Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 46
The settlement came in a federal civil rights action filed by the estate of Oswald Livermore. Livermore, 51, was booked into the Manhattan ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Alaska Prisoner Deaths Criticized in Report, Author Becomes New DOC Commissioner, July 28, 2017. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Staff Training.
- Rats, bugs and ‘natural’ deaths at nation’s largest women’s prison, July 12, 2017. Corizon, HIV/AIDS, Respiratory, Cancer, OB/GYN, Diabetes, Contagious Disease -- Misc., Failure to Treat, Food, Sanitation, Vermin, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- At Lowell, sex, death and a probe riddled with questions, July 12, 2017. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Corizon, Guard Misconduct, Medication, Forcible Treatment, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Control Units.
- Wrongfully Arrested for Murder, Prisoner Dies in California Jail; Corizon Loses Contract , June 30, 2017. California Forensic Medical Group, Corizon, Respiratory, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, False Arrest.
- New York State Attorney General Settles Suit Against Jail’s Medical Provider, June 30, 2017. Armor Correctional Health Services, Systemic Medical Neglect, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Continued Failure in Privatized Medical Care at Kentucky Jails, June 30, 2017. Private Contractors, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- San Diego County Settles Prisoner Overdose Death for $2.3 Million, June 30, 2017. Drug Overdose, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Report Finds Substandard Medical Care in ICE Facilities, June 30, 2017. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Systemic Medical Neglect, Cancer, Immigration, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Utah Attorney Plans Wrongful Death Suit Against County Jail, June 9, 2017. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- University of Texas Researcher Makes Data on In-custody Deaths Comprehensible, June 9, 2017. Databases, Wrongful Death.