Loaded on March 15, 2013 published in Prison Legal News March, 2013, page 31
The May 2012 settlement provides cash payments ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Abuse in Los Angeles Jails Leads to Investigations, Lawsuits and Eventual Reforms, by Michael Brodheim
- Colorado Seeks New Use for Empty Prison
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Nevada Prison Industries Exploiting Businesses and Workers, by Bob Sloan
- The Color of Corporate Corrections: Overrepresentation of People of Color in the Private Prison Industry, by Christopher Petrella
- British Call Center Fires Employees to Hire Prison Slave Labor
- Why Are Prisoners Committing Suicide in Pennsylvania?, by Matt Stroud
- Federal Court Grants Six-Month Extension to Reduce CDCR Prison Population
- Alaska Supreme Court Revives Prisoner’s “Shy Bladder” Suit
- Historic $45 Million Settlement in Washington State Prison Phone Class-action Suit, by Matthew Clarke
- China Pledges to Stop Harvesting Organs from Executed Prisoners
- Prison Reforms Under Maine’s New DOC Commissioner, by Lance Tapley
- Former California Prison Guard Convicted of Lying about Injury Sustained at Sex Club
- $2.6 Million Jury Award for Prisoner Beaten in Los Angeles County Detox Cell, by Matthew Clarke
- Colorado: CCA Doctor Disciplined for Role in Prisoner’s Death
- $4.1 Million Settlement for Cook County Jail Prisoners Shacked During Labor
- California Prison Psychiatrists Reap Rewards from State Bidding War
- Tennessee DOC Accused of Covering Up Violent Incidents, by Alex Friedmann
- Prison Doctor’s Failure to Follow Prescribed Hernia Treatment States Claim
- Second Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment for Non-Treatment of Prisoner’s HCV
- 7th Circuit Reaffirms Voluntariness of BOP’s Inmate Financial Responsibility Program, by Derek Gilna
- DC Court Disbars Former Federal Prosecutor for Misconduct, by Derek Gilna
- Eighth Circuit: § 1997e(e) Bars Compensatory Damages for First Amendment Religious Claims; Qualified Immunity Upheld
- Indigent Prisoner’s Damages Claim in Legal Mail Case Survives Summary Judgment
- U.S. Citizens Mistakenly Snared, Deported by DHS and ICE, by Derek Gilna
- South Carolina Sex Offender’s Lifetime Satellite Monitoring Held Unconstitutional
- Have the Media Stopped Covering Courts?
- “Shocks the Conscience” Test Applied to Conditions at Civil Commitment Center
- Unique Brazilian Prison Alternative Celebrates 40-Year Anniversary, by Lyla Bugara
- Eleventh Circuit: No Right to Spanish-language RDAP Program
- $2 Million Settlement in Mailman’s Death at New York City Jail
- Former New York Prisoner Exonerated, Receives $2 Million Settlement
- Fifth Circuit Reverses $659,300 Katrina-Related Jury Award, by Matthew Clarke
- Equitable Tolling of AEDPA Includes Non-English Speaking Petitioners
- Oregon ACLU Sues Jail over Mail Policy; County Quickly Capitulates
- Illinois Woman Awarded $70,000 for Strip Search Based on Canine Alert
- California Governor Approved Parole for 377 Life-Sentenced Murderers in 2012, by John Dannenberg
- Eighth Circuit: Procedurally Defaulted Grievances Decided on Merits are Considered Exhausted
- Eleventh Circuit: Corizon Policy Led to Prisoner’s Paralysis; $1.2 Million Verdict Upheld
- Los Angeles County Settles Civil Detainee Wrongful Death Claim for $750,000
- Eighth Circuit Upholds Child Porn Supervised Release Condition
- California Prison Town Files for Bankruptcy, by John Dannenberg
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies Sex Offender Registration for Homeless Prison Releasees
- News in Brief
More from these topics:
- Lawsuit Filed in Death of Kentucky Prisoner Held in Five-point Restraints, July 6, 2018. Restraints, Failure to Protect (Wrongful Death), Excessive Force (Wrongful Death).
- Tennessee Judge Ends Sentence Reductions for Prisoners Who Agree to Sterilization; Receives Reprimand, July 2, 2018. Judicial Misconduct, OB/GYN, Male Reproductive, Alternative Sentencing.
- Retaliatory “Rough Ride” by Prison Guards States Eighth Amendment Claim, July 2, 2018. Retaliation, Eighth Amendment, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Restraints, First Amendment, rights, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- Supreme Court Reverses Ninth Circuit Ruling Banning Pretrial Full-body Shackling, July 2, 2018. Restraints.
- $132,300 Awarded to Florida Prisoner After Hand Crushed in Cell Door, June 21, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Conditions of Confinement, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings.
- Louisiana Prisoner Beaten by Prison Guards Settles Civil Rights Claim, June 21, 2018. Medical, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Excessive Force, Guard Brutality/Beatings, Fourteenth Amendment, rights.
- California Prisoner Threatened and Maltreated by Prison Guards Settles, June 21, 2018. Threats by Staff, Racial Discrimination, Retaliation, Searches, Conditions of Confinement, Eighth Amendment, Excessive Force, Guards/Staff, First Amendment, rights.
- $400,000 Settlement Accepted by Michigan Parolee Over Force by Police, Parole Officers, June 21, 2018. Injury -- Misc., Excessive Force, Parole, Police, Excessive Force (Police), Fourth Amendment, rights.
- Wisconsin Settles State Prisoner’s Lawsuits for $13,000, June 8, 2018. Retaliation for Use of Medical Services, Dental Care, Showers, Toilets, Hygiene Supplies, Restraints, Prisoner Property, Control Units, Mental Health.
- Ohio: Federal Lawsuit Over Jail Beating Settles for $70,000, June 8, 2018. Guard Brutality/Beatings, Pepper Spray/Tear Gas, Restraints, Settlements.