Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 55
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Eighth Circuit Holds Missouri Police Not Entitled to Immunity in Wrongful Death Suit, Jan. 16, 2018. Summary Judgment, Qualified Immunity, Sovereign Immunity, Wrongful Death, Police--Excessive Force.
- Drug Addicts Suffer Preventable Deaths in U.S. Jails, Jan. 8, 2018. Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- Eighth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment Order in Detainee’s Wrongful Death Suit, Jan. 8, 2018. Summary Judgment, Wrongful Death, Mental Health.
- Department of Justice Releases Reports on Prison and Jail Deaths, Jan. 8, 2018. Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Accidents, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- $3.6 Million: California Prisoner Killed by Guards, Jan. 8, 2018. Jail Specific, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Wrongful Death, Mental Health.
- $3,802,000 Settlement, Rikers' Guard Conviction in Prisoner Death, Jan. 3, 2018. Failure to Treat, Wrongful Death, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Guards/Staff.
- $675,000 in Wrongful Death of Federal Prisoner, Dec. 28, 2017. Cancer, Failure to Treat, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $2 Million for Police Killing of Woman in Her Home, Dec. 21, 2017. Police Misconduct, Wrongful Death, Excessive Force (Police).
- Prisoner's Wrongful Death FTCA Claim Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction, Dec. 21, 2017. Federal Tort Claims Act, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $90,000 Settlement in Erie County, N.Y. Jail Wrongful Death Case, Dec. 20, 2017. Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.