by Derek Gilna
In May 2017, insurance companiesfor Cook County, Illinois preliminarily agreed to add $52 million to a previous settlement reached in 2010 concerning blanket strip searches of prisoners held at the Cook County Jail. The agreement resolved claims related to a federal class-action lawsuit filed by former prisoners ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- They Thought They Were Going to Rehab. They Ended up in Chicken Plants, by Amy Julia Harris, Shoshana Walter
- News in Brief
- Florida Guard Gets 21 Months for Attacking Prisoner, Planting Weapon, by Monte McCoin
- OIG Report Slams CoreCivic’s Management of Leavenworth Prison, by Derek Gilna
- $160,000 Settles New Jersey Jail Class Action Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Private Prison CEO Heads Search for United Way Leader
- North Carolina Reforms Solitary Confinement Policies Following Vera Report, by Derek Gilna
- Assaultive Behavior by Michigan Prisoners Subject to Aggressive Prosecution
- Sentencing Project Report Examines Increasing Number of Life Sentences, by Derek Gilna
- New York: Inhumanity in the Guise of Education at Rikers Island Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Sanctions Against GEO Group Attorneys for Discovery Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, by Matthew Clarke
- Seventh Circuit: Injured Federal Detainee Meets Negligence Standard in Fall from Stool
- West Virginia Prisoner Injured on Work Crew Denied Workers’ Compensation
- Majority of Federal Prisoner’s Settlement Seized for Restitution; Tenth Circuit Affirms
- $950,000 Settles Mistreatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner, by Derek Gilna
- Lawsuit Claims CoreCivic Allowed Corruption and Gangs to Flourish at Oklahoma Prison, by Matthew Clarke
- $10,000 Settles Kansas Suit Over Fall From Upper Bunk
- Florida: Private Prison Company Allowed to Overcharge State, Mistreat Prisoners, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s Macomb County Jail Under Fire for Lack of Medical Care, Deaths, by David Reutter
- Michigan’s New Prison Food Service Provider Failing to Meet Contract Terms, by David Reutter
- $500,000 Settles Illinois Jail Suicide Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Cook County Strip-search Class-action Claimants to Receive Additional Payments, by Derek Gilna
- Drug Addicts Suffer Preventable Deaths in U.S. Jails, by Christopher Zoukis
- Controversy Surrounds Angola Prison Warden’s Retirement, Indictment of Family Members, by David Reutter
- $840,000 to Wrongfully Terminated Pennsylvania Jail Official
- Montana DOC Agrees to Modification of ADA Class-action Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- California Agency Addresses In-person Visits at Jails after Governor Vetoes Bill, by Lonnie Burton
- New York Times Reveals Racial Bias Rampant in Upstate New York Prisons, by Lonnie Burton
- Eighth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment Order in Detainee’s Wrongful Death Suit
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- “Start by Believing” Initiative Creates Controversy, by Matthew Clarke
- Department of Justice Releases Reports on Prison and Jail Deaths, by Matthew Clarke
- Attica Medical Experiments Exposed, by Greg Dober
- $3.6 Million: California Prisoner Killed by Guards, by Matthew Clarke
- $1.23 Million Settles Indiana Jail Conditions Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Report Slams Takeover of Washington DOC Food Services by Correctional Industries, by Lonnie Burton
- Pennsylvania Class-action Targets Company Providing Inaccurate Background Checks, by Derek Gilna
- Arkansas Supreme Court: Religious Freedom Preliminary Injunction Requires Hearing
- Seventh Circuit: Court Erred in Dismissing Prisoner’s Suit for Failure to Include Trust Account Ledger, by Matthew Clarke
- Solitary to the Streets: Studies Find Such Releases Result in Higher Recidivism Rates, Violent Behavior, by Lonnie Burton
- Palestinian Prisoners Stage Hunger Strike, by Christopher Zoukis
- National Registry of Exonerations Report: Blacks Suffer More False Convictions, by Derek Gilna
- $8.4 Million Judgment in Defamation Suit, by Christopher Zoukis
- Utah Settles Federal Suit Alleging Delays in Competency Treatment for Pre-trial Detainees, by Derek Gilna
- New York State Prisoner’s Administrative Charges Dismissed, by Derek Gilna
- Federal Correctional Complex at the Center of City’s Water Debacle, by Panagioti Tsolkas
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Multiple Lawsuits Allege “Slave Labor” Under Guise of Drug Treatment, by Derek Gilna
- US Parole Activists Aim to Overhaul a Failing System, by Jean Trounstine
More from Derek Gilna:
- Denver Under Fire For Law That Critics Describe as Legalized ‘Car Stealing’, July 21, 2018
- Daily Caller Investigation Lays Opiate Crisis at Feet of DEA, July 20, 2018
- Lawsuit Filed in Death of Kentucky Prisoner Held in Five-point Restraints, July 6, 2018
- Troubles at California Jail Lead Sheriff to Forgo Reelection, July 6, 2018
- Wisconsin Paid Former Prison Employees $105,000 to Settle Harassment Cases, July 6, 2018
- ACLU Reaches Confidential Settlement in CIA Detainee Torture Lawsuit, July 6, 2018
- Exonerated Prisoner Awarded $15 Million for Misconduct by Baltimore Police, July 2, 2018
- Settlement in Class-action ADA Suit Against Shasta County, California Jail, July 2, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court: Prevailing Prisoners Must Pay 25 Percent of Damage Awards Towards Attorney Fees, July 2, 2018
- Supreme Court Reverses Ninth Circuit Ruling Banning Pretrial Full-body Shackling, July 2, 2018
More from these topics:
- $25,000 Settlement Offer from NYPD over Assault, False Arrest Accepted by Parolee, July 8, 2018. Strip Searches, False Arrest, Excessive Force (Police).
- $30,000 Settlement for Brooklyn Man Falsely Arrested by NYPD, July 8, 2018. Strip Searches, War on Drugs, False Arrest.
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional, April 2, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Work Conditions/Safety, Strip Searches, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Cops Strip Search Woman in Public...Charges Dropped, March 12, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches.
- Illinois Sheriff Settles Federal Class-action Suit Over Strip Searches, March 6, 2018. Police Misconduct, Strip Searches, Class Certification, Class Notice.
- Fifth Circuit Okays Mississippi County’s Strip Search of 12-Year-Old Girl, March 6, 2018. Searches, Strip Searches, Juveniles.
- $70,000 Settlement to Female Prison Visitor Who Was Strip-Searched, Dec. 27, 2017. Strip Searches.
- Seventh Circuit Rejects Demand for Recusal in Milwaukee Strip-Search Cases, Dec. 27, 2017. Judicial Misconduct, Strip Searches.
- Third Circuit Okays Blanket Strip-Search Policy for Juvenile Detainees, Dec. 13, 2017. Strip Searches, Juveniles.
- $7,500,000 Class-Action Settlement for Illegal Strip-Searches in Camden, NJ , Aug. 7, 2017. Strip Searches, Bail.