Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 55
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Prison Officials Acted Under State-Agent Immunity, April 21, 2018. Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Security Systems, Guards/Staff.
- $300,000 Settlement in Suit Over Death of Intoxicated Man Abandoned by Deputies, April 19, 2018. Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Fifth Circuit: Strip Searches Due to Security Concerns Not Unconstitutional, April 2, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Work Conditions/Safety, Strip Searches, Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Deadly Prison Riot in Delaware: 18 Prisoners Indicted, Slain Guard’s Widow Settles Suit for $7.55 Million, April 2, 2018. Prison Rebellion, Wrongful Death, Assaults on Staff, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Sheriff Wanted Medical Examiner to Alter Reports, March 16, 2018. Police Misconduct, Government Misconduct, Medical, Wrongful Death.
- Federal Lawsuit Filed in Dehydration Death at Wisconsin Jail; Three Jailers Charged, March 6, 2018. Conditions of Confinement, Water, Federal Statutory Law, Wrongful Death.
- $5 Million Settles Jail Detainee’s Death, March 6, 2018. Failure to Treat, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- Two Cellmates Die at Private Louisiana Jail, March 6, 2018. Private Prisons, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Deaths Soar 600 Percent at Nevada Jail Under New Sheriff, March 6, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- $450,000 to Prisoner's Estate for Beating Death, Feb. 22, 2018. Prison Gangs, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death).