by David Reutter
Cook County, Illinois has paid $4.75 million to settle a federal lawsuit alleging it failed to provide doctor-ordered accommodations for a pretrial detainee who suffered seizures.
In October 2014, Michael Joseph Borys was booked into the Cook County Jail on a misdemeanor charge. He was seen ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Solitary Instead of Treatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner Costs New Mexico Jail $2 Million, by R. Bailey
- Sixth Circuit: § 1983 Actions Classified as Personal Injury Claims, by David Reutter
- Family of Deceased Colorado Prisoner Accepts Settlement for $5.3 Million, New Policies, by Edward Lyon
- South Dakota Prisoner Fights Porn Ban in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, by David Reutter
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, by David Reutter
- Jury Awards Federal Prisoner $675,000 in Retaliation, Excessive Force Bivens Case, by Jeremy Pinson
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, by Matthew Clarke
- Study Finds Wrongful Convictions in 11.6 Percent of Sexual Assault Cases from Pre-DNA Testing Era
- Prison Grievance Coordinator’s Responses Rendered Administrative Remedies Unavailable, by David Reutter
- With Help from ACLU, Parolee Wins $10,000 Settlement Plus $100,000 in Attorney Fees, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Settles Suit Over Rape and Beating of Transgender Prisoner
- With 27 Percent Unemployment, Jobs Crisis Hits Ex-prisoners the Hardest, by Steve Horn
- Maine: Superior Court’s Dismissal for Lack of Jurisdiction Not Supported by the Record, by Dale Chappell
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, by Derek Gilna
- New Orleans Parish Court System has Unconstitutional Funding Practices, by David Reutter
- NC Escape Attempt that Left Four Dead Leads to Reforms, Increased Punishment
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, by Matthew Clarke
- Privacy Interests Outweigh Public Interest in Disclosure of AUSA Termination Letter, by David Reutter
- New Rule Sparks Uprising at California Sex Offender Civil Commitment Facility, by Matthew Clarke
- Private Prison Operator Emerald Corrections Out of Business, by Steve Horn
- Two Chicago Prisoners, Released Due to Police Misconduct, Seized by ICE, by Derek Gilna
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Nevada County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $500,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Judge Voids Contract Between Death Row Exoneree and Attorney, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Retaliation, Conspiracy Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Lack of FCC Action, States Can Still Make Prison and Jail Calls Affordable, by Dale Chappell
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, by David Reutter
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, by Matthew Clarke
- Dozens of Lawsuits Against Correct Care Solutions for Sometimes Fatal Denial of Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles County Settles Lawsuit over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $1.7 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits
- Former Mexican Mafia General Turned Informant Receives $25,000 from GEO Group, 20 Years in Prison from Feds, by Matthew Clarke
- Minnesota Prisoner Wins Reprieve from Jail Debt in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- Virginia Prisoner Defeats Summary Judgment, Settles Religious Diet Case, by Edward Lyon
- Top Federal Death Penalty Lawyer Demoted, Reassigned, by Christopher Zoukis
- Protesters Blockade CoreCivic Headquarters in Nashville; 19 Arrests
- Washington Prisoner Has First Amendment Right to Threaten to File Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $3.5 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Files Suit Against FDOC Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Starvation Death
- Ohio City, Medical Center Settle Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $210,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Issues Injunction Over Conditions on Virginia’s Death Row, by Matthew Clarke
- Some Arizona Prison Logs Show Temperatures up to 119 Degrees; Others Falsified, by Matthew Clarke
- New CNN Film, “American Jail,” Shows How the Poor Get – and Stay – Incarcerated, by Steve Horn
- Illinois: $4.75 Million Settlement in Jail Seizure Injury Case, by David Reutter
- Oklahoma Prisoners, Advocacy Group File Short-lived Lawsuit Alleging Corruption, by Matthew Clarke
- California Supreme Court Modifies Settlement to Revise Parole Process, by Derek Gilna
- Florida Board Rules Convicted Prison Guard Can’t Collect Retirement Benefits, by Monte McCoin
- JPay Vulnerability Exploited by Idaho Prisoners for $225,000 in Credits, by Steve Horn
- Lawsuit, Ballot Initiative Seek to Reform Felon Disenfranchisement in Florida, by David Reutter
- Pennsylvania: Class-action Suit Against USP Lewisburg Reinstated, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Rikers Island Beat Down Suit Settles for $165,000, but Victim Won’t See a Penny, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
- At the Federal Supermax, When Does Isolation Become Torture?, by Alan Prendergast
More from David Reutter:
- Florida Private Prisons Seek $4 Million for Employee Raises, Dec. 7, 2018
- Alabama Prisoner in Failed Execution Attempt will Not Face Another, Dec. 5, 2018
- First Circuit Orders Resentencing Where Trial Counsel Failed to Secure Three-Level Reduction Under Sentencing Guidelines, Dec. 4, 2018
- Snarky Facebook Post Not True Threat; Officers Denied Qualified Immunity, Dec. 4, 2018
- CCS Seeks to Hide Internal Review in Jail Detainee’s Death; $180,000 Settlement, Nov. 6, 2018
- Alaska Supreme Court Reverses Disciplinary Case Where Prisoner Not Allowed to Call Witnesses, Nov. 6, 2018
- Contraband Found in Prisoner’s Rectum Supports Conviction, Nov. 6, 2018
- Public Outcry Forces Florida DOC to Back Down on Limits to In-Person Visitation, Nov. 6, 2018
- Indiana Supreme Court Announces Single Act of Resisting Police Bars Multiple Counts, Regardless of Number of Officers Involved or People Killed, Oct. 31, 2018
- Texas Supreme Court Interprets State’s Expungement Statute, Oct. 28, 2018
More from these topics:
- $375,000-plus Settlement in Wrongful Death Suit Against Jail, Dec. 13, 2018. Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat.
- Washington: Jail Detainee Obtains $1 Million Settlement for Spinal Injury, Nov. 6, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- On the Inside: The Chaos of Arizona Prison Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Corizon, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, Oct. 12, 2018. Medication, Cancer, Failure to Treat.
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, Oct. 12, 2018. Seizures, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018. Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Release and Reentry.
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, Sept. 4, 2018. OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Mothers in Prison, Children of Prisoners.
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018. LaSalle Management Company, Diabetes, Failure to Treat, Settlements.
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, Sept. 3, 2018. Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat, Totality of Conditions.