Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 55
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Lawsuits allege failings in Pennsylvania elevator shaft deaths of officer, prisoner, July 16, 2018. Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Wrongful Death.
- $200,000 Settlement Given to Family of California Man Who Died of Heart Failure in Pretrial Custody, July 8, 2018. Medication, Eighth Amendment, Wrongful Death, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- On Sale Now: Prison Labor, June 25, 2018. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Retaliation, Prison Labor, Work Conditions/Safety, Hunger Strikes, Medical, Toxic Fumes/Chemicals, Overcrowding, Environmental Law, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Mother of California State Prisoner Receives Settlement in Wrongful Death of Son, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Wrongful Death.
- Mother of Utah Prisoner Who Starved to Death in County Jail Accepts Settlement, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Food, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Daughter of Texas Prisoner Who Died from Asthma Attack Receives Settlement, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Ventilation, Wrongful Death.
- $95,000 Settlement in Suit Over Idaho Jail Prisoner's Death, June 16, 2018. Medical, Drug Overdose, Overcrowding, Ventilation, Jail Specific, Settlements, Probation, 1964 Civil Rights Act, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Staff Training, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- $12,500 Settlement in Suit Over Ohio Death Row Prisoner's Suicide, June 16, 2018. Settlements, Death Penalty/Death Row, Wrongful Death, Suicides, Staff Training.
- California Law Allows Transfer to Jail in Another County, But Prisoner Must First Exhaust Administrative Remedies, Court of Appeal Holds, June 7, 2018. Work Conditions/Safety, Attorneys, Rehabilitation Act, Drug Treatment/Rehab.
- Incorrect Cause of Tennessee Prisoner’s Death Reported by CoreCivic Employees, June 7, 2018. Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, Contractor Misconduct, Drug Overdose, Statistics/Trends, Wrongful Death.