Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 46
The settlement came in a federal civil rights action filed by the estate of Oswald Livermore. Livermore, 51, was booked into the Manhattan ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Minnesota Prisoner Medical Deliberate Indifference Lawsuit, March 14, 2017. Drug Overdose, Infections, Eighth Amendment, Summary Judgment, Failure to Train/Supervise, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Drug Treatment/Rehab.
- Peanut Company Executives Appeal Prison Sentences in Rare Corporate Prosecution, March 9, 2017. Criminal Prosecution, Wrongful Death.
- An Inmate Died Of Thirst In A Jail Run By A Loudly Pro-Trump Sheriff, Feb. 24, 2017. Jail Misconduct, Prison/Jail Murders, Water, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Sandra Bland Died One Year Ago, Feb. 24, 2017. Jail Misconduct, Prison/Jail Murders, Statistics/Trends, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Police--Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Suicides.
- We Wanted To Find Troubled Jails, So We Counted The Bodies, Feb. 24, 2017. Jail Misconduct, Corrections Audits, Prison/Jail Murders, Statistics/Trends, Jail Specific, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Police--Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Texas’ Largest Jail Hasn’t Learned Much From Sandra Bland’s Death, Feb. 24, 2017. Jail Misconduct, Failure to Protect (General), Jail Specific, Failure to Train/Supervise, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- No place to be sick: When jail cell becomes a death chamber, Feb. 24, 2017. DOC/BOP misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Medical, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (General), Jail Specific, Failure to Train/Supervise, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides, Staff Training.
- Alaska Prisoner Deaths Criticized in Report, Feb. 21, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Systemic Medical Neglect, Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat, Failure to Protect (General), Food, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Failure to Train/Supervise, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- New York Counties, Corizon Reach $1.85 Million Settlement in Detainee’s Death, Feb. 8, 2017. Corizon, Misconduct/Corruption, Contractor Misconduct, Medical Misconduct, Medical, Medication, Systemic Medical Neglect, Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Private Contractors, Medical Expenses, Misdiagnosis, Failure to Treat, Immigration, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Washington: Teen’s Death in Tribal Jail Sparks Lawsuit, Contract Scrutiny, Feb. 8, 2017. Guard Misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Cardiovascular, Failure to Treat, Jail Specific, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Juveniles, Failure to Protect (Juveniles), Guards/Staff.