prison, June 7, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Jail Misconduct, Mental Health, Involuntary Treatment/Drugging.
- Incorrect Cause of Tennessee Prisoner’s Death Reported by CoreCivic Employees, June 7, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Contractor Misconduct, Drug Overdose, Statistics/Trends, Wrongful Death.
- LA County Deputy Sheriff Awarded $4.5 Million in Retaliation Suit, May 18, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Retaliation, Police.
- Honoring Police Includes Acknowledging Systemic Reform Is Needed, May 9, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Discrimination, War on Drugs, Excessive Force, Police, False Arrest.
- Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Oklahoma Sheriffs – All of Them, May 8, 2018. Private Prisons, Contractor Misconduct, Government Misconduct, Criminal justice system reform, Bond Fees, Booking Fees.
- Judge Threatens Arizona Officials with Contempt Over Inadequate Prisoner Medical Care, May 7, 2018. Corizon, Contractor Misconduct, Private Contractors, Failure to Treat, Contempt (Civil Procedure).
- California: Defendants’ Repeated Discovery Obstruction Sanctioned in Guard Sex Abuse Case, May 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, DOC/BOP misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Discovery.
- Exclusive! Incorrect Cause of Tennessee Prisoner’s Death Reported by CoreCivic Employees, May 1, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Contractor Misconduct.
- Ninth Circuit Reinstates Lawsuit Over Snitch Jacketing, April 25, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Failure to Protect (General), Privacy Act.
- California Supreme Court Grants Habeas Petition and Vacates Capital Murder Conviction Due to False Expert Testimony at Trial, April 19, 2018. Misconduct/Corruption, Expert Witnesses, Habeas Corpus, Death Penalty.