Loaded on March 15, 2012 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News March, 2012, page 24
Members of the public typically have little concern over what happens in the jails and prisons in their communities. Taxpayers in Custer County, Oklahoma, however, are now very concerned following a $10 million settlement in a lawsuit involving female prisoners who were subjected to rampant sexual ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- How Victim Rights Shaped Spending, Laws and the Future of Punishment in Colorado, by Alan Prendergast
- Survey Shows College Courses for Prisoners Reduce Recidivism, but Few Exist, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Georgia Jail Guards Charged in Prisoner Abuse Incident
- Medical Parole Law Costs California Taxpayers Millions of Dollars
- Workers’ Comp Claims by Illinois Prison Guards Under Investigation, by David Reutter
- Offenders Cannot Sue Over Violations of Interstate Probation Transfer Compact
- Exec with GEO Group, which Operates Immigration Detention Facilities, Intimidates Immigrant In-Law
- 31,000 Criminal Cases Under Review After Detroit Crime Lab Closes
- CCA Objects to Shareholder Resolution Filed by Former CCA Prisoner, PLN Associate Editor
- $125,000 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Delayed MRSA Treatment Case
- Electronic Monitoring: Some Causes for Concern, by James Kilgore
- Pennsylvania Jail Guard Accused of Stealing from 93-Year-Old Widow
- U.S. Department of Justice Releases Statistics on Jail Prisoners at Midyear 2010, by Matthew Clarke
- Settlement in Alabama Prison Overcrowding and Violence Suit, by David Reutter
- $10 Million Settlement in Suit Over Oklahoma Sheriff’s Sex Abuse Scandal, by David Reutter
- Death Sentence Reversed Due to “Accidental” Perjury by Texas Prison Investigator, by Matthew Clarke
- Forty Percent of Adult Offenders Return to Prison Within Three Years of Release
- HRDC Files Suit on Behalf of Family of Hawaii Prisoner Murdered at CCA Facility
- Texas Psychologist Who Approved Prisoners for Execution Receives Reprimand, by Matthew Clarke
- Prisons in California, Indiana and New Mexico Go Solar
- New Prison HIV Medication Rules Subject of Massachusetts Suit
- California’s Race-Based Prison Lockdowns Targeted in Class-Action Lawsuit
- Federal Halfway House Director Embezzles $213,787, by Mark Wilson
- Maine Prison Warden’s Purchase of State Property Voided
- Empty Jail Beds Bankrupting Minnesota Counties
- Report Says Reentry Agencies Should Hire Former Prisoners, by Joe Watson
- $105,000 Settlement for Pennsylvania Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Tobacco Gang
- Former Oregon Prison Nurse Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges
- South Carolina Crime Stoppers Snitch Line Scammed, by Brandon Sample
- $500,000 Jury Award for Rape of New York Pretrial Detainee Reinstated on Appeal
- Two Charged with Scamming $2.6 Million from Prisoners and Prisoners’ Families
- Supreme Court Boots Challenge to SORNA
- Indiana Cuts Prison College Courses, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida Jail to Discontinue Providing Underwear, by David Reutter
- Report Criticizes Ohio Prison Doctor Who Resigned, by David Reutter
- Texas Prison Employees Accused of Improper Relationships with Sex Offenders
- Texas Prisoners Serve Average of 58% of Their Sentences, by Matthew Clarke
- Idaho Jail Institutes Pay-to-Stay-Out Program
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Attorney’s Fee Award in Excessive Force Case
- $1 Million Settlement in Oklahoma Jail Prisoner Wrongful Death Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles ADA Agrees to Pay $1.2 Million to Settle DUI Suit, by Michael Brodheim
- California: CDCR Releases 2011 Recidivism Report
- California: Orange County Settles Suit Over Jail Detainee’s Death for $2.1 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Missouri Federal Court Enjoins Denial of Housing Assistance to Sex Offender, by Matthew Clarke
- Haitian Prison Conditions Deteriorate in Aftermath of Massive Earthquake, by Holly S. Cooper
- Nebraska Judge Dismisses Charges Against Omaha Jailers, by Matthew Clarke
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018
- Intellectual Disability and Wrongful Conviction in Death Cases: A Lethal Combination, April 19, 2018
- Philadelphia Tests Automating the Bail Risk Assessment Process, April 19, 2018
- 9th Circuit: District Court Improperly Deferred to Nevada Supreme Court in AEDPA Analysis, April 19, 2018
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, April 2, 2018
- Innovative Use of Peanut Butter by Alabama Prisoners, April 2, 2018
- Challenge to Three-drug Execution Protocol Revived by Eleventh Circuit, April 2, 2018
- Louisiana Prison Officials Sued for Trying to Block Investigation into Abuse of Disabled Prisoners, April 2, 2018
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, April 2, 2018
- $50 Million Lawsuit Filed in "Cowboy" Tasing that Kills Detroit Teen, March 12, 2018
More from these topics:
- Iowa Supreme Court Announces Indecent Exposure Statute Does Not Apply to Still Images of Genitals, April 19, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Defenses.
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- Pervasive Masturbation in Cook County Jail Spurs Class-action Suits, Injunction, March 6, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Jail Specific.
- The High Cost of Texas Prison Rape Data, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.
- $11.5 Million Awarded in Suits Over Wisconsin Jailer’s Sexual Assaults, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- Lawsuits Challenge Treatment of Pregnant Prisoners at Milwaukee County Jail, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Gender Discrimination -- Women, OB/GYN, Failure to Treat, Malpractice, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- Sexual Harassment Lawsuits, Settlements Rock Missouri Department of Corrections, Jan. 31, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Staff-Staff Harassment.
- $15,000 Settlement in New Mexico Jail Rape Case Based on Polygraph Results, Jan. 8, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $150,000 Settles Colorado Jail Prisoner’s Sexual Assault Suit, Jan. 8, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- $5,000 to Transgender Prisoner in Maryland Sexual Harassment Lawsuit, Jan. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Harassment, Gay/Lesbian, Prison Rape Elimination Act.