by Matt Clarke
In November 2017, Summit County, Colorado reached a $3.5 million settlement in a lawsuit brought by the family of a prisoner who died at the county’s jail.
Zachary Moffitt, 33, was being treated for acute alcohol poisoning in a hospital emergency room when he pulled out ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Solitary Instead of Treatment of Mentally Ill Prisoner Costs New Mexico Jail $2 Million, by R. Bailey
- Sixth Circuit: § 1983 Actions Classified as Personal Injury Claims, by David Reutter
- Family of Deceased Colorado Prisoner Accepts Settlement for $5.3 Million, New Policies, by Edward Lyon
- South Dakota Prisoner Fights Porn Ban in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, by David Reutter
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, by David Reutter
- Jury Awards Federal Prisoner $675,000 in Retaliation, Excessive Force Bivens Case, by Jeremy Pinson
- Lawsuit Alleges Texas County Jailers Beat, Paralyzed Prisoner, by Matthew Clarke
- Study Finds Wrongful Convictions in 11.6 Percent of Sexual Assault Cases from Pre-DNA Testing Era
- Prison Grievance Coordinator’s Responses Rendered Administrative Remedies Unavailable, by David Reutter
- With Help from ACLU, Parolee Wins $10,000 Settlement Plus $100,000 in Attorney Fees, by Derek Gilna
- Texas Settles Suit Over Rape and Beating of Transgender Prisoner
- With 27 Percent Unemployment, Jobs Crisis Hits Ex-prisoners the Hardest, by Steve Horn
- Maine: Superior Court’s Dismissal for Lack of Jurisdiction Not Supported by the Record, by Dale Chappell
- Canadian Woman Wins Settlement for Death of Son Born in Jail, by Derek Gilna
- New Orleans Parish Court System has Unconstitutional Funding Practices, by David Reutter
- NC Escape Attempt that Left Four Dead Leads to Reforms, Increased Punishment
- Mother of Prisoner Who Died at Texarkana Jail Challenges $200,000 Settlement; Nurse Pleads Guilty, by Matthew Clarke
- Privacy Interests Outweigh Public Interest in Disclosure of AUSA Termination Letter, by David Reutter
- New Rule Sparks Uprising at California Sex Offender Civil Commitment Facility, by Matthew Clarke
- Private Prison Operator Emerald Corrections Out of Business, by Steve Horn
- Two Chicago Prisoners, Released Due to Police Misconduct, Seized by ICE, by Derek Gilna
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders, by Matthew Clarke
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Nevada County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $500,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Judge Voids Contract Between Death Row Exoneree and Attorney, by David Reutter
- Fifth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Federal Prisoner’s Retaliation, Conspiracy Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Despite Lack of FCC Action, States Can Still Make Prison and Jail Calls Affordable, by Dale Chappell
- Georgia Medical Prison Rife with Dysfunction, Abuse and Dilapidated Conditions, by David Reutter
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, by Matthew Clarke
- Dozens of Lawsuits Against Correct Care Solutions for Sometimes Fatal Denial of Medical Treatment, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles County Settles Lawsuit over Jail Prisoner’s Suicide for $1.7 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits
- Former Mexican Mafia General Turned Informant Receives $25,000 from GEO Group, 20 Years in Prison from Feds, by Matthew Clarke
- Minnesota Prisoner Wins Reprieve from Jail Debt in Federal Court, by Edward Lyon
- Virginia Prisoner Defeats Summary Judgment, Settles Religious Diet Case, by Edward Lyon
- Top Federal Death Penalty Lawyer Demoted, Reassigned, by Christopher Zoukis
- Protesters Blockade CoreCivic Headquarters in Nashville; 19 Arrests
- Washington Prisoner Has First Amendment Right to Threaten to File Suit, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado County Settles Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $3.5 Million, by Matthew Clarke
- HRDC Files Suit Against FDOC Over Mentally Ill Prisoner’s Starvation Death
- Ohio City, Medical Center Settle Lawsuit Over Jail Prisoner’s Death for $210,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Federal Court Issues Injunction Over Conditions on Virginia’s Death Row, by Matthew Clarke
- Some Arizona Prison Logs Show Temperatures up to 119 Degrees; Others Falsified, by Matthew Clarke
- New CNN Film, “American Jail,” Shows How the Poor Get – and Stay – Incarcerated, by Steve Horn
- Illinois: $4.75 Million Settlement in Jail Seizure Injury Case, by David Reutter
- Oklahoma Prisoners, Advocacy Group File Short-lived Lawsuit Alleging Corruption, by Matthew Clarke
- California Supreme Court Modifies Settlement to Revise Parole Process, by Derek Gilna
- Florida Board Rules Convicted Prison Guard Can’t Collect Retirement Benefits, by Monte McCoin
- JPay Vulnerability Exploited by Idaho Prisoners for $225,000 in Credits, by Steve Horn
- Lawsuit, Ballot Initiative Seek to Reform Felon Disenfranchisement in Florida, by David Reutter
- Pennsylvania: Class-action Suit Against USP Lewisburg Reinstated, by Derek Gilna
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Rikers Island Beat Down Suit Settles for $165,000, but Victim Won’t See a Penny, by Christopher Zoukis
- News in Brief
- At the Federal Supermax, When Does Isolation Become Torture?, by Alan Prendergast
More from Matthew Clarke:
- West Virginia Supreme Court Vacates Sentence After State Violates Plea Bargain by Making Recommendation at Sentencing, Jan. 18, 2019
- Tenth Circuit Clarifies Proper Test for Pretrial Hearing on Seized Assets Needed to Retain Counsel, Jan. 18, 2019
- America’s Cities Are Criminalizing Homelessness, Jan. 17, 2019
- Aging Prison Population Finds Parole Elusive, Jan. 8, 2019
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019
- Seventh Circuit Vacates Conditions of Supervised Release Following Child Pornography Conviction, Dec. 28, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Grants Habeas for IAC of Resentencing Counsel Who Failed to Challenge Sole Aggravating Factor or Investigate Mitigating Circumstances, Dec. 21, 2018
- Kansas Supreme Court Holds Travel Plan Questions Unconstitutionally Extended Traffic Stop, Dec. 20, 2018
- Ohio Prison Officials Announce Measures to Prevent Another Transport Bus Murder, Dec. 5, 2018
- Tenth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of Gang Member’s Failure-to-Protect Lawsuit, Dec. 5, 2018
More from these topics:
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $3.279 Million in Costs and Fees Awarded in Wrongful Death Suit Involving Epileptic Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Ohio County Jail Faces Increased Liability Due to Numerous Lawsuits, Jan. 8, 2019. Excessive Force, Immunity/Liability, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $750,000 Settlement for Family of Man Who Died in Illinois Jail, Jan. 8, 2019. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Florida Detainee Died from Deliberate Indifference to Septic Shock, Lawsuit Charges, Dec. 5, 2018. Medical Misconduct, Blood, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- New Mexico Prisoners Suffer and Die Under Privatized Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Wexford Health Services, Corizon, Centurion, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- CCS Seeks to Hide Internal Review in Jail Detainee’s Death; $180,000 Settlement, Nov. 6, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Medication, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Private Contractors, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Washington: Jail Detainee Obtains $1 Million Settlement for Spinal Injury, Nov. 6, 2018. Skeletal Injury, Failure to Treat, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- On the Inside: The Chaos of Arizona Prison Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Corizon, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, Oct. 12, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.