Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 50
Officers Terry Rogers and Dee Burgin ordered a ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Indiana Hospital and Sheriff Settle over False Arrest and Illegal Search, May 6, 2018. Searches, False Arrest, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Federal Jury Awards $25,000 Against Missouri Police for False Arrest, April 20, 2018. Retaliatory Searches, Searches, Police, First Amendment, rights, Fourth Amendment, rights, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- Massachusetts High Court Vacates Felony-Murder Conviction for Failure to Suppress Cellphone Search, April 19, 2018. Police Searches.
- First Circuit Modifies Emergency Aid Doctrine for Warrantless Entry of a Home, April 19, 2018. Police Misconduct, Drug Overdose, Police Searches, Search warrants.
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals: Furtive Gestures, Brief Visit Not Probable Cause, April 19, 2018. Police Searches, Criminal Procedure.
- Oregon Police Illegally Enter, Search, Issue Bogus Citation, March 19, 2018. Searches, Attorneys, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- $13,500 to Oregon Woman for Wrongful Arrest, Unlawful Search, March 19, 2018. Searches, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Mass. Supremes: Consent to Search in Vehicle Did Not Extend to Engine, March 16, 2018. Vehicle Searches, Police Searches.
- Lack of Criminal Intent: Missouri Supreme Acquits on Drug Possession Charge, March 16, 2018. Searches, War on Drugs, Criminal Procedure.
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court: Police Emergency Lights Next to Parked Car Constitute Seizure, March 16, 2018. Searches, Fourth Amendment, rights.