by Dale Chappell
Lincoln County, Oregon agreed to pay $2.85 million to settle a wrongful death suit filed by the family of a 55-year-old mentally ill prisoner who died of dehydration at the county jail.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in 2016, claimed that jailers had violated Bradley ...
Full article and associated cases available to subscribers.
As a digital subscriber to Prison Legal News, you can access full text and downloads for this and other premium content.
Already a subscriber? Login
More from this issue:
- Washington State: Jail Phone Rates Increase as Video Replaces In-Person Visits, by Steve Horn, Iris Wagner
- Florida: Federal Prison Guard Sentenced for Accepting Bribe, by Monte McCoin
- Class-action Settlement in Mississippi “Debtors’ Prison” Case, by Derek Gilna
- Colorado Accused of Failing to Comply with Settlement in Mental Health Care Suit, by Derek Gilna
- California Attorney Specializes in Representing Prisoners Victimized by Fraud, by Monte McCoin
- Angola Prison Lawsuit Poses Question: What Kind of Medical Care do Prisoners Deserve?, by Amanda Aronczyk, Katie Rose Quandt
- Pro se Texas Prisoner Wins $250,550 Default Judgment in Use of Force Case, by Edward Lyon
- Humanism to be Recognized as Approved Faith in North Carolina Prisons, by Kevin Bliss
- Louisiana Jail Settles with DOJ Over HIV Discrimination, by Dale Chappell
- Rhode Island: Life-sentenced Prisoner is “Civilly Dead,” Cannot Pursue Tort Claim, by Christopher Zoukis
- Florida ICE Detention Center Restricts Detainees’ Observance of Ramadan, by Steve Horn
- Australian Woman Gives Birth in Cell After Guards Can’t Unlock the Door, by Monte McCoin
- Low Pay, High Staff Turnover Drive Texas Prison Guard Shortage, by Matthew Clarke
- Nebraska County, Jail Medical Provider Settle Suit Over Medication Denial for $10,000, by Matthew Clarke
- Iowa Prison Guard Wins $2 Million on Retaliation, Disability Accommodation Claims, by Edward Lyon
- New York: $100,000 to Settle Suit over Rape of Trans Prisoner Held in Men’s Prison, by Christopher Zoukis
- Lawsuit Over Prisoner Assault at Tennessee Jail Results in Settlement, Dismissal, by Kevin Bliss
- Ninth Circuit Modifies Deliberate Indifference Analysis for Pretrial Detainees’ Inadequate Medical Care Claims, by Matthew Clarke
- Landmark Stanford Prison Experiment Criticized as a Sham, by Steve Horn
- U.S. Marshals Capture Fugitive Former Prison Guard After 10 Years on the Run, by Monte McCoin
- Kentucky Reluctantly Returns to Prison Privatization
- New Jersey County Pays $95,000 to Female Lawyer “Wanded” Between Legs at Jail, by Christopher Zoukis
- Federal Jury Awards $6 Million to Epileptic Colorado Prisoner, but New Trial Ordered, by Matthew Clarke
- $10 Million Class-action Lawsuit Against Virginia Jail Results in $725,000 Settlement, by R. Bailey
- HRDC Files Censorship Suit Against New Mexico Jail; Court Orders Dismissal Based on Mootness, by Steve Horn
- Florida Lawyer Arrested for Jail Porn Escapades
- Two Former Oklahoma Death Row Prisoners Obtain $3.15 Million Settlement, by Derek Gilna
- Jury Awards North Carolina Prisoner $15,000 for Staff Sexual Assault
- Formerly Incarcerated Chef Plans to Revolutionize Ramen, by Steve Horn
- Kentucky Law Requiring Abused Spouse to Pay for Abuser’s Divorce Attorney Abolished
- Fifth Circuit Upholds Convictions of Louisiana Jail Staff for Failing to Stop Abuse, by Matthew Clarke
- North Carolina Fined $190,000 for Mismanagement of Prescription Medication, by Monte McCoin
- Arizona: Lawsuit Spurs Significant Reforms for Death Row Prisoners, by Derek Gilna
- Oregon County Pays $2.85 Million for Dehydration Death of Mentally Ill Jail Prisoner, by Dale Chappell
