A class-action lawsuit that alleged conditions at Alabama’s Donaldson Correctional Facility (DCF) placed prisoners “at a substantial risk of injury due to violence, lack of security, understaffing, corruption, and severe overcrowding” has concluded with a settlement agreement designed to address deficiencies at the prison.
DCF opened in 1982 with a ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- How Victim Rights Shaped Spending, Laws and the Future of Punishment in Colorado, by Alan Prendergast
- Survey Shows College Courses for Prisoners Reduce Recidivism, but Few Exist, by Matthew Clarke
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Georgia Jail Guards Charged in Prisoner Abuse Incident
- Medical Parole Law Costs California Taxpayers Millions of Dollars
- Workers’ Comp Claims by Illinois Prison Guards Under Investigation, by David Reutter
- Offenders Cannot Sue Over Violations of Interstate Probation Transfer Compact
- Exec with GEO Group, which Operates Immigration Detention Facilities, Intimidates Immigrant In-Law
- 31,000 Criminal Cases Under Review After Detroit Crime Lab Closes
- CCA Objects to Shareholder Resolution Filed by Former CCA Prisoner, PLN Associate Editor
- $125,000 Settlement in New Jersey Jail Delayed MRSA Treatment Case
- Electronic Monitoring: Some Causes for Concern, by James Kilgore
- Pennsylvania Jail Guard Accused of Stealing from 93-Year-Old Widow
- U.S. Department of Justice Releases Statistics on Jail Prisoners at Midyear 2010, by Matthew Clarke
- Settlement in Alabama Prison Overcrowding and Violence Suit, by David Reutter
- $10 Million Settlement in Suit Over Oklahoma Sheriff’s Sex Abuse Scandal, by David Reutter
- Death Sentence Reversed Due to “Accidental” Perjury by Texas Prison Investigator, by Matthew Clarke
- Forty Percent of Adult Offenders Return to Prison Within Three Years of Release
- HRDC Files Suit on Behalf of Family of Hawaii Prisoner Murdered at CCA Facility
- Texas Psychologist Who Approved Prisoners for Execution Receives Reprimand, by Matthew Clarke
- Prisons in California, Indiana and New Mexico Go Solar
- New Prison HIV Medication Rules Subject of Massachusetts Suit
- California’s Race-Based Prison Lockdowns Targeted in Class-Action Lawsuit
- Federal Halfway House Director Embezzles $213,787, by Mark Wilson
- Maine Prison Warden’s Purchase of State Property Voided
- Empty Jail Beds Bankrupting Minnesota Counties
- Report Says Reentry Agencies Should Hire Former Prisoners, by Joe Watson
- $105,000 Settlement for Pennsylvania Jail Prisoner Assaulted by Tobacco Gang
- Former Oregon Prison Nurse Pleads Guilty to Drug Charges
- South Carolina Crime Stoppers Snitch Line Scammed, by Brandon Sample
- $500,000 Jury Award for Rape of New York Pretrial Detainee Reinstated on Appeal
- Two Charged with Scamming $2.6 Million from Prisoners and Prisoners’ Families
- Supreme Court Boots Challenge to SORNA
- Indiana Cuts Prison College Courses, by Matthew Clarke
- Florida Jail to Discontinue Providing Underwear, by David Reutter
- Report Criticizes Ohio Prison Doctor Who Resigned, by David Reutter
- Texas Prison Employees Accused of Improper Relationships with Sex Offenders
- Texas Prisoners Serve Average of 58% of Their Sentences, by Matthew Clarke
- Idaho Jail Institutes Pay-to-Stay-Out Program
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Attorney’s Fee Award in Excessive Force Case
- $1 Million Settlement in Oklahoma Jail Prisoner Wrongful Death Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- Los Angeles ADA Agrees to Pay $1.2 Million to Settle DUI Suit, by Michael Brodheim
- California: CDCR Releases 2011 Recidivism Report
- California: Orange County Settles Suit Over Jail Detainee’s Death for $2.1 Million, by Michael Brodheim
- Missouri Federal Court Enjoins Denial of Housing Assistance to Sex Offender, by Matthew Clarke
- Haitian Prison Conditions Deteriorate in Aftermath of Massive Earthquake, by Holly S. Cooper
- Nebraska Judge Dismisses Charges Against Omaha Jailers, by Matthew Clarke
- News in Brief
More from David Reutter:
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018
- Intellectual Disability and Wrongful Conviction in Death Cases: A Lethal Combination, April 19, 2018
- Philadelphia Tests Automating the Bail Risk Assessment Process, April 19, 2018
- 9th Circuit: District Court Improperly Deferred to Nevada Supreme Court in AEDPA Analysis, April 19, 2018
- Rash of North Carolina Jail Deaths Due to Lack of Supervision and Medical Care, April 2, 2018
- Innovative Use of Peanut Butter by Alabama Prisoners, April 2, 2018
- Challenge to Three-drug Execution Protocol Revived by Eleventh Circuit, April 2, 2018
- Louisiana Prison Officials Sued for Trying to Block Investigation into Abuse of Disabled Prisoners, April 2, 2018
- Corruption Among Prison Guards in North Carolina Spurred by Low Pay, April 2, 2018
- $50 Million Lawsuit Filed in "Cowboy" Tasing that Kills Detroit Teen, March 12, 2018
More from these topics:
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018. Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Security Systems, Guards/Staff.
- 7th Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Illinois Prisoner's Civil Rights Lawsuit, April 20, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Tortured and Wrongly Held at Guantánamo for 14 Years, Abdul Zahir Now Has Freedom, but No Justice, April 12, 2018. Sexual Assault, Conditions of Confinement, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints, Political Prisoners (International).
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Survivors Guide to Prison': An Interview with the Film Producer, April 6, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Prosecutors, Wrongful Conviction, Wrongful Imprisonment.
- Immigrant, Refugee Detainees Allege Abusive Treatment at Private Texas Facility, April 6, 2018. Racial Discrimination, Conditions of Confinement, Totality of Conditions, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Immigration.
- America’s Toxic Prisons: The Environmental Injustices of Mass Incarceration, April 2, 2018. Totality of Conditions, Environmental Law.
- Inspector General Finds Substandard Conditions at California Jail Used by ICE, April 2, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Immigration.
- Florida KKK Guards Convicted in Plot to Kill Former Prisoner, April 2, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Racial Discrimination, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Conspiracy (Civil Procedure).
- Colorado Federal Jury Awards $50,000 to Prisoner Assaulted by Deputy in Court, April 2, 2018. Guard Misconduct, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints.
- As Wyoming State Penitentiary Falls Apart, Officials Rush Repairs, April 2, 2018. Totality of Conditions.