by Matt Clarke
When New Mexico state prisoner Rhiannon Montoya was 36, she was incarcerated at the Rio Arriba County Jail. There she met guard Orlando Ulibarri, whom she accused of sexually assaulting her. Montoya complained about Ulibarri, who was subsequently fired for bringing contraband into the jail and possessing ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- They Thought They Were Going to Rehab. They Ended up in Chicken Plants, by Amy Julia Harris, Shoshana Walter
- News in Brief
- Florida Guard Gets 21 Months for Attacking Prisoner, Planting Weapon, by Monte McCoin
- OIG Report Slams CoreCivic’s Management of Leavenworth Prison, by Derek Gilna
- $160,000 Settles New Jersey Jail Class Action Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Private Prison CEO Heads Search for United Way Leader
- North Carolina Reforms Solitary Confinement Policies Following Vera Report, by Derek Gilna
- Assaultive Behavior by Michigan Prisoners Subject to Aggressive Prosecution
- Sentencing Project Report Examines Increasing Number of Life Sentences, by Derek Gilna
- New York: Inhumanity in the Guise of Education at Rikers Island Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Sanctions Against GEO Group Attorneys for Discovery Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: Injured Federal Detainee Meets Negligence Standard in Fall from Stool
- West Virginia Prisoner Injured on Work Crew Denied Workers’ Compensation
- Majority of Federal Prisoner’s Settlement Seized for Restitution; Tenth Circuit Affirms
- $950,000 Settles Mistreatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit Claims CoreCivic Allowed Corruption and Gangs to Flourish at Oklahoma Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- $10,000 Settles Kansas Suit Over Fall From Upper Bunk
- Florida: Private Prison Company Allowed to Overcharge State, Mistreat Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s Macomb County Jail Under Fire for Lack of Medical Care, Deaths, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s New Prison Food Service Provider Failing to Meet Contract Terms, by David Reutter
- $500,000 Settles Illinois Jail Suicide Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Cook County Strip-search Class-action Claimants to Receive Additional Payments, by Derek Gilna
- Drug Addicts Suffer Preventable Deaths in U.S. Jails, by Christopher Zoukis
- Controversy Surrounds Angola Prison Warden’s Retirement, Indictment of Family Members, by David Reutter
- $840,000 to Wrongfully Terminated Pennsylvania Jail Official
- Montana DOC Agrees to Modification of ADA Class-action Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- California Agency Addresses In-person Visits at Jails after Governor Vetoes Bill, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Times Reveals Racial Bias Rampant in Upstate New York Prisons, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment Order in Detainee’s Wrongful Death Suit
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- “Start by Believing” Initiative Creates Controversy, by Matthew Clarke
- Department of Justice Releases Reports on Prison and Jail Deaths, by Matthew Clarke
- Attica Medical Experiments Exposed, by Greg Dober
- $3.6 Million: California Prisoner Killed by Guards, by Matthew Clarke
- $1.23 Million Settles Indiana Jail Conditions Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Report Slams Takeover of Washington DOC Food Services by Correctional Industries, by Lonnie Burton
- Pennsylvania Class-action Targets Company Providing Inaccurate Background Checks, by Derek Gilna
- Arkansas Supreme Court: Religious Freedom Preliminary Injunction Requires Hearing
- Seventh Circuit: Court Erred in Dismissing Prisoner’s Suit for Failure to Include Trust Account Ledger, by Matthew Clarke
- Solitary to the Streets: Studies Find Such Releases Result in Higher Recidivism Rates, Violent Behavior, by Lonnie Burton
- Palestinian Prisoners Stage Hunger Strike, by Christopher Zoukis
- National Registry of Exonerations Report: Blacks Suffer More False Convictions, by Derek Gilna
- $8.4 Million Judgment in Defamation Suit, by Christopher Zoukis
- Utah Settles Federal Suit Alleging Delays in Competency Treatment for Pre-trial Detainees, by Derek Gilna
- New York State Prisoner’s Administrative Charges Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Correctional Complex at the Center of City’s Water Debacle, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Multiple Lawsuits Allege “Slave Labor” Under Guise of Drug Treatment, by Derek Gilna
- US Parole Activists Aim to Overhaul a Failing System, by Jean Trounstine
More from Matthew Clarke:
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, Oct. 12, 2018
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, Oct. 12, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, Oct. 12, 2018
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, Oct. 12, 2018
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, Oct. 8, 2018
- From the Big Box to the Big House: Walmart Helps Tennessee Prosecutors Felonize Shoplifting, Sept. 23, 2018
- Many Sheriffs Tempted by Lack of Oversight or Fiscal Accountability, Sept. 23, 2018
- Plainclothes Officers, 6 percent of NYC Police Force, Involved in 31 percent of Fatal Police Shootings, Sept. 19, 2018
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018
More from these topics:
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades, Oct. 12, 2018. Sexual Assault, Attorney Misconduct.
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault, Oct. 11, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Eric Schneiderman Pushed Laws Opposing Abuse of Women as He Stands Accused of Abusing Them Himself, Sept. 23, 2018. Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Government Misconduct, Prosecutor/Attorney General Misconduct, Attorneys General, Violence Against Women Act, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Former district attorney in Maine sued for misconduct, Sept. 10, 2018. Sexual Assault, Prosecutor/Attorney General Misconduct.
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirms dismissal of Nebraska prisoner’s jail rape claim, Sept. 10, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Jail Specific.
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Limitations, Grievances.
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Failure to Protect (Juveniles).
- Study Finds Wrongful Convictions in 11.6 Percent of Sexual Assault Cases from Pre-DNA Testing Era, Sept. 4, 2018. Sexual Assault, DNA Testing/Samples, Wrongful Conviction.
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Escapes.
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.