Loaded on March 15, 2012 by David Reutter published in Prison Legal News March, 2012, page 24
Members of the public typically have little concern over what happens in the jails and prisons in their communities. Taxpayers in Custer County, Oklahoma, however, are now very concerned following a $10 million settlement in a lawsuit involving female prisoners who were subjected to rampant sexual ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- How Victim Rights Shaped Spending, Laws and the Future of Punishment in Colorado, by Alan Prendergast
- Survey Shows College Courses for Prisoners Reduce Recidivism, but Few Exist, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Georgia Jail Guards Charged in Prisoner Abuse Incident
- Medical Parole Law Costs California Taxpayers Millions of Dollars
- Workers’ Comp Claims by Illinois Prison Guards Under Investigation, by David Reutter
- Offenders Cannot Sue Over Violations of Interstate Probation Transfer Compact
- Exec with GEO Group, which Operates Immigration Detention Facilities, Intimidates Immigrant In-Law
- 31,000 Criminal Cases Under Review After Detroit Crime Lab Closes
- CCA Objects to Shareholder Resolution Filed by Former CCA Prisoner, PLN Associate Editor
- $125,000 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Delayed MRSA Treatment Case
- Electronic Monitoring: Some Causes for Concern, by James Kilgore
- Pennsylvania Jail Guard Accused of Stealing from 93-Year-Old Widow
- U.S. Department of Justice Releases Statistics on Jail Prisoners at Midyear 2010, by Matthew Clarke
- Settlement in Alabama Prison Overcrowding and Violence Suit, by David Reutter
- $10 Million Settlement in Suit Over Oklahoma Sheriff’s Sex Abuse Scandal, by David Reutter
- Death Sentence Reversed Due to “Accidental” Perjury by Texas Prison Investigator, by Matthew Clarke
- Forty Percent of Adult Offenders Return to Prison Within Three Years of Release
- HRDC Files Suit on Behalf of Family of Hawaii Prisoner Murdered at CCA Facility
- Texas Psychologist Who Approved Prisoners for Execution Receives Reprimand, by Matthew Clarke
- Prisons in California, Indiana and New Mexico Go Solar
- New Prison HIV Medication Rules Subject of Massachusetts Suit
- California’s Race-Based Prison Lockdowns Targeted in Class-Action Lawsuit
- Federal Halfway House Director Embezzles $213,787, by Mark Wilson
- Maine Prison Warden’s Purchase of State Property Voided
- Empty Jail Beds Bankrupting Minnesota Counties
- Report Says Reentry Agencies Should Hire Former Prisoners, by Joe Watson
- $105,000 Settlement for Pennsylvania Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Tobacco Gang
- Former Oregon Prison Nurse Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges
- South Carolina Crime Stoppers Snitch Line Scammed, by Brandon Sample
- $500,000 Jury Award for Rape of New York Pretrial Detainee Reinstated on Appeal
- Two Charged with Scamming $2.6 Million from Prisoners and Prisoners’ Families
- Supreme Court Boots Challenge to SORNA
- Indiana Cuts Prison College Courses, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida Jail to Discontinue Providing Underwear, by David Reutter
- Report Criticizes Ohio Prison Doctor Who Resigned, by David Reutter
- Texas Prison Employees Accused of Improper Relationships with Sex Offenders
- Texas Prisoners Serve Average of 58% of Their Sentences, by Matthew Clarke
- Idaho Jail Institutes Pay-to-Stay-Out Program
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Attorney’s Fee Award in Excessive Force Case
- $1 Million Settlement in Oklahoma Jail Prisoner Wrongful Death Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles ADA Agrees to Pay $1.2 Million to Settle DUI Suit, by Michael Brodheim
- California: CDCR Releases 2011 Recidivism Report
- California: Orange County Settles Suit Over Jail Detainee’s Death for $2.1 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Missouri Federal Court Enjoins Denial of Housing Assistance to Sex Offender, by Matthew Clarke
- Haitian Prison Conditions Deteriorate in Aftermath of Massive Earthquake, by Holly S. Cooper
- Nebraska Judge Dismisses Charges Against Omaha Jailers, by Matthew Clarke
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- CoreCivic’s Actions Against Sexual Harassment Compel Reversal of Jury Verdict, Oct. 3, 2018
- Sixth Circuit Rules Relying on Search Warrant Based on ‘Bare Bones’ Affidavit Objectively Unreasonable, Grants Motion to Suppress, Sept. 23, 2018
- Hawaii Supreme Court Vacates Conviction Because Defendant’s Waiver of Right to Testify Deficient Under State’s Tachibana Colloquy Requirement, Sept. 23, 2018
- 1st Circuit: No Protective Sweep Where Identified Suspects Already in Custody at Time of Warrantless Search, Sept. 23, 2018
- 11th Circuit Rules Immigration Judges are United States Judges for Purposes of 18 U.S.C. § 115(a)(1)(B), Sept. 23, 2018
- Archaic Disciplinary System Allows Chicago Police to Delay Punishment, Sept. 23, 2018
- 10th Circuit: Oklahoma’s Second-Degree Burglary Not an ACCA Qualifying Offense, Sept. 23, 2018
- Sixth Circuit: § 1983 Actions Classified as Personal Injury Claims, Sept. 5, 2018
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, Sept. 5, 2018
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, Sept. 5, 2018
More from these topics:
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, Oct. 12, 2018. Sexual Harassment, Guard Misconduct, Attorney.
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault, Oct. 11, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault.
- CoreCivic’s Actions Against Sexual Harassment Compel Reversal of Jury Verdict, Oct. 3, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Sexual Harassment, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Eric Schneiderman Pushed Laws Opposing Abuse of Women as He Stands Accused of Abusing Them Himself, Sept. 23, 2018. Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Government Misconduct, Prosecutor/Attorney General Misconduct, Attorneys General, Violence Against Women Act, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirms dismissal of Nebraska prisoner’s jail rape claim, Sept. 10, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Jail Specific.
- $380,000 settlement in Cook County Jail abuse case, Sept. 5, 2018. Prisoner-Prisoner Assault, Sexual Harassment, Jail Misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Jail Specific, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- PLRA’s Administrative Remedies Requirement Tolls Limitations Time but Not Accrual Time, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Administrative Exhaustion (PLRA), Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Limitations, Grievances.
- Jail’s Failure to Protect Juvenile from Sexual Assault Supports $25,000 Verdict, Sept. 5, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Failure to Protect (Juveniles).
- $55,000 Settlement in Rape of Missouri Jail Prisoner, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Escapes.
- Ohio Settles Suit Over Sexual Assault of Prisoner for $525,000, Sept. 3, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Settlements.