by Matt Clarke
When New Mexico state prisoner Rhiannon Montoya was 36, she was incarcerated at the Rio Arriba County Jail. There she met guard Orlando Ulibarri, whom she accused of sexually assaulting her. Montoya complained about Ulibarri, who was subsequently fired for bringing contraband into the jail and possessing ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- They Thought They Were Going to Rehab. They Ended up in Chicken Plants, by Amy Julia Harris, Shoshana Walter
- News in Brief
- Florida Guard Gets 21 Months for Attacking Prisoner, Planting Weapon, by Monte McCoin
- OIG Report Slams CoreCivic’s Management of Leavenworth Prison, by Derek Gilna
- $160,000 Settles New Jersey Jail Class Action Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Private Prison CEO Heads Search for United Way Leader
- North Carolina Reforms Solitary Confinement Policies Following Vera Report, by Derek Gilna
- Assaultive Behavior by Michigan Prisoners Subject to Aggressive Prosecution
- Sentencing Project Report Examines Increasing Number of Life Sentences, by Derek Gilna
- New York: Inhumanity in the Guise of Education at Rikers Island Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Sanctions Against GEO Group Attorneys for Discovery Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: Injured Federal Detainee Meets Negligence Standard in Fall from Stool
- West Virginia Prisoner Injured on Work Crew Denied Workers’ Compensation
- Majority of Federal Prisoner’s Settlement Seized for Restitution; Tenth Circuit Affirms
- $950,000 Settles Mistreatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit Claims CoreCivic Allowed Corruption and Gangs to Flourish at Oklahoma Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- $10,000 Settles Kansas Suit Over Fall From Upper Bunk
- Florida: Private Prison Company Allowed to Overcharge State, Mistreat Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s Macomb County Jail Under Fire for Lack of Medical Care, Deaths, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s New Prison Food Service Provider Failing to Meet Contract Terms, by David Reutter
- $500,000 Settles Illinois Jail Suicide Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Cook County Strip-search Class-action Claimants to Receive Additional Payments, by Derek Gilna
- Drug Addicts Suffer Preventable Deaths in U.S. Jails, by Christopher Zoukis
- Controversy Surrounds Angola Prison Warden’s Retirement, Indictment of Family Members, by David Reutter
- $840,000 to Wrongfully Terminated Pennsylvania Jail Official
- Montana DOC Agrees to Modification of ADA Class-action Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- California Agency Addresses In-person Visits at Jails after Governor Vetoes Bill, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Times Reveals Racial Bias Rampant in Upstate New York Prisons, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment Order in Detainee’s Wrongful Death Suit
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- “Start by Believing” Initiative Creates Controversy, by Matthew Clarke
- Department of Justice Releases Reports on Prison and Jail Deaths, by Matthew Clarke
- Attica Medical Experiments Exposed, by Greg Dober
- $3.6 Million: California Prisoner Killed by Guards, by Matthew Clarke
- $1.23 Million Settles Indiana Jail Conditions Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Report Slams Takeover of Washington DOC Food Services by Correctional Industries, by Lonnie Burton
- Pennsylvania Class-action Targets Company Providing Inaccurate Background Checks, by Derek Gilna
- Arkansas Supreme Court: Religious Freedom Preliminary Injunction Requires Hearing
- Seventh Circuit: Court Erred in Dismissing Prisoner’s Suit for Failure to Include Trust Account Ledger, by Matthew Clarke
- Solitary to the Streets: Studies Find Such Releases Result in Higher Recidivism Rates, Violent Behavior, by Lonnie Burton
- Palestinian Prisoners Stage Hunger Strike, by Christopher Zoukis
- National Registry of Exonerations Report: Blacks Suffer More False Convictions, by Derek Gilna
- $8.4 Million Judgment in Defamation Suit, by Christopher Zoukis
- Utah Settles Federal Suit Alleging Delays in Competency Treatment for Pre-trial Detainees, by Derek Gilna
- New York State Prisoner’s Administrative Charges Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Correctional Complex at the Center of City’s Water Debacle, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Multiple Lawsuits Allege “Slave Labor” Under Guise of Drug Treatment, by Derek Gilna
- US Parole Activists Aim to Overhaul a Failing System, by Jean Trounstine
More from Matthew Clarke:
- 7th Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner's Civil Rights Lawsuit, April 20, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 20, 2018
- The ‘Office Shuffle’: Ohio Police Recycle Bad Apples Among Rural Departments, April 19, 2018
- Controversial Police Interrogation Technique That Often Results in False Confessions Abandoned by Influential Training Consultant, April 19, 2018
- Texas Quietly Authorizes Nation’s First Public Safety Employees Treatment Courts, April 19, 2018
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals Holds Defendant Entitled to Self-Defense Jury Charge if There is Any Evidence to Support It, April 19, 2018
- Tenth Circuit upholds class certification of immigration detainees forced to labor, April 16, 2018
- FBI Training Manuals, Guidelines May Be Exempt from FOIA Disclosure, April 16, 2018
More from these topics:
- Wisconsin’s 6,000-plus Untested Rape Kits Include Over 2,000 Involving Child Victims, April 19, 2018. Sexual Assault, Crime Labs, Juveniles.
- Tortured and Wrongly Held at Guantánamo for 14 Years, Abdul Zahir Now Has Freedom, but No Justice, April 12, 2018. Sexual Assault, Conditions of Confinement, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints, Political Prisoners (International).
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- The sex offender registry: It’s not what you think, March 29, 2018. Sexual Assault, Statistics/Trends.
- Statute of Limitations for Oregon Child Sex Abuse Claims Expires at Age 40, Not 24, March 6, 2018. Sexual Assault, Limitations, Juveniles.
- $242,500 Settles Jail Rape Suit in Okla., March 6, 2018. Sexual Assault, Prisoner-Visitor Assault, Jail Specific, Settlements.
- The High Cost of Texas Prison Rape Data, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Texas Asked Citizens to Fund Rape Kits, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Police.
- Ninth Circuit Blocks Deportation of ICE Detainee Who Received $125,000 for County Jail Rape, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Jail Specific, Immigration.
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.