Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 55
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- $280,000 settlement after family files wrongful death suit against New Jersey jail, health providers, Sept. 10, 2018. Pain, Dental Care, Failure to Treat, Eighth Amendment, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Wrongful Death.
- Controversy in Utah Over Jail Deaths and Secret Jail Operating Standards, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death.
- Lake County, Indiana Establishes $8.2 Million Bond to Settle Jail Lawsuits, Sept. 3, 2018. Jail Misconduct, Settlements, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- $750,000 Settlement Paid by California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for Wrongful Death, Aug. 23, 2018. Failure to Treat, Wrongful Death, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- New Jersey Jail Scrutinized after Suicides; Guards Charged, Families Sue, Aug. 4, 2018. Staff-Prisoner Assault, Guard Misconduct, Wrongful Death, Suicides.
- Father of Man Strangled While in Missouri Jail Accepts Settlement, July 27, 2018. Prison/Jail Murders, Jail Specific, Wrongful Death, Mental Health, Failure to Protect (Staff).
- Lawsuits allege failings in Pennsylvania elevator shaft deaths of officer, prisoner, July 16, 2018. Work Conditions/Safety, Failure to Protect (General), Wrongful Death.
- $200,000 Settlement Given to Family of California Man Who Died of Heart Failure in Pretrial Custody, July 8, 2018. Medication, Eighth Amendment, Wrongful Death, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- On Sale Now: Prison Labor, June 25, 2018. Private Prisons, Corrections Corporation of America/CoreCivic, GEO Group/Wackenhut, Retaliation, Prison Labor, Work Conditions/Safety, Hunger Strikes, Medical, Toxic Fumes/Chemicals, Overcrowding, Environmental Law, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Mother of California State Prisoner Receives Settlement in Wrongful Death of Son, June 21, 2018. Failure to Treat, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Wrongful Death.