Loaded on March 15, 2012 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News March, 2012, page 24
Members of the public typically have little concern over what happens in the jails and prisons in their communities. Taxpayers in Custer County, Oklahoma, however, are now very concerned following a $10 million settlement in a lawsuit involving female prisoners who were subjected to rampant sexual ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- How Victim Rights Shaped Spending, Laws and the Future of Punishment in Colorado, by Alan Prendergast
- Survey Shows College Courses for Prisoners Reduce Recidivism, but Few Exist, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Georgia Jail Guards Charged in Prisoner Abuse Incident
- Medical Parole Law Costs California Taxpayers Millions of Dollars
- Workers’ Comp Claims by Illinois Prison Guards Under Investigation, by David Reutter
- Offenders Cannot Sue Over Violations of Interstate Probation Transfer Compact
- Exec with GEO Group, which Operates Immigration Detention Facilities, Intimidates Immigrant In-Law
- 31,000 Criminal Cases Under Review After Detroit Crime Lab Closes
- CCA Objects to Shareholder Resolution Filed by Former CCA Prisoner, PLN Associate Editor
- $125,000 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Delayed MRSA Treatment Case
- Electronic Monitoring: Some Causes for Concern, by James Kilgore
- Pennsylvania Jail Guard Accused of Stealing from 93-Year-Old Widow
- U.S. Department of Justice Releases Statistics on Jail Prisoners at Midyear 2010, by Matthew Clarke
- Settlement in Alabama Prison Overcrowding and Violence Suit, by David Reutter
- $10 Million Settlement in Suit Over Oklahoma Sheriff’s Sex Abuse Scandal, by David Reutter
- Death Sentence Reversed Due to “Accidental” Perjury by Texas Prison Investigator, by Matthew Clarke
- Forty Percent of Adult Offenders Return to Prison Within Three Years of Release
- HRDC Files Suit on Behalf of Family of Hawaii Prisoner Murdered at CCA Facility
- Texas Psychologist Who Approved Prisoners for Execution Receives Reprimand, by Matthew Clarke
- Prisons in California, Indiana and New Mexico Go Solar
- New Prison HIV Medication Rules Subject of Massachusetts Suit
- California’s Race-Based Prison Lockdowns Targeted in Class-Action Lawsuit
- Federal Halfway House Director Embezzles $213,787, by Mark Wilson
- Maine Prison Warden’s Purchase of State Property Voided
- Empty Jail Beds Bankrupting Minnesota Counties
- Report Says Reentry Agencies Should Hire Former Prisoners, by Joe Watson
- $105,000 Settlement for Pennsylvania Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Tobacco Gang
- Former Oregon Prison Nurse Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges
- South Carolina Crime Stoppers Snitch Line Scammed, by Brandon Sample
- $500,000 Jury Award for Rape of New York Pretrial Detainee Reinstated on Appeal
- Two Charged with Scamming $2.6 Million from Prisoners and Prisoners’ Families
- Supreme Court Boots Challenge to SORNA
- Indiana Cuts Prison College Courses, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida Jail to Discontinue Providing Underwear, by David Reutter
- Report Criticizes Ohio Prison Doctor Who Resigned, by David Reutter
- Texas Prison Employees Accused of Improper Relationships with Sex Offenders
- Texas Prisoners Serve Average of 58% of Their Sentences, by Matthew Clarke
- Idaho Jail Institutes Pay-to-Stay-Out Program
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Attorney’s Fee Award in Excessive Force Case
- $1 Million Settlement in Oklahoma Jail Prisoner Wrongful Death Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles ADA Agrees to Pay $1.2 Million to Settle DUI Suit, by Michael Brodheim
- California: CDCR Releases 2011 Recidivism Report
- California: Orange County Settles Suit Over Jail Detainee’s Death for $2.1 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Missouri Federal Court Enjoins Denial of Housing Assistance to Sex Offender, by Matthew Clarke
- Haitian Prison Conditions Deteriorate in Aftermath of Massive Earthquake, by Holly S. Cooper
- Nebraska Judge Dismisses Charges Against Omaha Jailers, by Matthew Clarke
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Mississippi Supreme Court Clarifies that Appellate Courts Never Serve as ‘13th Juror’ for Motion for New Trial, July 21, 2018
- Utah Supreme Court: Procedural Due Process Violated Where Failure to Participate in Sex Offender Treatment Program Used to Deny Parole to Prisoner Not Convicted of Sex Offense, July 21, 2018
- Virginia Parole Board Changes “Three-Strikes” Interpretation, July 6, 2018
- Tennessee Judge Ends Sentence Reductions for Prisoners Who Agree to Sterilization; Receives Reprimand, July 2, 2018
- Retaliatory “Rough Ride” by Prison Guards States Eighth Amendment Claim, July 2, 2018
- Vermont Supreme Court: Defendant Cannot be Compelled to Submit to Competency Evaluation by State’s Expert, June 17, 2018
- Numerous Deaths, Sealed Settlements in North Carolina Jails, June 5, 2018
- Guards Sentenced for Beating Prisoners at Kentucky Jail, June 5, 2018
- Iowa Supreme Court Rules District Courts Have Authority to Hear Postconviction Relief Actions Involving Deprivation of Liberty or Property Interest, May 21, 2018
- Coast Guard's Detention Based on Ethnicity Violates Fourth Amendment, May 10, 2018
More from these topics:
- Office of Inspector General Finds Abuses at ICE Detention Facilities, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Immigration.
- The Magnificent Seven, July 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Commentary/Reviews.
- $224,528 Awarded to County Jail Employee in New York Retaliation Suit, June 21, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Retaliation, Jail Specific, 1964 Civil Rights Act, Guards/Staff.
- Federal Civil Rights Suit for California Jail Beating Settles for $100,000, June 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Settlements.
- $100,000 Settlement in Suit Over Hawaii Guard’s Sexual Assault of Prisoner, June 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.
- California: Defendants’ Repeated Discovery Obstruction Sanctioned in Guard Sex Abuse Case, May 7, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, DOC/BOP misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Discovery.
- Iowa Supreme Court Announces Indecent Exposure Statute Does Not Apply to Still Images of Genitals, April 19, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Defenses.
- Oregon Jailer Facing Sex Charges Improperly Denied Insanity Defense, April 2, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Defenses.
- Pervasive Masturbation in Cook County Jail Spurs Class-action Suits, Injunction, March 6, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Jail Specific.
- The High Cost of Texas Prison Rape Data, March 1, 2018. Sexual Assault, Staff-Prisoner Assault, Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Prison Rape Elimination Act.