Loaded on Sept. 15, 2011 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News September, 2011, page 23
After being convicted of drug offenses in 2003, Christina Chao, 31, was sent to SMCC.
Shortly thereafter she began having sex with prison ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Remembering Attica Forty Years Later, by Dennis Cunningham
- Extra Earned Time Sentence Reductions Save Oregon $25 Million
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- 800,000 Ex-Offenders Regain Voting Rights – 5.3 Million More to Go
- Female Prisoners Removed from CCA Facility in Kentucky
- PLN Files Censorship Suit Against Michigan Jail over “Postcard Only” Policy
- Reform Comes to Maine Supermax: New commissioner cuts population by more than half; prisoner rights advocates help in the reform, by Lance Tapley
- $73,700 Jury Award for Guard’s Sexual Encounters with Massachusetts Prisoner, by David Reutter
- New Mexico Spends $20 Million in Federal Stimulus Money to Fund Prison Jobs
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Tennessee’s Financial Obligation Re-Enfranchisement Law, by Mark Wilson
- Ninth Circuit Finds Maricopa County Jail’s Cross-Gender Strip Searches Unreasonable
- $60 Million in Strip Search Settlements for Cook County Jail Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- California: OAL Disapproves Proposed Parole Board Regulation Formalizing Lifer Risk Assessments, by Michael Brodheim
- Feds Pay Wrongfully Convicted D.C. Men $1.9 Million
- Florida Reenacts Reconstruction-Era Felon Disenfranchisement Rule, by David Reutter
- EEOC Files Suit Against GEO Group for Sexual Harassment at Arizona Prisons
- Georgia Deputy Fired for Refusing Threesome with Sheriff
- Feds Intervene in Suit, Allege “Sadistic” Stun Gun Use at Ohio Jail; Jail Settles, by Brandon Sample
- Federal Court Dismisses Virginia Lifers’ Parole Suit
- New Laws Improve Job Prospects for Former Prisoners
- Florida Prisoner’s Suicide Suit Settles for $500,000
- $85,000 Settlement in Philadelphia Wrongful Imprisonment Suit
- Former Federal Prisoner Seeks Almost $280,000 in Attorney Fees from BOP
- Prisoners Used to Clean Foreclosed Houses in Georgia
- Third Circuit Upholds Unanimity Requirement for Pennsylvania Pardon Recommendations
- Texas Chaplain Who Complained of Jail Conditions Reinstated, Suit Settled
- Protective Order Denied in Privately Run Florida Juvenile Facility Class-Action Suit, by David Reutter
- $4.5 Million Settlement in Texas County Jail Strip Search Suit
- Florida’s House Speaker Wants to Quicken Executions, by David Reutter
- Third Circuit Upholds Pennsylvania Sex Offender Treatment Parole Requirement, by Mark Wilson
- Michigan Prisoner’s Failure to Protect Case Settles for $100,000
- Florida Courts Criticize Indefinite Detention While Awaiting Civil Commitment Trials
- North Carolina Prisoner’s First-Degree Murder Conviction is Valid Basis to Deny Awarding Good Time Credits, by David Reutter
- Parole Violator Leaps to Death at Alaskan Jail
- North Carolina Jail Prisoner Housed with TB Infected Cellmate Receives $2,250 Settlement
- New Mexico State Auditor Investigates Prison Contracts
- Washington State Closes McNeil Island Prison, by David Reutter
- Canadian Prison Guards Hold Prisoners at Gunpoint for 10 Days
- Smoke ’Em if You Got ’Em, Says Oklahoma DOC
- California: Orange County Jail System Ordered to Remedy ADA Violations, by Michael Brodheim
- Oregon Settles Prisoner’s Heart Failure Medical Mistreatment Case for $390,000, by Mark Wilson
- Arizona County to Pay Ex-Prisoner $325,000 in Jail Guard Beating
- An American Radical: Political Prisoner in My Own Country, by Susan Rosenberg (Kensington Publishing Corp. 2011), 400 pages, $14.95 paperback
- UNICOR Wins $20 Million No-Bid Body Armor Contract
- Federal Stimulus Money Not Spent as Intended by San Diego County Probation Department
- Paperwork SNAFU Leaves Mentally Ill Woman Jailed in Louisiana for Eight Months
- California State Auditor Reports on CDCR Malfeasance
- Official Capacity Not the Same as Governmental Agency in Texas Civil Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- News In Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Tracking the Prevalence of Police Crime, Jan. 18, 2019
- Georgia Supreme Court: Asportation Required to Support Kidnapping Conviction, Jan. 18, 2019
- Former Guard Who Scalded Florida Prisoner to Death Hired, Fired by Police Department, Jan. 8, 2019
- Ninth Circuit Holds Undisclosed Relationship Between Murdered FBI Agent and Presiding Judge in Capital Case Created Intolerable Risk of Judicial Bias, Warranting Habeas Relief, Dec. 28, 2018
- Ninth Circuit Rules California Robbery Not a ‘Crime of Violence’ in Light of Dimaya and Allows Withdrawal of Guilty Plea, Dec. 28, 2018
- Seventh Circuit: Procedural Error Occurs When Miscount of Prior Convictions Basis for Sentence, Resentencing Required, Dec. 21, 2018
- Florida Private Prisons Seek $4 Million for Employee Raises, Dec. 7, 2018
- Alabama Prisoner in Failed Execution Attempt will Not Face Another, Dec. 5, 2018
- First Circuit Orders Resentencing Where Trial Counsel Failed to Secure Three-Level Reduction Under Sentencing Guidelines, Dec. 4, 2018
- Snarky Facebook Post Not True Threat; Officers Denied Qualified Immunity, Dec. 4, 2018
More from these topics:
- Sixth Circuit: Tennessee Aggravated Sexual Battery Is Not a SORNA Tier III Offense, Jan. 18, 2019. Sexual Assault, Appeals, Sentencing.
- Metropolitan Detention Center Guards Convicted in Sex Abuse Scandal, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Misconduct/Corruption.
- $1 Million Award for Two Women Sexually Assaulted by Florida Jail Guard, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- DOJ Launches Investigation into Abuse at Florida Women’s Prison, Jan. 8, 2019. Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Misconduct/Corruption, Gender Discrimination -- Women, Conditions of Confinement.
- BJS Report Finds Prisoner Sexual Abuse Allegations Continue to Rise, Dec. 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Statistics/Trends, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- Dismissal of Pro Se Prisoner’s Sexual Assault, Excessive Force Case Reversed, Dec. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Multiple Charges, Lawsuits Filed Against Lackawanna Prison Staff for Sexual Abuse, Dec. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct.
- Investigation of Central New York Central Psychiatric Center Turns Up Drugs, Nov. 18, 2018. Sexual Assault, Mental Health, Staff Training.
- Pennsylvania: Allegheny County Jail Settles Sexual Assault Claim for $32,000, Nov. 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades, Oct. 12, 2018. Sexual Assault, Attorney Misconduct.