- Black Liberation Army Members Convicted of Murdering Cops Granted Parole, by Christopher Zoukis
- Editorial: The Case Against Florida’s Amendment 4 on Felon Voting Rights, by Paul Wright
- Private Prison Company Pays to Play; Federal Election Commission Fails to Act, by Christopher Zoukis
- The Big Business of Prisoner Care Packages: Inside the Booming Market for Food in Pouches, by Taylor Elizabeth Eldridge
- Solitary Confinement Reforms Sweeping the Nation but Still Not Enough, by Christopher Zoukis
- From the Editor, by Paul Wright
- Advocacy Groups Call for End to Ban on In-person Visits at Tennessee Jail
- News in Brief
More from Dale Chappell:
- Government Snitches: Incentivized Witnesses Are the Leading Cause of Wrongful Convictions, Feb. 14, 2019
- Facebook Tells Law Enforcement to Quit Using Phony Accounts, Feb. 14, 2019
- NY Election Websites Tell Parolees They Can’t Vote, Even Though They Can, Feb. 14, 2019
- Connecticut DOC Settles Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawsuit for $1.3 Million, Feb. 4, 2019
- Preliminary Settlement in Class-Action HCV Suit Against Pennsylvania DOC, Feb. 4, 2019
- Montana Supreme Court Overrules Its Precedents Confusing Venue and Jurisdiction, Announces Venue Is Waivable But Cannot Waive Jurisdiction, Jan. 18, 2019
- Sixth Circuit Holds Tennessee Burglary Not Violent Felony Under ACCA, Overturning Previous Controlling Authority in Light of SCOTUS’ Mathis Opinion, Jan. 18, 2019
- Maine Supreme Court Rules Double Jeopardy Bars Re-Use of Evidence at Second Trial After Acquittal Based on Same Evidence at First Trial on Different Charges, Jan. 18, 2019
- Minnesota Supreme Court Clarifies Rule Against Judicial ‘Participation’ in Plea Negotiations, Jan. 17, 2019
- Study Shows Reassigning Problem Cops Could Have Saved Chicago More than $6 Million in Lawsuit Payouts, Jan. 17, 2019
More from these topics:
- Baby Dies Days After Prisoner Gives Birth in Isolation Cell at Texas Jail, Feb. 5, 2019. Medical Misconduct, Medical, OB/GYN, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $1 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Texas Jail Prisoner’s Death, Feb. 5, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Imprisoning America’s Mentally Ill, Feb. 4, 2019. Mental Health, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness), Suicides.
- $5 Million Settlement in Lawsuit Over Preventable Death of New Mexico Jail Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- $3.279 Million in Costs and Fees Awarded in Wrongful Death Suit Involving Epileptic Prisoner, Jan. 8, 2019. Settlements, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Ohio County Jail Faces Increased Liability Due to Numerous Lawsuits, Jan. 8, 2019. Excessive Force, Immunity/Liability, Wrongful Death, Medical Neglect/Malpractice.
- Alabama DOC Ordered to Remedy Overcrowded, Understaffed Prisons in Mental Health Suit, Jan. 8, 2019. Conditions of Confinement, Overcrowding, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Ninth Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment in Favor of Jail Where Three Detainees Died, Dec. 7, 2018. Summary Judgment, Wrongful Death, 42 U.S. Code § 1983, civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Correct Care Solutions Redux: Poor Medical Care Leads to More Deaths, Lawsuits, Dec. 7, 2018. Correct Care Solutions, Systemic Medical Neglect, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).
- Long-Term Segregation Can Establish Imminent Danger of Serious Physical Injury for PLRA Purposes, Dec. 5, 2018. Eighth Amendment, Physical Injury Rule, Control Units, Failure to Treat (Mental Illness).