by Derek Gilna
In May 2017, insurance companiesfor Cook County, Illinois preliminarily agreed to add $52 million to a previous settlement reached in 2010 concerning blanket strip searches of prisoners held at the Cook County Jail. The agreement resolved claims related to a federal class-action lawsuit filed by former prisoners ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- They Thought They Were Going to Rehab. They Ended up in Chicken Plants, by Amy Julia Harris, Shoshana Walter
- News in Brief
- Florida Guard Gets 21 Months for Attacking Prisoner, Planting Weapon, by Monte McCoin
- OIG Report Slams CoreCivic’s Management of Leavenworth Prison, by Derek Gilna
- $160,000 Settles New Jersey Jail Class Action Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Private Prison CEO Heads Search for United Way Leader
- North Carolina Reforms Solitary Confinement Policies Following Vera Report, by Derek Gilna
- Assaultive Behavior by Michigan Prisoners Subject to Aggressive Prosecution
- Sentencing Project Report Examines Increasing Number of Life Sentences, by Derek Gilna
- New York: Inhumanity in the Guise of Education at Rikers Island Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Sanctions Against GEO Group Attorneys for Discovery Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: Injured Federal Detainee Meets Negligence Standard in Fall from Stool
- West Virginia Prisoner Injured on Work Crew Denied Workers’ Compensation
- Majority of Federal Prisoner’s Settlement Seized for Restitution; Tenth Circuit Affirms
- $950,000 Settles Mistreatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit Claims CoreCivic Allowed Corruption and Gangs to Flourish at Oklahoma Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- $10,000 Settles Kansas Suit Over Fall From Upper Bunk
- Florida: Private Prison Company Allowed to Overcharge State, Mistreat Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s Macomb County Jail Under Fire for Lack of Medical Care, Deaths, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s New Prison Food Service Provider Failing to Meet Contract Terms, by David Reutter
- $500,000 Settles Illinois Jail Suicide Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Cook County Strip-search Class-action Claimants to Receive Additional Payments, by Derek Gilna
- Drug Addicts Suffer Preventable Deaths in U.S. Jails, by Christopher Zoukis
- Controversy Surrounds Angola Prison Warden’s Retirement, Indictment of Family Members, by David Reutter
- $840,000 to Wrongfully Terminated Pennsylvania Jail Official
- Montana DOC Agrees to Modification of ADA Class-action Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- California Agency Addresses In-person Visits at Jails after Governor Vetoes Bill, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Times Reveals Racial Bias Rampant in Upstate New York Prisons, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment Order in Detainee’s Wrongful Death Suit
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- “Start by Believing” Initiative Creates Controversy, by Matthew Clarke
- Department of Justice Releases Reports on Prison and Jail Deaths, by Matthew Clarke
- Attica Medical Experiments Exposed, by Greg Dober
- $3.6 Million: California Prisoner Killed by Guards, by Matthew Clarke
- $1.23 Million Settles Indiana Jail Conditions Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Report Slams Takeover of Washington DOC Food Services by Correctional Industries, by Lonnie Burton
- Pennsylvania Class-action Targets Company Providing Inaccurate Background Checks, by Derek Gilna
- Arkansas Supreme Court: Religious Freedom Preliminary Injunction Requires Hearing
- Seventh Circuit: Court Erred in Dismissing Prisoner’s Suit for Failure to Include Trust Account Ledger, by Matthew Clarke
- Solitary to the Streets: Studies Find Such Releases Result in Higher Recidivism Rates, Violent Behavior, by Lonnie Burton
- Palestinian Prisoners Stage Hunger Strike, by Christopher Zoukis
- National Registry of Exonerations Report: Blacks Suffer More False Convictions, by Derek Gilna
- $8.4 Million Judgment in Defamation Suit, by Christopher Zoukis
- Utah Settles Federal Suit Alleging Delays in Competency Treatment for Pre-trial Detainees, by Derek Gilna
- New York State Prisoner’s Administrative Charges Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Correctional Complex at the Center of City’s Water Debacle, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Multiple Lawsuits Allege “Slave Labor” Under Guise of Drug Treatment, by Derek Gilna
- US Parole Activists Aim to Overhaul a Failing System, by Jean Trounstine
More from Derek Gilna:
- New York Times Investigation Spotlights NYPD Practice of ‘Testilying’, April 19, 2018
- New Washington State Law Removes ‘Actual Malice’ Roadblock in Police Prosecutions, April 19, 2018
- $325,000 Paid by Sheriff’s Office to Settle Fatal Shooting Case Over Not Wearing Seat Belt, April 19, 2018
- Privacy Advocates Concerned About Google AI and Pentagon Drone Surveillance, April 19, 2018
- Former Civil Rights Lawyer Krasner Puts Justice Reform into Practice as New Philly DA, April 19, 2018
- Trenton Police Officers’ ‘Violent’ Comments Captured on Body Camera, April 19, 2018
- Study: Unionized Police? Increased Misconduct, April 19, 2018
- Despite Class-action Settlement, Mental Healthcare Problems at CA Jail Persist, April 2, 2018
- U.S. Sentencing Commission Report: Racial Disparities Persist, April 2, 2018
- Prisoners in Kenya and New Zealand, Unlike Counterparts in U.S., Win Right to Vote, April 2, 2018
More from these topics:
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional, April 2, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Work Conditions/Safety, Strip Searches, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Cops Strip Search Woman in Public...Charges Dropped, March 12, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches.
- Illinois Sheriff Settles Federal Class-action Suit Over Strip Searches, March 6, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches, Class Certification, Class Notice.
- Fifth Circuit Okays Mississippi County’s Strip Search of 12-Year-Old Girl, March 6, 2018. Searches, Strip Searches, Juveniles.
- $70,000 Settlement to Female Prison Visitor Who Was Strip-Searched, Dec. 27, 2017. Strip Searches.
- Seventh Circuit Rejects Demand for Recusal in Milwaukee Strip-Search Cases, Dec. 27, 2017. Judicial Misconduct, Strip Searches.
- Third Circuit Okays Blanket Strip-Search Policy for Juvenile Detainees, Dec. 13, 2017. Strip Searches, Juveniles.
- $7,500,000 Class-Action Settlement for Illegal Strip-Searches in Camden, NJ , Aug. 7, 2017. Strip Searches, Bail.
- “A Living Nightmare”, Feb. 17, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Searches, Strip Searches, Visitor Searches, Body Cavity Searches, Pat Searches, Jail Specific, Visiting.
- Orange Crush: The Rise of Tactical Teams in Prison, Feb. 8, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Prison Rebellion, Prison Gangs, Cell Searches, Strip Searches, Totality of Conditions, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Water, Arrest and Booking, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Guards/Staff.