Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 55
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Peanut Company Executives Appeal Prison Sentences in Rare Corporate Prosecution, March 9, 2017. Criminal Prosecution, Wrongful Death.
- Michigan’s Wayne County Jails Plagued with Inhumane Conditions, Jan. 10, 2017. Jail Misconduct, Work Conditions/Safety, Cost of Prison Systems, Conditions of Confinement, Totality of Conditions, Failure to Protect (General), Overcrowding, Eighth Amendment, Staffing, Ventilation, Showers, Toilets, Sewage, Water, Sanitation, Jail Specific, Hygiene Supplies, Shelter, Vermin, Exposure to Heat, Security Systems, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Prisoner Deaths Continue To Rise, Nov. 15, 2016. DOC/BOP misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Drug/Alcohol Withdrawal, Failure to Treat, Drug Overdose, Crime/Demographics, Prison/Jail Murders, Statistics/Trends, Failure to Protect (General), Jail Specific, Failure to Train/Supervise, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Medical Neglect/Malpractice, Accidents, Excessive Force (Wrongful Death), Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- Rare Corporate Prosecution: West Virginia’s “King of Coal” Sentenced for Conspiracy in Mine Deaths, Nov. 8, 2016. Work, Workplace Injury, Work Conditions/Safety, Sentencing, U.S. Sentencing Guidelines.
- Programmed to Kill: The Growing Epidemic of Cops Shooting Dogs, Sept. 22, 2016. Police Misconduct, Work Conditions/Safety, Shootings, Dogs, Failure to Train/Supervise, Police--Excessive Force, Excessive Force (Police).
- GEO Group Fined More Than $100,000 (by OSHA), Sept. 9, 2016. GEO Group/Wackenhut, Contractor Misconduct, Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Louisiana Sheriff Faces Recall Petition, Federal Indictments, Sept. 2, 2016. Police Misconduct, Jail Misconduct, Conditions of Confinement, Failure to Protect (General), Eighth Amendment, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Failure to Train/Supervise, Wrongful Death, FBI.
- $1.35 Million Settlement in Tempe Police Speeding Wrongful Death Suit, Aug. 22, 2016. Police Misconduct, Accidents, Police Chases.
- New York Police IA Records in Camera Inspection Improperly Denied, Aug. 11, 2016. Police Misconduct, Evidence, Disclosure of Records, Wrongful Death.
- Prisoners Bitten by Prison Dogs Snag Settlements from Ohio DOC, Aug. 11, 2016. Prison Labor, Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Dogs.