Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 46
The settlement came in a federal civil rights action filed by the estate of Oswald Livermore. Livermore, 51, was booked into the Manhattan ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $3.279 Million in Costs and Fees Awarded in Wrongful Death Suit Involving Epileptic Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Ohio County Jail Faces Increased Liability Due to Numerous Lawsuits, Jan. 8, 2019. Excessive Force, Immunity/Liability, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $750,000 Settlement for Family of Man Who Died in Illinois Jail, Jan. 8, 2019. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Settlements, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Favor of Jail Where Three Detainees Died, Dec. 7, 2018. Summary Judgment, Wrongful Death, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Florida Detainee Died from Deliberate Indifference to Septic Shock, Lawsuit Charges, Dec. 5, 2018. Medical Misconduct, Blood, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- New Mexico Prisoners Suffer and Die Under Privatized Health Care, Nov. 6, 2018. Wexford Health Services, Corizon, Centurion, Systemic Medical Neglect, Private Contractors, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- San Diego County Targets Reporter Who Exposed Sky-High Jail Death Rate, Nov. 6, 2018. Retaliation, Statistics/Trends, Wrongful Death, Media, First Amendment, News.
- The Secret World of Missouri DOC Internal Death Investigations, Nov. 6, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Statistics/Trends, Wrongful Death.
- CCS Seeks to Hide Internal Review in Jail Detainee’s Death; $180,000 Settlement, Nov. 6, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Medication, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Private Contractors, Settlements, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.