by David Reutter
Cook County, Illinois has paid $4.75 million to settle a federal lawsuit alleging it failed to provide doctor-ordered accommodations for a pretrial detainee who suffered seizures.
In October 2014, Michael Joseph Borys was booked into the Cook County Jail on a misdemeanor charge. He was seen ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Solitary Instead of Treatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner Costs New Mexico Jail $2 Million, by R. Bailey
- Sixth Circuit: § 1983 Actions Classified as Personal Injury Claims, by David Reutter
- Family of Deceased Colorado Prisoner Accepts Settlement for $5.3 Million, New Policies, by Edward Lyon
- South Dakota Prisoner Fights Porn Ban in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, by David Reutter
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, by David Reutter
- Jury Awards Federal Prisoner $675,000 in Retaliation, Excessive Force Bivens Case, by Jeremy Pinson
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, by Matthew Clarke
- Study Finds Wrongful Convictions in 11.6 Percent of Sexual Assault Cases from Pre-DNA Testing Era
- Prison Grievance Coordinator’s Responses Rendered Administrative Remedies Unavailable, by David Reutter
- With Help from ACLU, Parolee Wins $10,000 Settlement Plus $100,000 in Attorney Fees, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Settles Suit Over Rape and Beating of Transgender Prisoner
- With 27 Percent Unemployment, Jobs Crisis Hits Ex-prisoners the Hardest, by Steve Horn
- Maine: Superior Court’s Dismissal for Lack of Jurisdiction Not Supported by the Record, by Dale Chappell
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, by Derek Gilna
- New Orleans Parish Court System has Unconstitutional Funding Practices, by David Reutter
- NC Escape Attempt that Left Four Dead Leads to Reforms, Increased Punishment
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, by Matthew Clarke
- Privacy Interests Outweigh Public Interest in Disclosure of AUSA Termination Letter, by David Reutter
- New Rule Sparks Uprising at California Sex Offender Civil Commitment Facility, by Matthew Clarke
- Private Prison Operator Emerald Corrections Out of Business, by Steve Horn
- Two Chicago Prisoners, Released Due to Police Misconduct, Seized by ICE, by Derek Gilna
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Nevada County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $500,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Judge Voids Contract Between Death Row Exoneree and Attorney, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Retaliation, Conspiracy Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Lack of FCC Action, States Can Still Make Prison and Jail Calls Affordable, by Dale Chappell
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, by David Reutter
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, by Matthew Clarke
- Dozens of Lawsuits Against Correct Care Solutions for Sometimes Fatal Denial of Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles County Settles Lawsuit over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $1.7 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits
- Former Mexican Mafia General Turned Informant Receives $25,000 from GEO Group, 20 Years in Prison from Feds, by Matthew Clarke
- Minnesota Prisoner Wins Reprieve from Jail Debt in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- Virginia Prisoner Defeats Summary Judgment, Settles Religious Diet Case, by Edward Lyon
- Top Federal Death Penalty Lawyer Demoted, Reassigned, by Christopher Zoukis
- Protesters Blockade CoreCivic Headquarters in Nashville; 19 Arrests
- Washington Prisoner Has First Amendment Right to Threaten to File Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $3.5 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Files Suit Against FDOC Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Starvation Death
- Ohio City, Medical Center Settle Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $210,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Issues Injunction Over Conditions on Virginia’s Death Row, by Matthew Clarke
- Some Arizona Prison Logs Show Temperatures up to 119 Degrees; Others Falsified, by Matthew Clarke
- New CNN Film, “American Jail,” Shows How the Poor Get – and Stay – Incarcerated, by Steve Horn
- Illinois: $4.75 Million Settlement in Jail Seizure Injury Case, by David Reutter
- Oklahoma Prisoners, Advocacy Group File Short-lived Lawsuit Alleging Corruption, by Matthew Clarke
- California Supreme Court Modifies Settlement to Revise Parole Process, by Derek Gilna
- Florida Board Rules Convicted Prison Guard Can’t Collect Retirement Benefits, by Monte McCoin
- JPay Vulnerability Exploited by Idaho Prisoners for $225,000 in Credits, by Steve Horn
- Lawsuit, Ballot Initiative Seek to Reform Felon Disenfranchisement in Florida, by David Reutter
- Pennsylvania: Class-action Suit Against USP Lewisburg Reinstated, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Rikers Island Beat Down Suit Settles for $165,000, but Victim Won’t See a Penny, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
- At the Federal Supermax, When Does Isolation Become Torture?, by Alan Prendergast
More from David Reutter:
- CoreCivic’s Actions Against Sexual Harassment Compel Reversal of Jury Verdict, Oct. 3, 2018
- Sixth Circuit Rules Relying on Search Warrant Based on ‘Bare Bones’ Affidavit Objectively Unreasonable, Grants Motion to Suppress, Sept. 23, 2018
- Hawaii Supreme Court Vacates Conviction Because Defendant’s Waiver of Right to Testify Deficient Under State’s Tachibana Colloquy Requirement, Sept. 23, 2018
- 1st Circuit: No Protective Sweep Where Identified Suspects Already in Custody at Time of Warrantless Search, Sept. 23, 2018
- 11th Circuit Rules Immigration Judges are United States Judges for Purposes of 18 U.S.C. § 115(a)(1)(B), Sept. 23, 2018
- Archaic Disciplinary System Allows Chicago Police to Delay Punishment, Sept. 23, 2018
- 10th Circuit: Oklahoma’s Second-Degree Burglary Not an ACCA Qualifying Offense, Sept. 23, 2018
- Sixth Circuit: § 1983 Actions Classified as Personal Injury Claims, Sept. 5, 2018
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, Sept. 5, 2018
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, Sept. 5, 2018
More from these topics:
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, Oct. 12, 2018. Medication, Cancer, Failure to Treat.
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, Oct. 12, 2018. Seizures, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, Sept. 5, 2018. Failure to Treat, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Release and Reentry.
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, Sept. 4, 2018. OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Mothers in Prison, Children of Prisoners.
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, Sept. 3, 2018. LaSalle Management Company, Diabetes, Failure to Treat, Settlements.
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, Sept. 3, 2018. Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat, Totality of Conditions.
- Ninth Circuit rules on 'pattern of behavior' issue in Corizon Health case, Sept. 1, 2018. Cancer, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment.
- $750,000 Settlement Paid by California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for Wrongful Death, Aug. 23, 2018. Failure to Treat, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- California Prisoner Moved to Formerly Condemned Facility with No Bed Settles Civil Rights Suit, July 26, 2018. Pain, Failure to Treat, Totality of Conditions, Eighth Amendment, Bedding, Fourteenth Amendment, rights, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.